Apple MacBook Pro MA092LL/A 17" Laptop (2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Super

Apple MacBook Pro MA092LL/A 17' LaptopI just received my new 17" MacBook Pro. I was a bit reluctant to replace my totally worn out PB 15 Titanium which is over 4 years ago: dings, replaced frames, and other maladies from falls, travel, etc. "Reluctant" due to the new operating system, new chips, new about everything. And then there's the issue of a ton of gigabytes and programs moved over to a new machine. Geez. What's that... days of adjustment, reloading, re-installing, and finding serial numbers.

Before that though, the experience of taking it from its box was remarkable. Who else but Apple would think about the slick box that it comes in? But the accessory box was missing... or was it. The cable adapters were there, a cool remote control (that works with Keynote), and a tight little kit of DVDs and DVD-sized books. That was it. Of course, I didn't read anything... I'm too impatient.

So, that takes me to set-up etc. I started it up, it asked if I had a Mac and would I like to migrate my files (and applications). I said yes. It demanded a Firewire cable for the deed, I complied [not provided, but I had one]. About an hour later, I had a fully operational MacBook with all of my old applications working. No dragging, serial number stuff, or otherwise (so far, that is). A seamless transition. I did need to state that my music would be authorized on the new computer. The easiest move ever. As though I was using my old computer with everything intact, but now a new, wide screen, ultrafast environment. So a little over an hour after taking it out of the box, I was using Creative Suite and other apps with abandon.

I don't want to discuss all the enhancements and how well they work since better reviewers than I have already done so. But I will do a few highlights. First, the wide screen is real estate I sorely needed (and no twisting that might cause the battery to drop out), not too heavy, but real estate and bright. It rests for hours on my leg and I fell no excess heat. The new magnetic charger connection is great: as you approach the plug it literally is sucked into the connection. And the lighted keyboard for dark room users -awesome.

So far, all of my applications work except Virtual PC which I anticipated. I did need to trash the try-out Microsoft suite since my licensed version was co-installed (and doubling clicking took me to the try-out version rather than my version).

I haven't tried the emulation via Boot Camp, but perhaps the Parallels Virtual System might be better. The latter offers simultaneous operation. I have no choice since an important testing system is PC only, and we use it for 1000 students year.

As we would all expect, everything moves so totally quickly, that I have few barriers to productivity. And that was an initial fear. So this is a brief review focussed more on migration and seamless operation. In these respects, I could not be happier. It's a Mac, in spite of the Intel processor, with all the usual simplicities and convenience. Other barriers to productivity? I haven't found them yet.

Turn this puppy on and you'll be singing "I've got the powuh!" This is the fastest laptop on earth. The display is stunning, whether or not you get the glossy version. Wide enough to get serious projects done, in FinalCut Pro, Aperture or Logic. The FireWire 800 port means faster transfer speeds to your external FireWire 800 hard drive, and a great asset to those who process video in the field.

For it's size, the unit is a light weight, but in its class, it's the heavyweight champion. still 1" thin, the powerful Intel Core Duo gets HOT. These are not called laptop computers, folks they are portables. If you're doing processor intensive work with this on your lap, you're gonna cook your loins. For less money, you can get a cheap PC laptop that weighs 15lbs and is about 3" thick to absorb the heat it generates. If you want the best in portables without sacrificing screen real estate, this is the one to get.

The MagSafe power adapter is pure genius. No more cats or kids making your investment fly across the livingroom. If your foot snags on the power cord, it yanks out of the portable, instead of denting your DC-in board or crashing your computer to the ground.

FrontRow offers you what no other portable has remote control for your tunes, your videos and your entire iLife. iLife '06 is pre-installed and other than perhaps a carrying case and a copy of Microsoft Office, you won't find yourself having to buy a lot of stuff to go with your investment. It just works, and comes with industry clad software that also simply works and yields stunning results.

No viruses, no malware, no spyware, no worries. Be sure to snag an AppleCare protection plan with your purchase. AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) covers your computer for 3 years... otherwise you have a one year warranty and out of warranty repairs for portables are not cheap... starting at about $310 out of warranty.

If you're used to using your portable for faxing, you'll need to pick up a USB modem. Apple believes that modems have gone the way of the Do-Do bird, despite the fact that all fax machines still use 28k-56k modems. Who knows what tomorrow may bring, though. Apple was the first to ditch the floppy drive, and thank goodness they did! They got a lot of heat over that decision, but it is a trend the industry has now embraced.

Buy Apple MacBook Pro MA092LL/A 17" Laptop (2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Super Now

I wanted a dedicated machine for Photoshop and general management of my photo workflow. I made the decision for the MacBook Pro for a number of reason. Quality, Value, Good Support, Application Support.

Value: With my MBP I get a high speed process 2 GHz+, 2GB ram, 17 in monitor, 100 GB disk space @7500, 3 USB ports, 2 400 and 1 800 firewire port. I priced this a comparable on Dell and a few other model and either way you slice it this will cost north of $3,000. Whether it's a high end gaming device, whatever, it will cost you. My MBP came in at slightly over $3,100 and that included Aperture and 3 years of support. I dare anyone to make a case for a cheaper alternative with a PC.

Quality: What can you say? The heat output on this is about the same as other Intel based machines I've had. It sounds like that is more than the traditional Mac laptops, but as far as Intel laptops go it's about the same. All of the other cosmetic stuff is just fine.

Application Support: There is plenty written about Photoshop CS2 running on MacTel machines and the performance issue. I read some of the tests, and no only were they unusually taxing given typical use of PS, they were unrealistic for all but the photo pro who must process large numbers of complex batch jobs.

Support: I have called Apple support a few times. Wait times were short, the staff was knowledgeable, polite, and proactive. Same can be said for the IM tech support.

Read Best Reviews of Apple MacBook Pro MA092LL/A 17" Laptop (2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Super Here

For starters, things did not go well initially. My new MacBook Pro (MBP) 17" died 6 hours into its life. Conversations with Apple confirmed the situation, but since I had purchased my MBP at an Apple retailer (not an Apple Store), all Apple could do is schedule it in for repair, but they recommended that I return it as DOA. I knew my local Fry's Electronics sold me the last MBP17" they had, but Fry's checked the other stores in the DFW area and found another store with several still in stock. it was a 120 mile round trip but at least I got a brand new MBP and life has been WONDERFUL since. I am a long time Windows user, but I also am very comfortable in the Mac environment( as well as UNIX). I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac (FORGET Bootcamp) and loaded in XP Pro and the various Windows apps that I knew I would need either due to lack of comparable Mac software or during the transition. The MBP has to be experienced to be believed. XP running in a Virtual Machine (VM Parallels Desktop) is WAY faster than native on a 1.8GHZ ATHLON/512MB machine. OSX Tiger is LIGHTYEARS ahead of XP and Leopard looks like it will leapfrog whatever Vista actually becomes. It does take some getting use to having to use the function key + delete or home or end or pageup or page down to get the those functions in XP, but once you get the hang of it no problem. I also got the Apple Mighty Mouse and it makes XP a LOT nicer than trying to work with a single button mouse. I am upgrading to 2GB of Ram since OSX and XP running at the same time chews through the standard 1GB completely (11-15MB left). Once a 7200RPM Perpendicular Recording is available from Hitachi, I will be moving up from the standard 120GB/5400RPM drive.

If you are a Windows user and want to move to the realm of the enlightened, buy a MBP and Parallels Desktop for Mac for those moments when you need a fix of XP.

Want Apple MacBook Pro MA092LL/A 17" Laptop (2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Super Discount?

I use a PC at work, and do some of my work remotely from home. When Apple came out with the duo core Intel processor, I still wasn't convinced that I could happily move to a new system. Let me tell you; it is the finest computer I have ever owned! I have this gut feeling that Apple made this dual OS move to convince PC users once and for all; this is the only computer you will ever want.

There is plenty of support out there for learning the new language of Mac, but it is amazingly easy. The first thing you must learn is that Mac is intuitive. I was prepared to go through pages of setup instructions to hook up my internet, but Mac did it all for me, no questions, no permissions, just had to enter my WEP key to enter my service provider environment. WOW!

Switching between systems? Boot, hold down the 'options' key, and choose your system. I you want to use Windows, you will need to purchase a new Windows XP SP2 single disk version; If you want Office tools, likewise, though many use the Mac version of Word and Excel.

What is hard to get used to? No 'delete' key (Mac has a 'delete' key, but it functions as a backspace) When you are in the Windows environment, you have to use mouse 'click' functions to delete things. Also, No 'home' or 'end' keys. All the above functions require 2 key-strokes on the Mac.

This is the only trouble I have found; It pales in comparison to the nightmares of Virus software, updates for security and everything else that seemed to drag my old system down. Get this computer; you will never regret it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment