HP Pavilion DV6-2190US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

HP Pavilion DV6-2190US 15.6-Inch LaptopThis DV6-2190us model is a desktop replacement.

Pros: The i7 processor is very fast, has 8 threads of execution (4 hyper-threaded cores) and the turbo boost kicks in when needed. It boots quickly, and runs applications quickly. I was able to install software and still use the machine without noticing any slowdown. It has a dedicated onboard graphics processor, with 1GB of dedicated graphics memory for gamers, I presume (I do not have any games to test it with).

Cons:

1. The fan runs continuously unless you turn it off in the BIOS. If you turn it off, it cycles, which is even more annoying. It cycles even when the laptop is idling (using very little cpu time). I did not notice the fan noise until I worked with it in my quiet office.

2. The keyboard layout takes learning. The pgup/dn are in the far upper right. The arrow keys and keypad keys are smaller than the QWERTY keys.

3. The power adapter has 120 watts output, and is huge and heavy.

Other:

1. touchpad has a lot of friction, but if you use your fingertips, it glides pretty well.

2. The battery life wasn't too bad, but I wasn't pushing the CPU or graphics.

I exchanged it after a week for the HP DV4-2170us model, which is cheaper and more portable.

Note: since I wrote a few reviews for some very simliar DV6 models Amazon has cross posted all those reviews.

I posted a long review of the current crop of DV6-21xx series of notebooks here: HP Pavilion DV6-2170US. The models are mostly the same with different CPUs (one has a discrete graphics chip). All include the newest mobile processors from Intel which eclipse the older Core2 line in terms of performance. Those with integrated graphics include Intel's new HD graphics which are also a big improvement over Intel's old 4500HD graphics (which are still inferior to discrete graphics chips from AMD/ATI and Nvidia when it comes to 3D gaming).

One specific thing I want to highlight about this model is that the CPU is the Intel i7-720QM, one of the top performing notebook CPUs on the market. With four cores running two threads each you computer can (if needed) act like a 8 core processor. When not needed the extra cores shut down and the frequency goes up (part of what Intel calls "Turbo mode". The downside is that the combination of this quad core CPU and the discrete graphics chip from nVidia will drain your battery much faster than a dual core CPU with Intel's integrated graphics (expect the battery to last 1-2 hours during typical use). Unless you are a 3D gamer this is probably not the notebook for you. If you are a 3D gamer the included nVidia 230M graphics chip will make 3D games at lot more playable. For example Fear2 goes from 12FPS on Intel HD to 45FPS on the nVidia 230M at medium settings.

The other thing to note about this model is that it has Gigabit ethernet (10/100/1000) whereas the dual core HPs have standard 10/100 ethernet. Not something that matters to most people but I thought I'd mention it since it's easy to miss when you are comparing models.

If you are really sold on this model but need better battery life you can buy a HP KS526AA 12-Cell Multi Battery for it and get another 1-2 hours of battery life. It adds another $100 to your purchase price. You can order direct from HP with this battery but I'm not sure if that gets you a better price (taxes, shipping, etc...) over Amazon or not. It's worth pricing out.

Buy HP Pavilion DV6-2190US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) Now

Have used now for over a month and have found this to be a great little machine. Only problems I've had are related to Win 7 compatability and not the Laptop.

Pros: Great speed

Full keyboard with number pad

Easy volumn adjustment with visible slider

Cons: No separation between touch pad and buttons too easy to get both fingers on touch pad

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion DV6-2190US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) Here

This is a Fast machine!! Internet pages are there instantly the graphics card is excellent and for that matter the specs on this machine are outstanding.

I purchased this to serve mainly: 1) to connect to 50" plasma and stream Internet TV and 2) as an emergency backup to my work laptop.

Initially had issues with network connectivity. After much time,frustration and effort discovered that the HP DV6 would "break" my network each time I tried to access Internet. Turns out the setting in Networking for hardware had IPV6 box checked. What does IPV6 mean? Turns out IPV6 is a new IP address scheme and my network router did not recognize IPV6 and would cause it to crash. Since unchecking the IPV6 box, there have been no further Internet connectivity issues. Whew!!

However, some unresolved issues remain with Mediacenter. Currently I am unable to setup Netflix through mediacenter, well actually Netflix is setup and I see my queue but when I select from my watch instantly list it just shows "loading" and never plays. GRRR. More troubleshooting needed before I criticize. Instead of going through media center for Netflix viewing, I connect to internet, login to Netflix and then am able to play NF movies/progams up to the connected 50" plasma screen. Not ideal, but a work around for now.

Yesterday I connected a HP USB Hybrid Atsc NTSC QAM Fm High Definition TV Tuner KS523AA#ABA KS523AUSB which allows me to receive digital over-air TV channels. The video quality is very good. The HP USB tuner product specs state the TV tuner is compatible with Windows7. Unfortunately, the remote that is included with the USB TV tuner does not function as described in the user guide. Number keys do not change channels and other remote buttons do not work another issue to troubleshoot. UGH!! Perhaps just a newer driver is needed for Windows7 OS?

Some of the other mediacenter features I intend to use but have yet to test include playing dvds, recording TV programs, managing photos and editing video. Although I am no computer wizard, and this could account for many of my set-up woes it seems as if there have been a significant number of problems. Yet, I am confident all will be resolved, with more time, effort and yes, frustration!

Want HP Pavilion DV6-2190US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) Discount?

This is the 5th HP laptop I've had in the last 3 years. I've only had it for 5 months and it is constantly freezing and the USB and SD-MD ports work only about half of the time. The HP model I had before this (DV$-1433US) also had problems, it wouldn't boot, again after only 6 months of use. I sent it back to HP and they said that I had spilled some sort of liquid on the keyboard, which was not case. I never spilled anything on it. I asked them to prove it and they sad that if I wanted pictures I would have to pay for them to send them to me!! Before that one, I had an earlier model which also had the same problem, it just wouldn't boot. I was a fan of HP of many years but the last 3 models I've bought have been a big headache. I just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites for almost half the price of HP and a very similar configuration. So far no problems. Adios HP!

0 comments:

Post a Comment