ASUS G75VW-DH72 17.3-Inch Laptop

ASUS G75VW-DH72 17.3-Inch LaptopI ordered the G75VW-DH72 just a few days ago, expecting it to be a powerful gaming laptop, but a little unsure of it, because it came with Windows 8. Received it today, and after a little poking around and installation of a few games, I have come to the following conclusion: This laptop rocks!

Guild Wars 2, with graphics set to Ultra, runs smooth as a baby's bottom. Not choppy at all, zero graphics lag, just absolutely beautiful! Rift, again with the graphics cranked all the way up, shows zero issues at all, even in crowded areas. I am currently in the process of installing The Secret World (my most graphically intensive game), but after Rift ran so well, I anticipate no issues will arise with TSW.

But besides gaming purposes, how does the machine handle overall? Like a champ, actually. I wanted to know how fast it started up, assuming this would be quick due to the SSD, and my friends and I guessed it would be about 30 seconds from totally off to logged on and ready to go. I've had previous laptops with an SSD primary drive, and 20-30 seemed reasonable based on that experience.

We were wrong: Eight seconds. 8. Ocho. VIII.

That, my friends, is a fast boot.

So, is the Asus G75VW-DH72 worth the money? For me, on the limited experience I have with it thus far, I would say absolutely yes it is. The only regret I have is that it does not come with a Recovery disk, nor does there appear to be a way to create one yourself, which is annoying. Luckily, you can create one via Windows 8, and now I have a nice backup on a thumbdrive, in case the worst case scenario ever happens.

Update I've been using this laptop daily for the last couple of months, and it is still rock-solid. All of my games load ridiculously fast, it works great for creating and editing my podcast, and I have yet to have a single issue. I have worked the poor thing to death, put it under strain other "gaming" laptops would have buckled under, and the Asus took it all in stride.

I purchased this laptop to replace a HP Pavilion DV9700t (which lasted about two years before the plastic screen casing split, charging port was worn out, and one of the hinges failed!). The first thing I noticed about this Asus laptop was how heavy and sturdy it was. It does have boot times in the single digits; rendering the instant on feature practically useless. Windows 8 is taking some getting used to. Luckily there is an option to revert to a standard desktop screen. The first time I used this laptop for an extended period it overheated and shut down. As it turns out the fan nearest the charging port wasn't working. I paid shipping back to Asus but they quickly repaired and returned it to me. I've owned it about a month now and haven't found any other quirks. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase and hope it lasts a long time.

Buy ASUS G75VW-DH72 17.3-Inch Laptop Now

Review of Asus G85VW Gaming Laptop

It's big for a laptop but it's a gaming machine for serious gamers, and very powerful. It seems to have good design as far as laptops go, I've only owned 3. The keyboard is just basic as far as laptops go but it has a variable LED lighting option for dim light conditions. There is good separation of the keys. It comes with the software for a Asus gaming mouse. It comes with 3d software if you get the Asus 3D glasses. You can check out the other options on the website overview.

The cooling system is intelligently designed for a laptop, twin fans suck air from under the case over the critical components and exit at the back exhaust. The fans are near the back to minimum noise. The fans have a pair of metal grilled disk filters that are lose over the intake ports to cut the dust intake down. They could help but still the fine dust could get through. Only a porous foam overlay could filter out the fine stuff.

One filter is easy to reach by removing a small panel. but the other requires you remove a large access panel that is easy to remove but hard to put back due to the snap design. Asus should have designed small retaining screws instead of the snap design.

My version came with a 256GB SSD Lite-On drive that is very quick.

The LCD display is just as good as any but you can always connect to a larger display through either the VGA standard connect port or the HDMI interface. I think these laptop vendors would have gotten smarter and allowed the LDC screen to be removable so that one could conveniently upgrade to a larger external screen. As it is now, one could get a wireless keyboard and mouse to have virtually the same conveniences as a traditional desktop computer system. As it is now desktops appear to be disappearing and the only ones remaining would be the more professional workstation types they use exotic power processors like the Intel Xeon CPUs.

One big problem I have with Asus, they no longer have configuration options on their website. You have to go through retail vendors to get a preconfigured one, no options on hardware or OS. And their customer service seems to have degraded as have other vendors. For instance, I created an account on their ROG site several years ago. Since that time I changed Internet providers and thus email service, but when I tried to upgrade my ROG account it failed to do so. I left an email message explaining my problem to the webmaster and still the problem never got corrected. Well that means this will be my last computer system from Asus, motherboards included.

The system came with Windows 8 with their horrible metro system made for the smaller mobile devices. I'm still learning about it. Since Vista Microsoft has come up with cruddier user icons and interfaces from Windows-XP when you could configure anything on the desktop system interface. But there are ways and aftermarkets software utilities to get some semblance of the old XP-Interface. Still it sucks to me. Go to howtogeek.com to find out more.

But there are some features that are desirable with Windows 8 past the ugly metro interface. Boot SpeedWindows 8 uses some tricks to dramatically improve its boot speed. Improved Multiple Monitor SupportFor power uses with multiple monitors, windows 8 allows you to place separate taskbars and wallpapers on each monitor. Previously, this required third-party software. Task ManagerThe new Task Manager is a huge improvement over the old one. Storage SpacesStorage Spaces is a power-user feature that allows you to combine multiple physical volumes into one logical volume. Hyper VWindows 8's included Hyper-V feature allows you to create virtual machines out-of-the-box. Battery LifeLow-level system changes, including optimizations to squeeze more battery life out of tablets and other portable computers. SecuritySecure Boot provides protection from rootkits that hijack the startup process, assuming you're using a new PC with UEFI instead of the traditional BIOS; SmartScreen filter at a lower level helps prevent less experienced uses from downloading and installing malware, and low-level changes to memory allocation and Address Space Layout Randomization that make security vulnerabilities harder to exploit, even if security holes are found. UEFI This replaces the old BIOS process and allows 32-bit and 64-bit modes, allowing much more RAM to be addressed by more complex processes, allows booting from hard disks as large as 9.4 ZB, allows more boot options, doesn't prescribe particular file systems, UEFI can offer better boot times and loading, and has excellent network booting abilities. But the bummer is you need a newer motherboard and other systems to support all the advantages of Windows 8, especially the newer UEFI BIOS replacement, Older BIOS based motherboards won't support it effectively. So what you will see is a interface called the EFI -Bios Utility for some system configurations.

Well that's the gist of the good, bad and ugly of it.

Read Best Reviews of ASUS G75VW-DH72 17.3-Inch Laptop Here

I do not normally provide feedback, but this was necessary. I bought this computer for my "Gaming" daughter. First, the computer arrived as promised. Second, the shipping packaging was outstanding. The computer box was packaged securely within a larger box. As far as the computer itself, I was amazed. To be honest I have never seen such a fast computer. Finally, the most important thing was that my daughter was ecstatic with her new ASUS Laptop! Thank you Nerds!

Want ASUS G75VW-DH72 17.3-Inch Laptop Discount?

nice laptop,fast shiping, nice packed, not much nosie and not very much heat,and it's lighter then the others, that's it

Save 8% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment