HP Pavilion dv7-6b32us 17.3" Notebook (Intel Core i7-2670QM, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HD)

HP Pavilion  dv7-6b32us 17.3' NotebookI bought this laptop from Staples on Black Friday when they had it for $599, which I thought was a steal. I am very happy with the purchase.

The 17.3" screen is great and was a must-have for me. I have had a 17" laptop for a while and I wasn't going back! Obviously this makes it not quite as portable, but this sits at home most of the time and goes on trips with me. A 17" laptop is also a bit more difficult to find a carrying case for.

The fingerprint scanner was easy to set up and works very well every time I use it.

Having a blu-ray drive as well as HDMI is fantastic, as I can use this as a blu-ray player at home.

The speakers aren't quite as loud as I hoped, but they're certainly not quiet. I've just heard a lot of talk about Beats Audio and was hoping for a little more volume. It's very clear at full volume with 0 static sound, so that's a plus.

The keyboard is smooth and easy to type on and the mouse works well as expected. One thing I'm not impressed with multitouch. I have used a Mac multitouch mouse and they work very smoothly. This "multitouch" mouse is very spotty to the point of being almost useless. Do not consider the multitouch mouse a buying point it rarely works properly. Even when it does work, the scrolling is entirely too fast to be useful.

The overall design is very nice in my opinion. I've read a few places where people complain of the silver rim being cheap looking, and while it's not solid and unbreakable I think it looks good and won't be easy to break unless you drop the laptop or are very rough on it.

EDIT 9/9/2012: After some months of use, I was proven wrong. The plastic around the speakers on the front of the laptop do break. It's just a thin piece of plastic that broke off on both sides. Still, I'm overall happy with the computer and would buy it again.

The HD webcam quality is OK. I don't think I'd called it HD but probably a step under HD.

The RAM is very easy to upgrade and the model I got had 1 4GB DDR3 stick with 1 empty slot a cheaper upgrade than if it had 2 x 2GB sticks. There is a spot for a secondary hard drive, but I was disappointed to see that it did not include a cable to connect the 2nd hard drive to the laptop. This will have to be purchased separately, and I was able to find it online for $32 shipped.

This laptop runs very cool. Obviously I always take care not to impede airflow from the fan (don't put it on a soft blanket, bed, carpet, etc), but this is probably the coolest running laptop I've ever owned.

The 9-cell battery has excellent life, but does stick out the bottom of the laptop about the only styling cue of this laptop that I don't like. It is somewhat functional, though allowing for more airflow to cool the laptop.

Overall, a great buy and I'm very happy with the purchase. It's a speedy, sharp-looking laptop which I suspect will give me years of computing.

Like a previous reviewer, I also purchased this from Staples at a post Black Friday price of $580 after instant and other "Easy" rebates. I have owned this for about 3 weeks now and I just love it.

Coming from a 15.4" laptop I have to get used to the larger keyboard layout, but the feel of the keyboard is quiet and responsive. I have not used this for gaming, and considering it has the "basic" Intel HD chip I am not expecting much from it but for all other uses so far I have had no issues.

FAST i7 Quad-core with hyperthreading, makes the OS think it is using 8 cores.

4 GB of Ram which is perfect for most people and HP was nice enough to use 1 4GB chip leaving upgrade space for another chip.

Video looks great, the screen is crisp and clear, and having Blu-ray with HDMI out is a huge bonus.

Coming from a Lenovo laptop with the crappiest sound I had ever heard on a laptop, this thing is friggin LOUD! You do have to initialize the Beats audio through the Beats Configuration and turn on the mini sub-woofer, but once you do it goes from sounding like a netbook to a something much larger than it is.

The Multi-touch touchpad is a nice feature, but I rarely even remember to utilize it. One annoying aspect of the touchpad is supposedly a "feature". The top left of the touchpad contains a small square that when long-pressed turns off the touchpad. Before I realized this "feature" existed I accidentally turned off the touchpad and had to recall keyboard shortcuts to get to the internet to google this problem which just entailed re-long-pressing that spot. Why one would need to turn off the touchpad I do not know.

While my last laptop always ran hot, even with notebook hardware control installed to under-clock the damn thing just so it would run cooler. This laptop seemingly never gets hot.

Battery Life HP claims 5.25 hours. I call BS.. This thing lasts MUCH longer under general use. Internet, wifi, normal brightness, audio, spreadsheets, etc. No complaints whatsoever. The battery also acts as a mini stand which props the back of the laptop for a slightly better typing angle. The battery also has it's own push-button 4-light indicator of battery life so you can tell how much you have left without turning on the machine.

It is heavier than I am used to but I expected that coming from a smaller laptop.

Once I got used to it, the fingerprint reader works very well.

4 USB ports (2) USB 2 ports and (2) USB 3 ports.

Using oovoo, the webcam allowed for options up to HD video, but I could not test since the other party couldn't support anything greater than SD from my end. The video was acceptable (for a webcam) and the audio was good.

I intended to get a laptop with a better video card such as a mobile Radeon, but at the price I couldn't pass this up , and I am very glad I did not pass this up.

I was able to compare this to a 17" dv6 laptop which had an i5 Processor with Radeon graphics and this dv7 runs much smoother. Very pleased with this purchase.

Buy HP Pavilion dv7-6b32us 17.3" Notebook (Intel Core i7-2670QM, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HD) Now

this laptop is one od the best PC's that I have ever used. The sleek degign does not allow for overheating. Overall this computer is very fast and responsive. The only bad thing I have to say is the view angles. If you are not looking at the screen at the right angle the top corners seem dark but other than that this is a suberb laptop for the money!

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion dv7-6b32us 17.3" Notebook (Intel Core i7-2670QM, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HD) Here

This is one of the best laptops I've ever owned. The battery life is awesome. I get a solid 8 hours of constant use, which is amazing for a 17" laptop with an i7 processor. I don't know how HP did it, but the power consumption is very low. I have power monitor and the laptop only draws about 40 watts of power, compared to about 100 watts on my 6 year old HP zv5000 15" laptop. The fact that you can add a second internal SATA drive is also a big plus because you can mix and match standard drives with SSD drives, and/or simplify dual booting into different operating systems. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have onboard bluetooth, but I bought one of the mini USB bluetooth adapters and it works just fine.

I'd highly recommend this laptop to anyone who is looking for a 17" format.

Want HP Pavilion dv7-6b32us 17.3" Notebook (Intel Core i7-2670QM, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HD) Discount?

Purchased this laptop during the holidays. It is running great. Upgraded the ram from 4GB to 8GB for less than $40. The Windows Experience Index went up from 4.8 to 6.8 with the additional ram. We let the kids play the internet and watch movies on battery power and the computer lasted over 9 hours. The 9-cell battery is a must for these higher power processors. The security HP SimplePass, fingerprint scanner, is a very cool program.

The only negative is the bright, BRIGHT!, HP logo on the top cover of the laptop. There is no function to disable the light. Thus in class watching a video clip the light acts like a flash light to annoy all the people around. The only solution to disable this light seems to be a hardware fix where you disassemble the screen and physically unplug the light. Unfortunately, this is not something you want to do unless you are willing to void the warranty.

But with this being the only negative we found this to be a great laptop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment