Asus K50I-RBBGR05 15.6-Inch Widescreen Titanium Notebook - Black

Asus K50I-RBBGR05 15.6-Inch Widescreen Titanium Notebook - BlackJust received it.

I consider the price in this review.

I am a frugal shopper and a bit of a techy -I'll be putting a Linux partition on it.

$365 delivered, refurb -no signs of why it was refurbished.

I've never owned an ASUS so far I really really like it. Touch pad is a bit touchy -:-) -but slick in that it is integrated into the body. The two finger scrolling and three finger menu is nice but the pad will take some getting used to.

The key board is sensitive as well, the buttons are big, all of which I happen to like; the numbers pad is a big bonus that I really like.

It is wide, like 17", the screen seems larger than your average 15.6". Good resolution. The battery life seems long, but we'll see.

It is lighter than my last Dell.

This is also my first run with the Windows 7 OS so that will take a bit of getting used to as well.

WiFi is fast and strong because of the wireless N -longer distance faster transfer rates.

Overall this laptop seems very solid for the money.

Easy to configure, lots of options, very sleek looking.

I would recommend this laptop to anyone looking for a budget portable.

I will use it for work/school (I'm a PhD student).

For what you pay this thing is a steal.

I will update as I use it.

[Update] 6 months and still feel the same.

[Update] Over two years old and still going strong. I don't use it hard, but I do take it out of the house a couple of times a week. However, it is one of three devices I use (my tablet and desktop get the most work).

Issues with it:

1) There is a permanent smudge on the screen from stuff wearing off of the touchpad.

2) The Webcam simply failed shortly after my last post. The hardware is fine (no problem using it in Linux partition) it is an ASUS software issue.

3) Power cable is starting to show signs of wear.

4) I could never get used to the delete key placement. Still drives me nuts when typing on it.

Bought for husband as travel-laptop. Just got in today.

Let me say this laptop will be sufficient for some daily use. It is a good laptop for the price. Fast enough ( but not super speedy). Doesnt feel really heavy to me, but then again, I normally carry around a 17 inch dell. Very nice looking. Overall, very good for browsing and email. Probably really good for a student or light to medium usage. Im a heavy user and KILL laptops, so I dont think this one will last too long is you are rough on your laptops. Good specs. Started up out of the box. Would recommend though.

Cons:

-Installed software. There is A LOT of it! Slows down the computer on start up horribly.

-It was FILTHY! I know its refurbished, but at least you could take a can of air and blow out the cat hair and food crumbs (Im literally serious)! Come on, Amazon! If you buy this, purchase some canned air to blow out the keyboard and monitor as it was GROSS! Again as a heavy user, I know a gross laptop, and that one put mine to shame. Im going to have to pop the keys out and scrub with Qtips.

-Small scratches around the monitor. Nothing major, just figured I would mention it because some people are really picky.

-Packaging/Delivery. No bubble wrap or padding whatsoever. Came in a large box ( like a laptop normally would), but just had cardboard to hold in place and skrink wrap to prevent scratching. No padding between keyboard and monitor either. No protection at all (aside of the plastic bag on the outside incase it rained). The box wasnt dented, but if it had been, I worry about what could have happened. Speaking of which, FedEx left it outside on my porch ( in 95 degree heat) when I didnt answer my door (didnt even require a signature I guess), so make sure you are home for your delivery otherwise, someone might walk off with your new-to-you laptop. :/

Buy Asus K50I-RBBGR05 15.6-Inch Widescreen Titanium Notebook - Black Now

First I was pleasantly surprised/blown away at how fast Planet73 shipped my Asus laptop that was well within the estimated delivery time. It is a great balance of price and performance from Asus, which is known for reliability and robust products. It is a huge step up or jump in virtually all the specs and features departments compared to the 12.1" old faithful laptop I have!It's quiet with no heating issues. I'm not a gamer, so a big hard drive and Windows 7 works for me! Most people might not encounter this situation as I am left-handed. The on button placement is awkward for a leftie as well as the power cord. When plugging in the power cord in the rear left area of the laptop, my right hand inadvertently touches the DVD button on the right side for stability. Other from those quirks, its a keeper!

Read Best Reviews of Asus K50I-RBBGR05 15.6-Inch Widescreen Titanium Notebook - Black Here

I bought this laptop to install Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked like a champ! Everything installed fine and works perfectly out of the box--including things like 3D acceleration, laptop keyboard functions, and other things that can sometimes be a pain in Ubuntu. The only problem I have with it is that the webcam was installed upside-down; Asus "fixed" this by installing a special driver in Windows that flipped it back, but there's no apparent way to do this with Ubuntu. With that one problem aside, if you're looking for a laptop for a pain-free installation of Ubuntu, this one definitely fits the bill!

Want Asus K50I-RBBGR05 15.6-Inch Widescreen Titanium Notebook - Black Discount?

As I sit here trying to figure out why my hard drive crashed (again) and how I am going to get my software and files off of it, I thought I would take the time to warn others to avoid this laptop at all costs. I have had mine for two years and it has been a problem since day one. Now I can only load windows in the safe mode and that is even a crap shoot. Of course my back up discs are at home and I am on the road. I am about to throw it in the pool. The machine is slow even after I maxed out the ram. It has all the inherent problems of its predecessor the IBM Think pad. Display isn't that good either. The self repair function is a joke. If I could rate this product with minus numbers, I would. DO NOT BUY AN ASUS!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment