HP ENVY 13-2150nr Spectre XT 13.3" Ultrabook (Silver)

HP ENVY 13-2150nr Spectre XT 13.3' UltrabookCustomer review from the Amazon Vine Program This is my first experience with Ultrabooks. Up to this point I have worked with laptops that are designed to be desktop replacement systems or family entertainment systems, so the journey into the land of Ultrabooks is a new one for me. So far, I have mixed feelings about this system, mostly due to HP's recovery media creation tool, but my overall impression is a good one so far.

In terms of size, this is a very thin and dainty notebook computer, roughly the size of a fat magazine. This gives it a very small footprint and it is relatively lightweight, making it good for stuffing in a briefcase or carry-on bag (though there are better cases for this kind of thing). I set it up on the kitchen table and as soon as my wife saw it she exclaimed "It's so cute!" Indeed, it's an attractive machine.

One of the things that caught my attention when reading the specifications on this machine is that there was no mention at all of a DVD drive. The packing materials even state "no optical drive". Sure enough, there is none so loading up software will require a USB DVD drive or a properly loaded thumb drive. This is not a huge deal but it is something that must be kept in mind not everyone will appreciate having to get an additional drive just to load up software. I am not sure if HP offers a DVD R/W drive as an accessory kit.

There are exactly two USB ports on this notebook one USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0 port. For the traveler working on a plane or a student taking notes in a class, this does not matter. However, when working at a desk and getting synchronized with the office computer having only two USB ports may be problematic. This can be overcome by using a hub, but again this requires extra hardware. It all depends on the usage two ports may be plenty. In my case and for my purposes, two is usually sufficient.

There is also an HDMI port, an Ethernet jack and an audio output jack. As is typical with most laptops, this one has an SD card reader. What this notebook does not have, though, is a VGA or DVI output. This is not necessarily a problem as this is a notebook made for someone on the go, but it does mean that connecting to a projector requires using another method.

This notebook is Bluetooth capable. This is a good thing for a lot of people. For me, though, it is less important as I have no Bluetooth accessories. I do appreciate the availability though so that I can connect accessories to it in the future.

Screen type is important to many people glossy, matte, anti-glare... This particular system has a very bright and clear glossy screen which is fine for me but may disagree with others who dislike the reflections that occur and the glare from lights. Keep this in mind.

Pleasantly, there is not a huge amount of "bloatware" on this system. Looking through the list of installed software, HP has not overly cluttered the drive with extra stuff that you won't need (though there is some stuff that I know I will never, ever use). MS Office is preloaded as is Norton Internet Security these are simple to uninstall if there is no need for them. That said, HP and Symantec have arranged a two-year license on Norton Internet Security which is outstanding for a new system right out of the box every system I have seen up to this point came with only 60-90 days of updates for the bundled internet security suite.

My first order of business when I brought the system up was to launch the recovery media creation tool. I plugged in my DVD drive, kicked off the process, and burned 9 DVDs on the way to making a set of 5 recovery DVDs. The process errored out repeatedly, complaining of errors though the DVD media I have has been reliable. I am not sure if there is a weakness in the creation tool, the DVD drive or the platters, but the process took a lot longer than it should have taken. Regardless, there is something else about the process that is even more troublesome HP allows you to make ONE and only one copy of the recovery media. If one of the five DVDs goes bad, then it's all over. This is specific to HP Sony and Asus both allow you to make multiple copies, and my other HP laptop enforced the same limit of one copy.

I dug into the performance measurement tool and the system reports a Windows Experience number of 5.6, driven by the graphics chipset (and it was the desktop graphics, not the gaming graphics, that was low). The highest number was actually the SS hard drive at 8.1, even outscoring the CPU and memory! This is a snappy little system and while it's not built for heavy gaming it has enough horsepower to handle many games.

Relating to performance because of the solid-state drive, power-on to operational time is less than 10 seconds. I absolutely love how fast this machine boots up!

I am no fan of touchpads and to be honest I find the touchpad on this notebook worse than average. It is raised which makes it too easy to inadvertently tap it while typing, and because of the way it is raised it's too easy to get stuff in the crevices around it.

As far as traveling with this notebook, it should be said that there are smaller, more portable machines out there. This one has a 13.3" screen but I have seen much smaller systems. Then again, these smaller systems usually have less power and are less capable. It comes down to whether you prefer more compactness at the expense of power or more power at the expense of compactness.

This system comes preloaded with Windows 8. In a nutshell I find it to resemble a cross between Windows 7 and MS Zune. I am not going to go into a full review of Windows 8 but I will very briefly summarize though it's best suited for tablets, it actually works nicely on this notebook and though there is a learning curve it's not bad.

Finally, I should mention the speaker system. My very first HP laptop came with Altec Lansing speakers built in to the unit. This system comes with Beats audio, and I have found them to be roughly equivalent. Sound quality is very good, especially coming from such a small machine.

HP has put together a very nice system in this Ultrabook. It is small, fast and powerful. I do not like the way it builds recovery media (and restricts you to a single copy), and I am a little bit concerned by not having more than 2 USB ports, but when considering that this machine is built for the traveler or student, this is a very nice system that's worth a look.

