Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 LED TruBrite 17.3-Inch Laptop (Grey)

Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 LED TruBrite 17.3-Inch LaptopThere are many things to love about the Toshiba L675. The screen is fantastic. It's bright and wide and clear and easy to read. I also like the traditional PC numeric keypad to my right. As a former bookkeeper, it makes adding up lots of numbers easy work. The Toshiba L675 has lots of memory, and as an architectural historian and writer, I need that. My last laptop had more than 30,000 high-res photos. This new laptop has plenty of space for ten times that many photos.

However, if I had to buy a $700 laptop again, I think I would spend my hard-earned dollars elsewhere. I've already had a significant problem for which I had to talk to tech support (in the Philippines) and their remedy was not impressive. In short, if this problem (discussed below) is not resolved, I have learned that it will be my personal responsibility to reformat the computer and reload all software and only then will Toshiba pay for return shipping. And then, it's a two-to-four week wait before I have a laptop again.

The problem: The Toshiba laptop gets into some kind of weird loop where it will not allow me to type normally. Keystrokes do not result in letters appearing onscreen. I type at 100 wpm and yet when this problem arises, I have no choice but to type about four words per minute, pressing each keystroke slowly and then waiting for the corresponding letter to appear on screen. It's bizarre and maddening. One day, I was ready to take the laptop outside to the woodshed and "fix" it, once and for all with my 20-pound sledgehammer. I'm a writer and I can not tolerate an ill-behaved, recalcitrant laptop.

In desperation, I called Toshiba and after the obligatory 24-minute hold, I reached "Miguel."

Toshiba's solution is this: About once every 7-10 days (when the problem occurs), I have to turn the computer off, remove the battery, depress the start button for 15 seconds (to completely drain any power) and then restart the computer sans battery. After following this procedure, Lappy returns to normality.

I'm disappointed that this is Toshiba's best solution to this odd problem. I'm disappointed that if I grow weary of this maddening problem, I have to deal with reformatting the computer and fiddling around with it for who knows how long.

However, this purchase represented a tremendous investment. I feel stuck. And so I continue, about once every 7-10 days, turning off the computer, removing the battery, depressing the start button for 15 seconds...

In the meantime, I had the hard drive on my old laptop replaced. When you have a Toshiba, it's good to keep a spare laptop in the house.

Rose Thornton

This is my third laptop and I think this was an awesome BUY! Great price for the stuff(bought it from Costco $699), very nice bright pleasant screen (I wanted to have a big screen17.3") and graphics are awesome, speed is great too with 4GB RAM. I have plenty of hard drive( 500 GB)to store videos/pictures. I am satisfied with the audio loud clear sound. The only cons I feel so far is WebCam seems to be cheap picture quality not that good. I didn't have web cam in my other laptops, so my expectations were high. Also, I was video calling international contacts... just haven't tried enough yet. But overall I am very happy with this laptop.

I JUST LOVE IT !!!

Buy Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 LED TruBrite 17.3-Inch Laptop (Grey) Now

I have been very happy with this laptop. I purchased it to provide a portable CAD-CAM computer that would function fast enough to use in front of clients. The Intel Core i3 chip, combined with 4 gigabytes of RAM is more than capable of performing this task. I use it with a mouse and like the fact that I can easily switch off the touchpad (recessed switch below the space bar) which frees me to use the keyboard without fear of accidentally triggering a catastrophe as my hand inadvertently brushes the touchpad. I have large hands, and the full-size keyboard, as well as the separate number pad were important to me. Battery life is better than I expected, even when using the external mouse; rendering drawings doesn't seem to have much effect on the battery. There are a few negatives (and I use that term loosely) with this computer. First, the button that opens and closes the carriage on the DVD/CD drive is recessed and usually usually requires several pokes and a peek at the side before I am successful in opening it. Second, be aware that the 17.3 inch screen means that the laptop is wider than most and your selection of laptop briefcases will be limited and more expensive than with smaller units. The only real negative I have found is with the installed RAM. There are two available slots and each slot is populated with 2 GB, meaning that if you wish to increase the memory (as I wanted to do) you will need to discard one or both of the existing memory cards. I like the fact that it came with 4 gigabytes of RAM, but wish that Toshiba had chosen to do so using one single 4 GB card, which would have made it very easy to add another 4 GB to bring it to the maximum possible 8 GB. Still, I would recommend this lap top without hesitation.

Read Best Reviews of Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 LED TruBrite 17.3-Inch Laptop (Grey) Here

Like so many others I got a screaming deal on my machine from Costco. I think the screen is great, the hardware for the price is great, the bloatware is tolerable, Toshiba has a good track record, but the keyboard is a pain. Despite the feel (which is a bit awkward, if you do any more than minimal typing you're going to get mad. Keys that are hit once will respond twice, keys hit once or twice may not respond at all. The lady who said to take the battery out, hold down the power switch for 10 seconds, and replace the battery was right on. It DOES fix the problem, temporarily. Thanks to her for the advice.

Want Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 LED TruBrite 17.3-Inch Laptop (Grey) Discount?

I used to like Toshiba computers until I upgraded to the Satellite L675. The price seemed good, and the memory and processing speed appeared fantastic. However, shortly after starting to use this computer, I found the keyboard to be terrible. It is slow to respond and will often not respond at all. I was a fast typist before using the L675. It is a terrible machine. It even messes up web addresses, passwords, simple searches. Toshiba has, as far as I can tell, offered NO support to the dozens of people who like me complain on-line. Shame on Toshiba for offering a terrible product, and shame on Toshiba for not offering a means to fix it. If it can't be fixed, Toshiba should replace these computers with ones that work. (I had to correct about 30 typing errors and I rarely make mistakes -here's an example of direct typing on this machine -thi is an exampleof wht it swould look lke if I were o type directly and nt attept to fix any errs due to the inaccurat keyboad response.