Sony VAIO Lifestyle VGN-P688E/G 8-Inch Laptop - Green

Sony VAIO Lifestyle VGN-P688E/G 8-Inch Laptop - GreenMaybe I got a fluke, but Sony's so-called "full laptop" computer in an 8" form factor is like trying to run Vista on your mom's old P3. Seriously, this thing absolutely crawls. All this would be acceptable were it not for the very mediocre battery life (forget 4 hours, I couldn't even manage 2 with moderately heavy use), when any other netbook (that's right, netbook) for well under half the price outperforms it in battery life AND performance. Ironic; the 1.33Ghz processor really is a step down from the 1.66Ghz Atoms in netbooks, despite what I've been told to the contrary about the different "architecture."

But that's just on the hardware front. It powers on fast enough, but right from the get-go you're slammed with loads of bloatware and tons of programs that are slow to load into memory, one after the other (that's right, it's not even a dual core). These can be uninstalled--though not cleanly, as they leave some registry junk data behind. But there's little that can be done about yet another software-related problem: drivers. The video driver on here is one of the worst experiences I've had to date with video displays. HD video was an absolute disaster, even though the chipset (google "Poulsbo" or GMA500) claims it to be able to decode 720p HD video. So when I tried to play a simple HQ youtube vid (not even HD) and met with stuttering far worse than my friend's Asus Eee PC, which cost about 350, I was understandably upset. As for the faster disk drive with the SSD, this may be true. But when you can't run even basic productivity apps at full speed, any HD speed increase was unnoticeable. My Eee for instance has a conventional "slow" HD but gets the job done (except for copying files) much more quickly.

A lot of this might be Vista's fault. But before you think of downgrading to the faster, lighter XP, let me warn you--you'll have even more issues with Sony's drivers. Linux? Forget about it; Intel's Poulsbo drivers are in a pitiful state there too. When the most appealing attribute of the system--the hi-res screen, mind you--is nearly unusable with any other options, one can't help but feel a bit ripped off. The webcam's quality isn't very good (the Eee wins again), and the WWan (mobile broadband) is locked to Verizon, so don't think about other companies unless you "unlock" the chip: more time and trouble. The wireless-N support is supposed to be great, but it was dodgy on my home network (maybe it was just my unit or config...or vista, but again, my other devices worked fine). They keyboard and ergonomics are fine, but again, the only good words for this unit, for this price, are surface-deep.

Parting advice: the reviews on this "Lifestyle PC" are low for good reason. I really wish I'd seen Amazon's reviews earlier. (This unit wasn't from Amazon but from Sony themselves).

I bought this with about $550 couple month ago and have been using it in my business trips.

It is very light weighted and full function PC laptop and it a wonderful device to remote log into the corporate desktop and get some work done.

The preloaded Windows Vista home was a pain and I was able downgrade it to Windows XP, which makes the machine much faster. You can find the entire XP driver set in Sony's online library (the power management part is kind of difficult to figure out......, and I can't find the GPS driver)

The PowerDVD 10 has fully resolved the issue of video playback issue, as it can leverage on the hardware acceleration on the Intel video chip. It can play 720P movie without any difficulty.

Hope this helps.

Buy Sony VAIO Lifestyle VGN-P688E/G 8-Inch Laptop - Green Now

This is a fine product, in winodws 7 it perform ok, you have to keep in mind is a very small net book made for email et photo storage in a vacation , it like it do the job, do not replace your home computer whit this...but think if it like a speare tire,

rated 4-5

Read Best Reviews of Sony VAIO Lifestyle VGN-P688E/G 8-Inch Laptop - Green Here

I purchased this notebook to use as a travel laptop for this purpose, it is great. The display is bright and very legible (after changing the font DPI to 120 dpi). The keyboard is usable (given the size) and the built-in SD card slot comes in handy.

The main problem with this laptop is that it comes with Vista SP1. After updating the SP2, the performance is much better. I also got the Intel developer drivers from their website and used the "Have Disk" procedure to update. Now the graphics have reasonable responsiveness too.

I think I am going to get the extended battery which essentially doubles the battery life.

Overall, having purchased this refurbished for 600, I am happy with it. I will most likely update to Windows 7 to get even better performance. By the way, the Z series ATOM supports hyper-threading which is almost 2x the perfomance similar to a dual core.

I wish SONY/INTEL would release a graphics driver that took full advantage of the dual stream capability of the GMA500 PowerVR graphics chipset.

For Linux, try the Linux JoliCloud Netbook distro .

Want Sony VAIO Lifestyle VGN-P688E/G 8-Inch Laptop - Green Discount?

I like Sony product overall, but this product was not too impress at all. I purhcased this 2 week ago, with 2 extra battery, travel bag, external VGA/Cat-5 network adapter (since I am traveling a lots and need a small notebook to do my work while traveling). Upon receive, it looks very cool, small and liteweight, but after use it, I am kind of disappoint, it is SLOW ( may be I get used to my 14.1 2.0G CPU, vs of this Atom slow CUP, for sure is slow). I know I can not return it, so I am planning to sell on eBay with discount, it can not really do my works at all (my wife is upset with me to only useit for few days and few hundred off to sell on ebay). I guess the Windows Vista Home and netbook CPU(Atom) is the main reason make it slow, most netbook come with XP (take less memory).

Also, the display text is too small to read(but it display all content within this high res. small LCD, make sense), I have to set text font to 150%, but compare to my regular notebook 14.1 notebook still small. I would say, overall, this notebook can funcion as checking email and browse internet and looks cool, if you need a very small notebook and not too worry about speed and storage space for your daily simple works, this is good one.

by the way, key board size and battery life is pretty good, I like it.

jeff

0 comments:

Post a Comment