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program ...consider this first.

This is my first experience with an ultrabook, and many of my friends will tell you that their first experience with an ultrabook is me coming up to them and saying, "check out this amazing new ultrabook"! The HP Envy Spectre XT is an outstanding choice for your SECOND computer. It is sleek, light, easy to work with, and really fast.

As I said, this is a great choice for your second computer. If you are looking for a primary computer, this is probably not going to work for you. I hate to start describing this wonderful little PC with its drawbacks, but here are the limitations. First, there is no optical drive. No CDs, DVDs, BluRay, etc. If you want to watch the occasional movie on disk, this isn't for you. Second, the hard drive is tiny. How tiny? Well at 128 GB, it is only twice the size of the largest iPhone for storage. While most iOS apps are designed to be under 1GB in size, most PC programs aren't. The OS and pre-installed software leaves you with about 90GB of usable space. That is really small. Again, not a solution for your primary PC. Finally, the GPU is not very powerful, so while the i5 processor is very speedy, the graphics aren't sufficient for most gaming. This is why I compared this to a tablet.

If you're still reading, I'll assume you have another desktop or laptop to use for your main PC, and that you are in the market for a super portable workhorse. If that's the case, look no further!

The HP Envy Spectre XT boots up faster than any other computer I have ever used. About 10 seconds! Nevertheless, you won't be booting this up often, since as an ultrabook with Windows 8, you never have to re-boot. That means it is always ready for you. You hit the power button and it is ready to work in moments. Just like an iPad, but a second or two longer. It is able to do this because Windows 8, combined with a SSD (the "hard drive" is actually flash RAM) allows it to stay suspended using almost zero power, but still be ready to go in no time. Programs load so quickly you don't even notice them loading. I keep comparing this to iOS devices, but this really isn't like any other computer you've ever used.

Once open, you are faced with the Windows 8 Metro screen. This isn't intended to be a Windows 8 review, but some parts of Windows 8 are integral to the ultrabook. For example, the glide pad, with multi-touch, makes navigating Windows 8 so easy. Another nice aspect is that you don't really have to "close" programs like you have done with previous versions of Windows. All you do is hit the Windows key and you're back to Metro. I have had every program on this PC "running" at the same time, and there was zero lag. Apparently, Windows 8 handles app switching much like iOS does. Less for the user to think about, more just getting to work.

As for getting to work, in Windows 8 you have the "App Store," just like you do with iOS. This means that the fact that you do not have an optical drive isn't a huge deal. Many of the programs you will use, you can just download from the Windows store. Netflix, Office, Angry Birds, etc. are all available as downloads. There is a great deal of XBOX integration here too, and XBOX Glass is a cool interface. For comparison (and simply because it is one of my favorite games) I downloaded Zen Pinball FX2. I then re-purchased all the Marvel themed tables. This way, I could compare them with their counterparts on my iPhone and on the XBOX 360. The tables looked exactly like their XBOX counterparts, but this is where the GPU showed its weakness. The ball movement visibly lags here, where it is fluid on the XBOX and iPhone 4S. Nevertheless, the game is very playable and well worth the purchase. Despite the integration of the Windows 8 Store, you can sideload software, but it takes a little know-how. I am able to copy the installation files from my software to another of my PCs, then I can install the software to the ultrabook. Finally, in the case of games, many require the DVD to be inserted whenever you play. Obviously, this is impossible here, but if you can find a "NOCD" patch for you game, you will be up and running. For most people, this won't be an issue, however, because you just don't have the drive space or GPU for the typical game that would require this type of work-around.

On the topic of user interface, the HP Envy Spectre shines. The keyboard is backlit for non-optimal room lighting situations, yet it doesn't appear to hit the battery life too badly for the feature. The glidepad is as good as a glidepad gets, but they are all difficult at best. The surface of the glidepad is smooth and responsive. There aren't separate buttons for right and left click. Instead, the whole glidepad responds to touch and to press. Windows 8 uses these touches differently, so it is a required feature of the glidepad. Unfortunately, due to the nature of a touch/click glidepad, I often find my cursor jumping up or down (mostly up) a half inch when I try to click. It takes a little getting used to, but it is worth it.

Finally, the ultrabook stays cool on your lap. Gone is the exhaust fan and the feeling that your pants are going to catch fire after a half hour of working. There is no need for a lap-desk to use with this ultrabook.

Small, fast, sleek, and light (I know it lists as 3 pounds, but it feels lighter), this is just the solution for portable work. As I began, if you are thinking about a tablet, you should consider this as an alternative. You get full Windows 8, full Microsoft Office (separate purchase), full printing capabilities, full Internet Explorer (or whatever other browser you like), and a full keyboard. The battery life is extraordinary, but still not what you get from an iPad. So, if you just want to surf the web and check your email, get a Chromebook. If you want a large iPhone, get an iPad. If you want a workhorse, get the HP Envy Spectre XT. You won't regret it!

