Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D-A06US 15.0-Inch Laptop (Silver)

Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D-A06US 15.0-Inch LaptopI've had this a couple weeks now and I'm still as impressed as when I opened it. The 3rd generation i5 Ivy Bridge helps keep the temps low, and the 8 gigs of RAM is a noticeable bump over the usual 4 gigs that seems to be standard in ultrabooks these days. I often write with it on my lap and heat nor weight has ever been an issue.The laptop also comes with an ethernet adapter if you're looking to plug in. Wireless range is good, about what you would expect.

The real sell for me is the solid state drive. Being a 128, you can expect around 100gigs of free space. Windows 8 boots in just over 3 seconds. I'm not a fan of 8 so I went with a dual boot with Ubuntu. Ubuntu boots in a little over 4 seconds, very impressed between the two.

Battery Life is pretty solid. Between writing and just surfing the internet you can expect between 7-8.5 hours. Heavy multimedia you can expect right around 3.5-4.

Screen is gorgeous and respectable at 1600 x 900. As the previous reviewer mentioned it isn't a touch screen but if you're seriously thinking about picking this up you should already be well aware of that.

I just received the Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D-A06US 15.0-Inch Laptop. It is very impressive. Only problem is that it doesn't have a touch screen. How is it possible for a high-end Windows 8 Ultrabook to not have a touch screen? What happened? I can only guess Samsung wants to unload all of their old Windows 7 laptops by loading them with Win8 and a big smile.

I'll try it for a few days, but I suspect I'll end up returning it.

**********************

Update Apr. 6, 2013

**********************

I have returned the NP900X4D-A06US and replaced it with a Series 5 NP540U3C-A02UB.

Don't get me wrong, if you are ok with not having a touch screen, the NP900X4D-A06US is a very impressive machine. It is beautiful and light and there is a lot of attention to detail. It is very quiet and even at high process utilization it only gets a little warm. The only meaningful downside is that you end up with only about 100 GB of free space out of the box, but you probably thought about that already considering the computer comes with a 128 GB SSD.

Buy Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D-A06US 15.0-Inch Laptop (Silver) Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment