Dell XPS XPS15-9062sLV 15-Inch Laptop

Dell XPS XPS15-9062sLV 15-Inch LaptopI got this PC against my better judgement. I figured I would have better luck than others since Dell is using a different wireless adapter from the units that had problems this summer. Well, I can confirm that the problem might be slightly improved but there is a ways to go in terms of making this unit what it should be.

The range as the story goes on this unit is terrible. I have tested it out in a few different areas in my house and it drops connections in areas that a 12 year old Dell beater I took from work stays connected in.

Currently, I have this positioned right next to my 2008 Inspiron ten feet from my router and am running tests at speedtest.net on both of them..The Inpsiron is pulling down 25 Mbps whereas the XPS no lie is pulling down 1 Mbps.

I should just return the unit but I am going to hold out hope that they resolve this problem because I do really like the form factor of the XPS.

I will update as I get more info.

In case Dell wants to create a top-of-the-line laptop, the XPS15 is decent start. My suggestions for for further refinement:

1. The keyboard is about a 7.5 on the scale of 1 – 10 (10 being the best).

As far as available space goes on a 15 inch laptop, this keyboard could have easily been made larger.

Just a little more key responsiveness would also help.

The biggest drawback from my personal point of view is combining the arrow keys with PageUp/PageDown and the Home/End keys. Unless one is a real good typist, pressing Fn in order to do PageUp or End is not at all user friendly.

Another example: Shift+End or Shift+Home is a very efficient way to select text while editing (MS Word or otherwise). With this keyboard layout, one needs to press 3 buttons to do it. … why ?? there is tons of space for 4 more keys ….!

2. The wireless receiver is the worst I have ever experienced. I have photos to prove that my XPS15 is unable to ‘see' / connect to Wi-Fi networks in various locations (even counties) where my age-old Sony or new Samsung Series 7 Slate Tablet gets over 7 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload speed.

I sincerely that this is a curable, short term problem, otherwise the portability of this device becomes a big problem. More and more places around the world only offer Wi-Fi connection, cable is no longer available.

Having said all of the above, this is a beautiful, very well made case. I sincerely hope Dell will be able to cure problem 2 above and we will just learn to live problem 1.

Buy Dell XPS XPS15-9062sLV 15-Inch Laptop Now

I want to like this laptop, I really do. The build quality is overall good, it looks and feels like a premium machine. But it has some serious hardware issues that have been plaguing the XPS line for many years now.

PROS:

-The best looking laptop I have ever used. Everything from the gorilla-glass coated FHD screen, to the machined aluminum body and carbon fiber base oozes quality.

-Keyboard has excellent travel and adjustable levels of back-lighting, ambient light sensor detects when keyboard should be illuminated.

-Excellent port selection, gotta love the slot-loading blu-ray drive.

-Thinner than a Macbook Pro, and more powerful too.

CONS:

-One fan disperses heat from both the i7 processor and dedicated graphics cardpoorly. Throttling IS present in this model.

-Heat dispersed by the fan is directed towards the display panel, over time this causes discoloration in the screen (ESP. visible in dark scenes in games and movies)

-Wireless card is improved over the previous version of the l521x, range is improved, but the card still under-performs.

Throttling and heat dispersion issues have plagued the XPS line for years and while a simple cooling fan remedies most cooling concerns, I beg to question why Dell is incapable of developing an adequate cooling mechanism for their top tier consumer systems. I am waiting for Amazon to send a replacement so I can confirm if these issues are as widespread as the support community says they are.

**03/23/2013 UPDATE**

Replacement came with scratches on the bottom lid. Replacement is exhibiting same throttling issues, with even worse WiFi connectivity than the model it is replacing. Extremely disappointed. Dell needs to fire the idiot engineer in charge of designing the thermal systems for these laptops.

How can something look so promising yet have such issues with basic functionality? This model has been out for over a year now, how is it these problems have not been ironed out yet? Is it any wonder Dell is losing so much money? It really is beyond me at this point. Both are going back.

Read Best Reviews of Dell XPS XPS15-9062sLV 15-Inch Laptop Here

everything works good so far.

WiFi dual band work fine

some old router speed test its no the same as those new dual band routers

i notice some light bleed on the screen but i can live with that

i recommend this laptop

Want Dell XPS XPS15-9062sLV 15-Inch Laptop Discount?

So I am selling one of these in my web store so I might be a little biased, but I really do use one of these on a day to day basis and love it. I am also a Web developer / Designer and have multiple resource intensive programs open at the same time like Photoshop, Visual Studio, Illustrator, SQL server, and IIS.

I upgraded to 8GB of Ram, but have never had any problem running all those programs at once due to processor issues. This thing is just a beast and it looks slick to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment