Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black)

Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US 13.3-Inch LaptopI was on the market for a very light, thin laptop with a long battery life. I found this on a whim a few days ago, knowing nothing about the hype from CES, etc.

I'd say overall I'm very happy with the computer. Hardware wise, it's basically a Macbook Air but for Windows. That's a good thing, it has a great, big touchpad with excellent multi-touch, and the keyboard is really fantastic. It's a no frills laptop, it's not full of silly media pads and junk like that.

I was a little disappoined with the lack of aluminum, it's sold as an aluminum laptop but the ENTIRE bottom is plastic, the front face around the screen is plastic, and the keyboard area is all plastic. The outside of the lid is all aluminum and most of the top/keyboard area is aluminum, basically where your palms sit is all aluminum. It's not a deal breaker, but still worth mentioning.

There is a refreshing lack of bloatware as well, which was nice. As in, other than Norton, Samsung just has a few very low resource utilities (driver update, function keys) and that's it.

The SSD comes with 69GB free, yes, you read that right! I did find a simple way to get rid of the useless recovery partition (back it up) and recover another 20gb. There are also other obvious ways to increase space, you can purchase 32gb Micro SD cards for a mere $40, so if you want to carry some movies around with you, even just a couple cards would have quite a bit of entertainment. I personally have a 32GB MicroSD card that just stays in the laptop and a small external hard drive that I rarely use, but it's there. Overall the disk space hasn't been an issue.

The laptop is VERY light, you can pick it up with 2 fingers with almost no effort. Perfect!

Speedwise, I first noted how fast the boot was when I rebooted after removing Norton, FAST, I've never seen such a fast boot, a few seconds maybe? Closing the lid puts the computer in a zero-power mode, and when opening the lid it comes right back instantly. It's not clunky, and it works really well, everytime. I do quite a bit of multitasking including Adobe CS5 and this has handled it quite nicely.

The battery lasts a long time, I'm not timing it, but I'll find myself using it for several hours on end without charging and still having plenty of battery. It would surely make it through a trip from Florida to California, nice!

I purchased a small USB powered external DVD burner and a small external USB hard drive just to have the extra abilities when I need them which is rare.

Compared to a Macbook Air, which I also considered (running OSX and Windows) the price is pretty good. Keep in mind that if you add the 2 additional years of warranty on an Air and the extra 2gb of RAM, the Air actually costs more than the Series 9. The Samsung comes standard with 3 years of warranty and 4gb of memory, though I'll upgrade mine to 8gb sooner than later.

Is this laptop expensive? Yes. But it's for people who can afford it. If you are shopping for price/power, then this isn't for you. If you want a super thin and light laptop with adequate performance and long battery life, then it's fantastic.

Overall 5 stars, it's met all my needs with flying colors. It's sturdy, works great, and is just a great small laptop that I use several hours a day with zero stability issues.

-------UPDATE 10/8/2011 ---------

So many positive responses to my review, thanks! It's been 6 or so months since I bought this laptop. The memory I upgraded when I bought it, and I removed the recovery partition to recover 20GB, but other than that, it's just the way it came. I still haven't experienced any WiFi issues like others have reported, I'm not denying there may be issues, but it's working great for me.

I still think this was a fantastic purchase, I use this little guy every day. It's just so fast, so responsive. Everything opens fast, moves fast. I use Photoshop and do some heavy editing often and it's just so fast. The touchpad has never once had an issue. They keyboard and touchpad are easily the best on any laptop I've ever seen. The battery still holds a long charge and made it all the way to Denmark with regular usage on the flight and in the airports. The computer still looks like new too, which means the aluminum (duralumin?) body is durable. Overall the laptop still looks and feels like the day I bought it. It still comes back from sleep when I open the lid, instantly.

It's sad to see so many negative reviews for a product that I have come to appreciate so dearly. This laptop has been one of my best purchases, ever.

-------UPDATE 8/15/2012 ---------

Had an issue with the screen, the LCD pixels started permanently dotting and the screen needed to be replaced. I sent the computer into Samsung and it was fixed within a week. Keep in mind this is 19 months after purchase, still under full factory warranty. Didn't cost me a penny. Very nice!

I bought this laptop on the 30th not from Beach Camera, but from a nearby Micro Center (though I have purchased something from Beach Camera and was pleased with the experience). First time I saw her, I said 'I do' (not to be corny lol).

Let me say this: there's a reason why the Samsung 9 Series was so popular at CES 2011.

I'm going to start with the looks of this laptop (shocking beginning for this brief review, wouldn't you say?). The first thing I said to my self after opening the box was, "WOW! This is truly a work of art." It definitely is a work of art, even the box was stunning. The metal look, the silver trim on the sides, and the thinness creates an absolutely stunning looking laptop. To top it off, I like how the Samsung logo isn't 'in your face.' I feel like so many companies now constantly try to put their logo all over the laptop Samsung has it tucked to the side for pleasant viewing. The ports are also in the 'looks'/hardware category for me. The ports are tucked into secret compartments on both sides of the laptop. For those afraid those may become loose over time, it doesn't seem that way to me they are very sturdy. The duraluminum body is magnificent it is sturdy and will be able to withstand a lot of use. The battery life is also very nice lasts a looong time, especially for this category of laptop.

As for the inside of the laptop, the fantastic look/hardware factors continue. The screen is beautiful, and its matte screen is just what I was looking for. The webcam performs just as you would expect. It's a webcam. The keys seem solid and feel like they will last quite some time. I like how difficult it would be to accidentally remove a key while using it (unlike my previous Dell Inspiron 1525 where I was always weary about that happening). When pushing on the plastic (yes, plastic) between the keys, there seems to be very little movement, demonstrating the strength of the keyboard. As for typing, everything feels great little to no learning curve to type like a pro again!

Now comes the touchpad. First few uses were fantastic. It really feels natural using it. Moving two of your fingers up/down scrolls through a webpage (however, it seems not as smooth as on a Mac, sorry to say), four fingers DOWN minimizes everything ("very nice!", using a Borat voice), and four fingers UP will put you into aero windows' eye-candy for switching between open applications (though I'll just stick with ALT+TAB). Also, the touchpad is large, which is very nice. Imagine a normal touchpad with left and right buttons, but not separated from each other, and made of very good quality = very natural feeling while using it (hope this was clear enough...); left click is bottom left, right click is bottom right, as usual. After the first few uses, I started running into problems, but this problem hasn't occurred for awhile (see my minor gripes at the end of this review).

Overall, though, I was pleasantly surprised with the touchpad's performance.

This baby boots really fast thanks to its SSD. I experience little lag while computing (i.e. browsing, office, and video viewing). Eventually, I'll probably uninstall most of the bloatware Samsung supplied. Also, I'll probably dualboot Linux soon, as I have been using that for a few years and am used to it (I can only imagine the boot speed after installation O.o).

Here are some of my minor gripes (I didn't think the sum of these deserved a negation of a star): touchpad has been unresponsive a few times for like 5 minutes each time (I reinstalled the touchpad driver...hasn't happened since, though I don't know if this was because of the driver I installed may have just needed a little more use to function properly), attracts fingerprints, no media keys (not a big deal), and no light on the outside showing that it is charging (also not a big deal).

Not a very organized review, so I'm sorry lol. But for those looking for something to read about it, I hope I supplied a decent enough review.

Buy Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black) Now

Got mine from the Microsoft Store, where they have their "Signature". So this unit comes clean (they remove the bloatware for you).

First impressions:

Quite impressive. It is gorgeous, it is light, it is sturdy.

It's an elegant piece of hardware. It's not "look at me". It just exudes elegance with its lines and color.

The weight is quite amazing. Obviously, not as light as a tablet (I own an ipad), but for a laptop, core i5, it's quite amazing they packed so much power into such a small form factor.

The material they used for this is impressive. I can hold the laptop with one hand on one of the sides, like it was a tablet, and the laptop does not bend at all.

