Acer M5-481PT-6488 14-Inch Ultrabook (1.70 GHz Core i5, 6GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, 20GB SSD

Acer M5-481PT-6488 14-Inch UltrabookGot this for my wife whose old laptop died. The combination of Windows 8 and a very quick touch sensitive screen sent her into computer heaven. Add the sexy, super thin look, backlit keys and very fast processor and she was very happy.

I really like this laptop. It was very reasonably priced and came with a touch screen which makes Windows 8 shine. Here is a brief rundown of the things I like.

1) Screen size is very usable

2) Backlit keyboard is very handy when sitting on the couch in low light... I love this feature.

3) Battery life is 5+ hours, plenty for my needs.

4) Laptop feels thin and light. Its not an ultrabook light but it has a good weight and feel.

5) Sleep and wake times are very fast.

6) Has been very reliable.

7) It comes with a DVD drive. Many laptops are omitting DVD drives these days.

8) The primary surfaces are aluminum. Though the back appears to be a foe aluminum actually made from plastic.

9) Although the laptop hard drive is 90% full, the thing still runs like a champ.

Windows 8 on a touch screen laptop is quite nice. On a non-touchscreen laptop it is quite crippled. If you buy a new computer, make sure it has a touch screen. Otherwise, you'll find a program that uses touch and quickly wish you had the capability.

Buy Acer M5-481PT-6488 14-Inch Ultrabook (1.70 GHz Core i5, 6GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, 20GB SSD Now

I thought it was a good idea to buy this refurbished computer thinking the reseller would have replaced parts, updated drivers/firmware etc and fixed it better than before (and I would save a $100). But as soon as I got it and installed chrome and a couple of known and stable programs I began to get 'blue screen of death' failures every 10 minutes (which means the computer shuts down in the middle of your work to reboot... and you loose everything). I spent several hours trying to fix these problems but in the end realized that this computer was very likely returned for the same reason that I'm returning it now. Either this reseller did nothing but wipe the hard drive clean and put it back out on the market or a brand new Acer M5-481PT has the same issues (and this unsuspecting reseller is helpless to fix anything). Either way, this has been a colossal waste of my time and I would stay very far away from thinking it's a good idea to put your money into this product.

UPDATE: I contacted the reseller, they assured me they just get these refurbished items directly from Asus and my situation is rare. So they are promising to exchange it with a newer model...at no charge. My wife recycled the box so I thought I was screwed but they're taking it back anyway. I was shocked at this kind of service. If you still want a refurb I highly recommend going with bestdigitalbuy. I have to say that I love the Windows 8 + touchscreen + normal keyboard. IMO this computer combines the best features of a tablet and laptop and the form factor is quite sexy.

Read Best Reviews of Acer M5-481PT-6488 14-Inch Ultrabook (1.70 GHz Core i5, 6GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, 20GB SSD Here

This would be many firsts for me: first refurbished laptop, first time using windows 8, first time using a touch screen...

But so far it all been pretty good. The pad is a little tricky to scroll with and the touch screen does take care of that but it's kind of annoying going back and forth between the two. There was some screen malfunction about a month after I first got this laptop, but the ol' "turn it of, then turn it on" method seemed to do the trick... hopefully...

Want Acer M5-481PT-6488 14-Inch Ultrabook (1.70 GHz Core i5, 6GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, 20GB SSD Discount?

Got a great deal

Came within a few days of ordering it

Touchscreen and overall a good laptop .would surely love it

0 comments:

Post a Comment