Buy HP ENVY 13-2150nr Spectre XT 13.3" Ultrabook (Silver) Now

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program Actually they have been here for a while, but I get the feeling that this is both a transition away from the desktop and a response to the tablet. The HP Spectre XT 13-2150nr 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black), is my first foray into the world of the ultrabook and I have to say I'm impressed and a little apprehensive at the same time.

I have been using a desktop computer since the Commodore days of the mid 80s. Over the decades I have built up a pretty set collection of procedures for getting things done. The hardware and software change over the years, but the basic idea stays pretty much the same. The Ultrabook, in combination with Windows 8 asks you to change some pretty basic assumptions about computing. If you're ready for the change, you're going to love it. If you're not ready to take that next step, this probably isn't the machine you're looking for.

The Spectre XT comes in a box so small that would not comfortably hold some of the power adaptors for notebook computers I've owned over the years. There is precious little in the box either. The package includes a relatively small power adaptor and the machine itself, along with a few obligatory sheets of "Quick Start" type documentation.

The computer comes in a satin-like sleeve. The documentation says it weighs just a whisper over three pounds, but I swear it feels light as a feather to me. The computer is very sleek looking. It is brushed aluminum with black plastic highlights and a black bezel around the screen. If I were judging it on design style alone, it would get an unqualified thumbs up. It is a good looking, very compact, and light as it could be.

As you face the open machine, you will find the audio, HDMI, SD card, and power ports on the right. The USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and network ports are on the left. The power switch is on the left side of the lower body just above the keyboard. One thing you won't find is an optical drive. There is no DVD or BluRay in this machine.

The screen is glossy, which could create problems for anyone sensitive to reflections. The output is clear and very sharp. I normally work with a large format laptop. My current machine has a 17" screen. So I was a little concerned about how I would adjust to a 13" display. I was very impressed. The output was so crisp the smaller text and graphics were no problem.

The keyboard is very nicely backlit and has a nice responsive feel to it. The "Beats Audio" and four built-in speakers provide sound that is well above average for a notebook. The built-in Web Cam is nicely designed and works well. Battery life is so-so at an estimated five hours per charge.

It takes this machine all of 10 seconds to boot up....amazing! You open onto the Windows 8 Metro screen. If you own an ipod touch, ipad or iphone it will look and act very familiar. The glidepad allows for the same types of manipulation as the Apple IOS.

As you will soon discover, booting will pretty much be a thing of the past. Windows 8 along with the Spectre XT just goes to sleep between sessions. With basically no moving parts, standby power consumption is nearly zero, as is your wait time. Just hit the power button and you are nearly instantly ready to get to work. Loading programs feels more like switching between open applications, it is just that quick.

How you plan to use this machine will, in large part, determine how satisfied you are with it. The Spectre XT 13-2150nr and it's Windows 8 operating system want you to think of them as a mobile device. The tiny hard drive(less than 100GB of usable space) and the lack of an optical drive, mean you will be downloading "apps" from an app store in order to work. The system comes with MS Office 2010 installed, but you will have to buy a license in order to use it. The designers of the computer and Windows 8 obviously intend you to keep most of your storage in the "cloud" and stream most media.

This is not going to work as a desktop replacement for many applications. No video or high detail photo editing. No serious design or coding work. This machine is designed for on-the-go communication, writing, streaming and playing. If that sounds like what you're looking for this little machine is slick, sleek and lightning fast.

Read Best Reviews of HP ENVY 13-2150nr Spectre XT 13.3" Ultrabook (Silver) Here

I received this lovely ultrabook by UPS today and the track pad worked well enough for me to register my ultrabook and add my Microsoft Student Teacher with speed and ease I might add; I was a bit scared because I read the mumbo jumbo previous people left about this laptop and I started to second guess my decision. I am just a regular student that owned a previous HP but the hard drive broke and my IT guy at worked told me it would be better just to upgrade my situation. He started to tell me about the SSD hard drive and how this was the new technology that I needed to be up to date in computer technology. So I shopped around and found this one this one with all the features I needed on Amazon. I am in my class now writing this review and I love the touch of the keys the backlighting (although my IT says that its just cosmetic, not a necessity!! But HEY, he's a guy!! lol) It comes with this suede like holder it will not get scratched or smeared. OH and the beats By Dre, the idiot at Best Buy said there is no difference unless I plug it into output speakers, but let me tell you, when you play Pandora, it is just like the headphones, and I say this because you can actually hear words that you can not hear on your phone. WONDERUL!! If you are not from the GEEK Squad, you will be pleased with this purchased and as far as the fan, I do not have that problem but I hope you know you are not suppose to have this on your comforter on your bed, it needs to be on a flat surface like a desk or a portable one. I'm sure the computer geeks were aware but just in case some of us civilians were not!! Happy hunting, this one is a winner winner... you know the rest

Want HP ENVY 13-2150nr Spectre XT 13.3" Ultrabook (Silver) Discount?

This laptop has a quick run and startup speed. But the win 8 system and apps take up too much storage spaces. We only have 60 GB storage space. it is not enough to store our daily data and apps

Save 32% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment