HP Pavilion dv6-3140us 15.6-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 5 Hours of Battery Life (Argento)

HP Pavilion dv6-3140us 15.6-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 5 Hours of Battery LifeI've had this computer for about a month now and have no problems so far. I've found that the battery lasts about 3 hours with wifi off and on power settings set to conserve battery life. They keyboard is great in my opinion. They keys are raised slightly above a glossy surrounding which keeps most dust and dirt from getting under the keys. It's really easy to wipe off any dust that might get on it.

The fingerprint reader doesn't work with Google chrome, so if you're a Chrome fan this might apply to you. There is a plugin for Firefox to use it, but I don't like Firefox. Otherwise it works great.

The entire trackpad area is touch-sensitive so that means you can't rest your thumb on the click buttons. It doesn't have the scroll area on the side of the pad like some computers do. Instead you have to use the two finger scrolling, which took me a few days to get used to but now it's simple and easy to use.

The keyboard has a column of 5 dedicated buttons on the leftmost side. The buttons open HP Mediasmart, which is this panel that opens on-screen to access the webcam, video editor, etc, there is one that opens your default web browser, a print button, and a calculator button which is mostly useless to me, but if you use the calculator included in Windows a lot then it would come in useful. The only thing is is that I often accidentally hit the button when trying to use the ctrl button.

After getting used to typing on the keyboard I find it very comfortable as it is not too mushy and not too hard.

This computer was a replacement for my old Compaq Presario, so I figured I'd buy an HP since Compaq is an HP owned company. The speakers on my Presario were fantastic, so I was a little worried that this laptop would have the much-hated cheap speakers that a lot of them have. I loved this one because the speakers are in the front like my Presario and let me tell you.. I was not disappointed with these speakers. They are plenty loud and don't echo like the ones on my sister's Dell. So I really think that's a big plus.

The hard-drive is advertised as 640 GB, which the computer has, but I thought you should know that there is a partition of it that is unaccessible as it is used for back-up and recovery, this was no problem for me, because I knew it would be like that as it was with my Presario. Anywhere from 580-590 GBs are usable depending on the configuration of software and features.

The plastic around the screen is really scratch-prone. So I use a soft towel to wipe it with.

I really love the aluminum body, as it doesn't collect fingerprints too bad.

Here are some little things that I liked about it aren't totally important:

It comes with a pretty long power adapter. I'd say it's almost ten feet long although I haven't measured it.

The HP logo on the front of the laptop lights up, which I thought was kind of cool.

The USB ports aren't all crammed in the same place, so you can use three USB powered devices at the same time and not worry about cramming the plugs in the same area.

It doesn't feel as heavy as you would think, considering that it's a 15.6 inch.

I actually didn't buy this item from Amazon, where I had originally planned on ordering it, because, at the last minute, I did a search and found the exact same laptop on the HP website for about $50 less.

Overall, I'm in love with this laptop. It's fast, beautiful, and easy to use.

The $634 laptop computer worked wonderfully for 12 months. Within a few days of the warranty expiring, the powercord that originally came with the laptop charged the laptop inconsistently, but enough to keep it running. On the 13th month (1 month after the warranty expired), the powercord arced and fried the motherboard. This is an extremely expensive fix. We called HP customer service and were told that because the warranty expired a month ago, we are on our own! I googled this issue and found that this is a common problem. Before you purchase this computer, do a little more research to find out what problems people have had with HPs as well as what problems people have had with HP customer service. Had I done this before I purchased the HP laptop, I never would have made the purchase.

Buy HP Pavilion dv6-3140us 15.6-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 5 Hours of Battery Life (Argento) Now

This is my second HP notebook, my previous one being an HP Pavilion DV9334US 17". I currently use an HP Elite desktop, and previously had a similar HP desktop, both of which have served me well (I work mainly with graphics and book design). My previous HP notebook computer has been a reliable workhorse (passed on to my wife for her new career) and led me to look for another HP when it came time to buy a new one. I checked around, read reviews, and settled on the HP dv6-3140. This computer lives up to the excellent reviews. It is a mystery to me what the negative reviews are about. The hinge seems pretty solid (almost too solid, since you cannot simply lift the screen to open it, but must hold the bottom to lift the screen). The "island-style" keyboard is quite nice, as are the dedicated keys along the left and right of the keyboard. My previous notebook being 17", I miss the number pad, but I am adjusting willingly for the saved weight and size. I also find the 15.6" screen quite large enough (and beautifully bright) for my purposes.

Another complaint I see from another reviewer has to do with heat buildup. I don't find that to be the case at all. Actually, at one point people were encouraged to stop calling these computers "laptops" and instead call them "notebooks." Using them on your lap (or on soft surfaces such as bedding) can block the air vents and lead to burns or worse. Indeed, all computers give off heat, and the more powerful the processor, the more heat will be generated. One needs to use good sense and allow that heat to escape.

Aesthetically, the finish is elegant and (so far) seems resistant to scratches and general wear. The hard drive is huge by notebook standards, and should eliminate the need for anyone to add a second drive. And, finally, I love the fingerprint reader feature. I usually don't password protect my computer, but this makes it too easy not to. Moreover, it makes online shopping and site access much easier and secure. Thus far, I haven't found anything to complain about this excellent computer, though I am still getting used to the multi-touch pad...probably because I don't use the touch pad much, since I bought the excellent Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX (you will never need a mouse pad again).

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion dv6-3140us 15.6-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 5 Hours of Battery Life (Argento) Here

Graphics not as good as advertised, battery didn't last 5 hours. Definately recommend seller RedCore computers, they were very nice in returning the item and sending me a different computer.

Want HP Pavilion dv6-3140us 15.6-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 5 Hours of Battery Life (Argento) Discount?

I bought brand new from AmazonLLC in April, this year, and it is Oct now, and this pc is dead.. MASSIVE hard drive failure after month 5. Can't return to Amazon, so now I get to try to deal with the manufacturer. $500 plus shipping costs, down the drain. Do yourself a favor, and DONT buy this laptop, new, used, or otherwise. It will let u down, bigtime. So will Amazon's weak return policy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment