Lenovo ThinkPad T520 423946U 15.6-Inch Laptop

Lenovo ThinkPad T520 423946U 15.6-Inch LaptopTop of the line, state of the art product. High quality. Sturdy hinges. Nice keyboard feel and touch. I've used Lenovo Thinkpad T60 for years, with minimal problems. My niece needed a computer upgrade. Researched many products. Bottom line, purchased Thinkpad T520 for her. Increased RAM from 4 to 6 for now, I believe 8 is max. ie5 processor 64 bit Windows 7 Pro. Nice keyboard. Solid, quality product inside and out. Business class. 320 GB hard drive. Room to grow...Easy to set up. Built-in web-cam, nice speakers, sound. This not a super-technical review, just a satisfied user with years of experience with Lenovo Thinkpad products. Thought I'd stick with a good thing.

Only problem I had with my older Thinkpad T60 was internal speaker blew. I just purchased a cheap Jlabs speaker I could plug into usb. Works, no problem. I have a usb-hub to attach more peripherals if I need. NO problems at all. I had the docking station for a while, really didn't need/use it, got rid of it.

For backups I use eGo BlackBelt Portable Hard Drive from iomega compatible with usb 3.0/2.0 500 GB for PC/Mac. Works great, fast, no problems. Small, sleek. Purchased from Best Buy.

I purchased my Lenovo Products from a local reseller where I can just walk in/walk out/upgrade the product. I understand purchasing from Lenovo directly is slow. I think prices are better on Amazon.com, also have option of purchasing an additional warranty. Else, have to get on Lenovo's website to purchase warranty. My reseller did not provide. They claimed to be more knowledgeable than Geek Squad.

This Thinkpad T520 appears to be the next best thing to a Mac for those of us who grew up with PC's. Perfect desktop replacement.

Purchased my previous Thinkpad T60 in January, 08 from reseller, used, off-lease from a larger business. Now July, 2011, still using it. Upgraded RAM, DVD, Jlabs speaker, Windows XP to Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium, that's it. Writing this review on it. Like it just as much now as then. I was tempted to give my niece my used T60 and keep the T520 for myself. Alas, gave her the new one...

I have bought IBM and now Lenovo laptops and desktops for years. While some times Lenovo does not have the "flashy" designs of some competitors, they do have a simple and elegant look. The T520 is a great work and play laptop with a nice keyboard and touchpad. All of the Lenovos I have had have held up. I have used them for teller workstations and business workstations with no problems and now Lenovo is making some really nice consumers desktops as well (I have one as a business workstation).

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad T520 423946U 15.6-Inch Laptop Now

Laptop needed for road, and this one fits the bill. Very sturdy, easy to configure, with plenty of power and hard drive space. Perfect sweet spot of price/performance.

Read Best Reviews of Lenovo ThinkPad T520 423946U 15.6-Inch Laptop Here

Since I received this machine on August 2011, it was sent to repair to a Lenovo authorized dealer 3 times already, on Nov 28th. 2011 they replaced the mother board; on Dec 29th. 2011 they replaced the hard disk; on June 6th 2012 they replaced the motherboard again. The Lenovo warranty expired on Aug. 22th 2012. On Aug. 28th, it had a problem with the hard disk again and I paid to replace it because Lenovo refuses to extend the warranty. Now it is broken again and the problem is with the mother board that needs to be replaced again.

I spend more time fixing this unit than effectively using it. I am very unhappy with this purchase. I never had or heard some saying it was needed to replace a computer motherboard 3 times and hard disk twice in less than 12 months period.

I contacted Lenovo and asked them replace the machine; they claim they cannot because it was bought from a third party dealer and there is not they can do about.

I found other users complaining about the same problem and someone informed that model has a design problem. It has to do with a batch of faulty EEPROM chip used in the Edge series produced at the end of the 2011.

I would like to return this notebook and have the money back or exchange by another one that has the same features, but I have to accept the loss because Lenovo warranty cover only for 12 months period.

Want Lenovo ThinkPad T520 423946U 15.6-Inch Laptop Discount?

I did a ton of research and finally decided to purchase the Lenovo T520. For the first month all was well, then suddenly the computer crashed and blue screened. Lenovo support sent recovery disks which did not work. Then sent a new hard drive that did not work. Two weeks without a computer and I sent it into the depot for repair. The depot had the machine for another week and returned it "repaired". I turned on the machine the first time and it crashed at start up exactly as it had when I sent it in.

Called support and told them I wanted a refund and was told that wasn't an option because I had the machine for 21 days. They said to send it back to the depot for a "level 2" repair. I asked why the machine had ever been returned to me when all someone at the depot had to do was turn it on and watch it crash at start up. Was told they couldn't answer that question. When asked who could, they told me "no one could answer that question". Really!!

I guess I will send it in and trust the "level 2" technicians to have a clue. I'm not optimistic.

Bottom line I will never purchase another Lenovo machine and let my experience be a warning to you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment