Asus X44L-BBK4 14" Notebook Computer i3-2330M 4GB 500GB Windows 7

Asus X44L-BBK4 14' Notebook Computer i3-2330M 4GB 500GB Windows 7There must be dozens of iterations of a basic computer model, with the various CPUs, memory, I/O options, disk drive size, etc. I chose the X44 (mine is an H) because of: Brand reputation, screen size, newest CPU option (2nd gen Core i3), HDMI output, USB 3, and the good complement of disk and memory capacity and Win7 64bit.

I am fully satisfied so far, coming from a very reliable and capable old Dell Inspiron. This ASUS feels as well built and is nicely equipped and performing. Upon first use, I found minimum bloatware. Manufacturers try to give you extra software that they think will make the computer easier to use, and tie you into their preferred services or way of operation. My experience is that most of the add-on software is more confusing than helpful, and adds overhead that can slow things things down. The first thing was to create system restore DVD's, which was easy using the ASUS utility. It took four disks. Next was to start doing updates. MS Windows updates went well. I hit a big problem when the ASUS wizard for drivers and utilities installed a WiFi upgrade. The WiFi ceased to work and was not even found by Windows. This was only solved by hooking up to internet via Ethernet cable, deleting all the network devices in the hardware setup, and then having Windows download and install the proper drivers. The audio upgrade was also problematic, and took manual intervention to get 'er done. I don't know how non-computer-savvy folks cope with buying and running a computer.

Overall:

Pros: Price/value, good components, minimal bloatware, good display (but glossy), solid keyboard, nice big trackpad, USB 3 and HDMI, textured work surface, great performance, MS Office Starter.

Cons: Some pitfalls doing updates, "clicky" pointer keys, keyboard keys very sensitive, sound OK-kinda weak and tinny, only 2 USB ports, power port location sometimes awkward, unwanted trial software, glossy lid shows prints.

If it lasts and performs as well as my old Dell, I can't ask more.

Follow-up edit: I forgot to mention battery life. For a small battery pack, the run time is great. After a week of use, I have run it 3 hours straight a couple of times, as much time as I ever need, and had plenty of battery power left. That was regular performance. Then I discovered battery saving perf., so how long would it really run?

i bought this computer through best buy for $350, and it is actually a very nice laptop. i don't prefer it over my Sony Vaio. but i also spent way more on that computer.

basically with this computer you get good battery life, fast processor that isnt going to get outdated soon, its intel instead of amd which is a big plus for me.

the only thing i dont like about the computer is that the keyboard isnt very comfortable to type on but that might just be because im used to a keyboard style similar to a macbook

the screen isnt the best of quality which i couldnt realize until watching netflix on full screen and it was some what grainy. but for $350 i cant complain

its a great computer for little money, i would buy one again.

Buy Asus X44L-BBK4 14" Notebook Computer i3-2330M 4GB 500GB Windows 7 Now

Please pardon this review since it is on the Asus X44H instead of the X44L.

I bought the X44H at Bestbuy on 12/18/11. It was advertised for $399 then on the 25th they marked it down to $349 which I went back today and Bestbuy, without a problem or complaint, gave me the differance back. I was very surprised and pleased. I was ready for a fight.

In regards to the "R. Mahood "Luv2RV"" comment on updates. The exact thing happen to me during the updates. The wireless went away as well as the Power management system. I corrected it by doing a restore from 2 days earlier. So I decided to no longer to use the Asus Live Update for anything. They have a software update utility as well as Windows update, so their update isn't really necessary.

This new computer was a replacement for my 6 year old Compac laptop that I paid $799 for. At the time $799 got you a bottom of the line computer. (It was still functioning fine but it was time to upgrade, plus I wanted a new toy).

Overall, I am very pleased with the unit.

Read Best Reviews of Asus X44L-BBK4 14" Notebook Computer i3-2330M 4GB 500GB Windows 7 Here

Overall Great hardware, battery life shorter than average (~2 hours), great for $400, WORKS GREAT WITH BOTH WINDOWS 7 AND LINUX (worked out of box with Mageia Linux)

I was looking for a cheap, light laptop I can use easily for business trips and lectures. I was originally looking at Dell laptops as I have had great experience with them previously, but they were a little more expensive than I wanted to pay for, and they are a bit on the heavier side (albeit they are very sturdy machines!). I've had good luck with ASUS monitors and other peripherals, so I decided to give this laptop a try.

I received the laptop in adequate packaging. It looks sleek, but not overly-flashy (a plus in my opinion). The case feels a bit flimsier than what you would expect from something like a Dell Inspiron or HP Pavillion, but it weighs much less for this reason and is still pretty solid; I feel that any occurence that would damage this case would also damage a Dell\HP case, so there isn't much of a functional difference. The left\right click do sound a bit "clicky" as another reviewer mentioned, but the trackpad and clickers function well and do not have common problems that other laptops experience in terms of usability. The outside lid does easily attract skin oil, but it is easily removed by just taking a damp cloth and running it over the case. Keyboard is welk laid out with intuitive placement of non-character keys

The hardware inside is great for anything you would want to do (4 gigs of RAM, Intel Core I3), except for playing games that require heavy 3D graphics. The graphics chipset is actually just integrated into the motherboard instead of acting as a dedicated unit, so you won't be able to squeeze as much power out of it as gaming laptops or desktops. If you have any games in mind you are thinking of playing, I would do a search to see their compatibility with the HD Intel 3000 graphics chipset first.

One thing to note though is the onboard webcam and mic suck, though that's not really a surprise as it's a 0.3 megapixel camera. It's definitely usable in Skype when latency and bandwidth come into play, but don't expect to record and masterpieces that you can upload to youtube later. To be fair though, generally most laptops lack in the integrated webcam deparment, except for the really expensive ones. For the price range of this laptop, you can't really expect anything significantly better, so I am not holding this issue against the laptop.

My only gripe (and reason I am giving this laptop 4 stars) is the battery life, which runs a bit short for laptops these days at 2 hours. However, I think ASUS went with a battery that has less charge capacity simply because it weighs less. You will be surprised at how weightless the battery is compared to other laptop batteries. Again, this laptop is very light and thin for it's price, which I believe was the point of this specific product. I suppose can understand the decision ASUS made, though my personal preference would be to have something that lasts slightly longer.

One last good thing is that replacement cables and batteries seem to be cheap. So far I have found a replacement AC Adapter for $15, and a whole replacement battery for $35. It's affordable enough where I may consider carrying two batteries with me (they really are that light) on days I know I will need extended use out of my machine without having the opportunity to charge it.

All in all, for it's pricepoint it's a great buy. I would also take a look at some comparable Dell Inspirons if you dont mind paying a bit more if you find yourself wanting a very sturdy case or slightly longer battery life. For any heavy 3d game playing, look at more higher-end laptops that have dedicated NVIDIA or ATI video cards.

Final thoughts: I like the laptop, it's worth $400

Want Asus X44L-BBK4 14" Notebook Computer i3-2330M 4GB 500GB Windows 7 Discount?

I bought this product from Best buy in May and for the most part it worked fine and now from the last 3 days i have been unable to access the notebook. Nothing its as if it crashed with all my information which i didnt back up yet. Since then I've been trying to contact both ASUS and Bestbuy via the telephone and nothing. If I cannot get in touch with them I will sending back this notebook.

I couldn't even locate the product on Bestbuys site to leave a review...sigh.....

Its definite;y not worth the hassle worst zero contact how can i then rate customer service if i cannot even get them. Would i recommend either Bestbuy or ASUS, I'll tell you in a week or so

Asus-Laptop / Intel® Core(tm) i3 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory-Black-X44L-BBK4

0 comments:

Post a Comment