Performance:

I also have an Envy 17 from work, with core i7 (first gen) with 6gb RAM. So far, performance has been quite comparable. The fact that this baby has SSD helps a ton. It "feels" speedier than my Envy. You can check benchmark tests on other blogs/sites, but from a user perspective (I'm s software engineer, so I always have Visual Studio open with multiple other programs), you'll feel almost no difference compared to a machine with higher specs (I haven't tested video encoding, etc, but for most users, I expect that's a minor part of their use).

Because this is a "travel" laptop and it has work related stuff, I've encrypted the system drive with TrueCrypt. Did not notice any performance hit.

Heat:

My envy 17 is HOT. I mean REALLY HOT. The desk it sits atop gets quite warm on the left side where the vent is. But I can place this computer on my lap and it barely feels warm.

Trackpad:

I'm a mouse guy. Even with laptops, I'm always using a mouse. However, given the limited number of usb ports on this machine, I've decided to give the trackpad a try. It's quite comfortable. I still rather use the mouse, but the single panel trackpad (that's clickable) is good enough for me to use full time. Microsoft, with its Signature, removed the multi touch features. I've only realized that after I read reviews here mentioning them, so I went to the control panel and enabled them. They're awesome. Three fingers click makes it much easier (for me) to use this track pad.

Keyboard:

I'm also a natural keyboard guy (the one that has the keys you're supposed to use with your left hand separated from the right). I'm typing this review on the laptop's keyboard. While not as comfortable as my natural keyboard, where I don't have to bend my wrists to type, this keyboard feels quite nice as well. Probably wouldn't use it for long typing tasks, but for the most part, it should work well.

Battery:

Excellent battery life. Professional blogs will give you more detailed battery tests. But as a regular user, I can tell you, you'll get quite a few hours of use. Really, quite impressive. My Envy 17 can barely hold 2 hours of work on a charge. Most of the time, I'm plugging that monster in after an hour. This one, feels almost like my ipad. I can get a full day of work on a single charge.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see an easy way to replace its battery. I'll confess that I haven't read the manual or user guide. Just booted and started using it. But from the looks of it, you'll have to use a screwdriver to replace its battery, if that's even possible.

SSD:

This is my first system with a SSD. Unfortunately, the recovery partition takes some 20Gb, so you're left with 99.9Gb of available space. So you'll need to be careful with what you put in your system.

Overview:

This is an excellent piece of hardware. But, obviously, not a desktop replacement. It's not intended to be one. I leave my Envy 17 at work and bring it home occasionally, but now that I have this laptop, I don't think I'll be bringing that bad boy home anymore.

What I would change: Replace the micro SD with a full SD slot. Most digital cameras (that I'm aware of) still use SD cards.

UPDATE (04/29/2011):

I was able to watch a full NBA Playoff Game on TV and write some code (probably not the best code I've written) on a single charge. I still had plenty of battery life left. The light weight and battery life made this quite comfortable; something I couldn't have done before with my previous computers.

I will install Photoshop Elements and a game (possibly StarCraft 2) this weekend and update this review.

UPDATE (05/09/2011):

Regarding the heat. It will generate more heat if you're doing video intensive tasks. I wasn't able to place the laptop directly on my lap after a while watching several videos.

Regarding backlighting keyboard: Not really an issue with the laptop itself, but if you use Truecrypt to encrypt the whole system drive, the backlighting won't work on the truecrypt password screen. So if you're trying to use your computer in the dark bedroom while your wife is sleeping, you better know where your keys are in the keyboard :)

But after you're past truecrypt and into Windows, you'll be fine.

I have installed Photoshop Elements and Lightroom. No performance issues whatsoever.

Read Best Reviews of Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black) Here

Fist let me tell you what/where I am coming from to discard any bias. I have owned this laptop (Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US) for 3 days now, coming from a 1 & 1/2 year old Sony Vaio 16.5" laptop. I choose this product because of its compact size (yeah the Vaio's screen was nice and big, but a pain to pack up and use while laying down) and newer components (the SSD is unbelievable).

Upon purchasing this I also purchased a additional 4GB of RAM, which I subsequently installed before I ever turned the machine on. The NP900X3A-A03US comes with two RAM slots, only one of which has pre-installed 4GB module of RAM. It may seem like a daunting task to install additional RAM, given the lack of a typical easy access panel, and I know Samsung's tech support will tell you that it can only be installed via a "professional," however the process is simple enough, and can be done with minimal stress and effort. Just Google for instructions (*hint* there are 10 screws that need to come out of the back, and use something plastic like a ruler or gift card to wedge under back plate to release clips).

The one item issue I do have, and that most other owners of this product have, is the wifi capabilities. I have researched this issue, and will go into some depth here on this issue, in an attempt to fully explain the problem & compile what I have learned from various sources.

So this laptop sitting in the same place as my older Vaio, receives about 20% less signal strength on 2.4GHz band, and does not even pick up my 5GHz band. I am roughly 20 25 ft. from my router, with 2 walls between us. I read about this problem after I had purchased it, but decided to give it a go anyway.

I feel that there are two primary factors that are leading to this issue:

1) The wifi antennas (there are 2) are laid along the sides of the interior of this laptop, stretching to the back. In a typical laptop, the wifi antennas usually go into the screen portion of the device and act more like a typical antenna (pointing up). However, I'm sure that this could not be done, as the Samsung Series 9 screen is paper thin... understandable I guess.

2) The second issue, and far less understandable in my opinion, is the decision by Samsung to use a Broadcom wifi adapter. I would much prefer a Intel wifi adapter, and for good reason... performance, performance, performance. And as of late, it seems Samsung would also prefer a Intel wifi adapter over the Broadcom one. If you happen to look at Samsung's support/download page, you will of course see the driver for the Broadcom adapter, but more recently released, you will also see a driver for a Intel wireless LAN (released Jun 7, 2011). So it appears that newer manufactured devices will be getting a "upgrade" or better performing wifi adapter, in my opinion at least. I thought that I would be getting one of these newer laptops, since I bought mine on 7/14/2011, however, this was not the case. This will lead me into another point below... if this isn't for my particular Series 9 model, which is it for??? Read on.

So, what's the fix for the wifi problem? Well, honestly, you need a better wifi adapter. Good thing they are relatively in-expensive. Search for "Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Network adapter PCI Express Half Mini Card." This is Intel's newest/bestest wifi adapter, and will fit the Samsung Series 9 laptop. Now, before you go off half cocked and order it, some people are saying that it does not support their blue-tooth. I'm not sure, as I have just ordered mine & am waiting on it to get here, but also, I don't really care, as I don't use blue-tooth on my laptop, in-fact I already disabled it. Anyway, another plus of the Intel wifi adapter, is that it supports 3 antennas, as opposed to just 2. So if you are so inclined you can also order another antenna along with the new wifi adapter and increase your signal strength that much more. This particular setup, I will have a professional do; as I want a 3rd antenna, but am unable to find full/clear guidelines on the install process, plus they take care of the drivers and all that other stuff. But as soon as I have it installed, I will report back on any changes in my signal strength. So yes, Samsung dropped the ball on the less than stellar wifi adapter, but they have appeared to at least try and fix the issue from a manufacturing stand point, and it's potentially an easy enough fix (still have to test this theory). But I also agree that if you pay $$$$ for something, you shouldn't have to go scouring the internet for a solution; that's what R&D is for Samsung... such is life I guess.

Another thing I wish I had known before I purchased this laptop, is that there are already upgraded units available to purchase! Yes, you read right, despite the lack of updated models on Samsung's website, there are 2 newer models available:

NP900X3A-B02US: $1,649 MSRP (Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel® Core(tm) i5 Processor 2467M; 4GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD)

NP900X3A-A05US: $2,049 MSRP (Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel® Core(tm) i7 Processor 2617M; 6GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD)

Well this sure would have been nice to know, before I purchased this one... my own fault I guess for not researching enough beforehand. So truthfully, if you looking at spending the $ on this, the NP900X3A-A03US one, I would suggest you just drop another $100 or two and get one of the newer ones.

One other issue I've noticed the past couple of days on this system is the core temps. The core temps for this laptop, sitting on a wooden desk, are running anywhere from 130F 150F when using, and around 120F when idle; even on a Intel i5 low voltage chip. I assume this is another design issue having to do with the minimalization of the system; having small vent holes on the bottom with very little vertical space of the hot air to escape. Makes me wonder how warm the Macbook Air systems run??? I hope to solve this problem at least somewhat, with a cooling fan pad... will have to see how big of a difference it will make though; I happen to think that if you just could get the bottom of the surface a bit more, it would make all the difference in the world (let the hot air escape).

So now that we got the bad out of the way, what do I like about this laptop:

* Ultra light weight & extremely portable

* SSD (Solid State Drive) if you've never experienced this before, you are in for a treat. My Series 9 boots up from a cold start in under 10 sec!

* LED screen & Backlit Keyboard

* Trackpad about 50/50 here, as I don't really use it, but when I do it works very well (*note* there is a driver update available for download for the trackpad may help with those expressing problems with theirs)

* Duralumin Shell it'll make you wonder if you're looking at plastic or metal, but it's damn cool!

* USB 3.0 port at least on one side

All and all I'm happy with my purchase, despite some initial setbacks and parts swapping. I don't mind upgrading parts, I just wish I would have known to look for a newer model that may have some of these issues already fixed. Hope this helps you make up your mind one way or the other. Thanks

**UPDATE**

So I got the Intel centrino ultimate-n 6300 w/ 3rd antenna installed and it works pretty well... well, it works better at least... improves signal quality/strength, but doesn't totally solve the problem. The tech that installed 3rd antenna did say that the "metal" shell didn't seem like that big of a issue, as the signal remained the same with or without the back on/off. I consider it a good upgrade, and unfortunately for Samsung, a necessary one if you get a Gen 1 series 9. Cost me about $40 for adapter + antenna & about $70 for install.

Also, I upgraded the RAM to 8GB of Kingston HyperX DDR-3 1866Mhz (product number KHX1866C11S3P1K2/8G). This RAM really SOARS!!! The speed and scores are insane fast!!! No heat issues either. I know this ram is a bit much for this machine (ok, it's overkill, but in a good way), but I wanted to really bring the machine to life, and as this is my primary computer, I wanted the best.

Next up, upgrade to the Intel Core i7 2677M, once it becomes available in Q3 this fall.

Want Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A-A03US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Black) Discount?

This is a beautiful and extremely well designed laptop. If Amazon had separate ratings for different aspects of a product, I probably wouldn't have given it a 1. However, I'm only giving it a 1 in hopes Samsung does something about this flaw. As everyone has been reading about the WIFI problems with this product, I too am having the same issues with the wifi card. The broadcom card included with this laptop is horrible. I tested my new Samsung Series 9 against my old Fujitsu T5010 laptop/tablet, and my T5010 outpeformed it. I did a speed test from the exact same location for both laptops in my home. I have a 50mbps and 20 up with FIOS. I used speakeasy's bandwidth test, and the T5010 clocked in at 20 mbps down and 5 mbps up. The Samsung clocked in at 1.5 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I'm not going to go and tweak my router signals so my samsung can get better speeds, because I have other devices in my home that use vatrious wifi standards. Everything else about this laptop is top notch. Sure, I could have went out and purchased a Intel wireless card to fix this issue, but why should I have to pay for something to make my laptop faster? Everone is paying top notch money for this laptop and it should perform flawlessly. I'm returning this laptop to Costco today. I'm not sure what it takes to get Samsung to fix this problem, as they should have went with a better quality wifi card, it would have saved them lots of money. Maybe it takes a certain percentage of laptops being returned before they do something about it, I dont' know. The other compaint I have with this laptop is that Samsung doesn't offer any type of custom upgrades like increased RAM, larger capacity SSD, etc. Other than that, this is a beautiful laptop. I think I'll wait for Samsung to iron these issues out and also for the price to drop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment