ASUS B43J-B1B 14-Inch Business Laptop - Black

ASUS B43J-B1B 14-Inch Business Laptop - BlackI purchased this laptop to use as a dedicated software development machine and couldn't be happier.

Everything about this laptop seems oriented toward function rather than style. The performance seems up to the quality specs of the individual components, and there is certainly nothing flimsy or cheap about the look and feel. There is no keyboard flex at all, and the feel of the keys suits me just fine.

I think this laptop was designed through and through as a business machine. Not only does it have a "business" look to it, reminding me of the old-school IBM laptops favored by my former employer, but has other business friendly features.

The hard drive comes partitioned with the C: drive for the OS (about 75G) and the rest for data storage. Very smart. It also has various security features that businesses love: antivirus, encryption, fingerprint reader.

Don't get the impression this laptop is a business-only machine. Savvy computer users love all these "business" features. You should care as much about protecting your personal data as business care about protecting theirs, and this laptop is eager to oblige out of the box.

What this machine is not: fashionable is a cosmetic way. It is not small, thin, or light. It doesn't have a lighted logo, stylish graphic on the case, or other eye-candy bling that will impress friends and strangers. In fact, airport and coffee shop thieves will be looking for targets elsewhere.

This is one design element that doesn't make sense. With the performance of this laptop, and the capabilities of the dedicated graphics, it would make an outstanding Photoshop computer. Unfortunately, I don't see the stylish, graphic designer types going for this type of laptop. Why put all this capability into a machine that will get overlooked by most of a large group of potential buyers?

There several nice touches that don't get talked about in reviews of this laptop, such as the manual on/off switch for the built-in camera and the caps-lock light positioned right next to the caps-lock key.

I don't know yet what the battery life is like, but I suspect it might disappoint some people. It is not an issue for me, since over 95% of the time I will be using this as a desktop replacement PC (wall power and hard-wired networking). The battery life certainly is sufficient for the couple of hour stretches in airports here and there.

This laptop is one zippy machine. The ExpressCard slot and SD slot come in very handy, too.

Here are the out of box Windows Experience numbers for my specific copy of this laptop:

Processor: 4.3

Memory: 5.9

Graphics: 5.1

Gaming Graphics: 6.3

Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

The processor score seemed low, so I disabled virtualization (used for the "instant-on" functionality).

I reran the experience index and the Processor score moved to 7.0.

Since this is a development laptop running a database server, web server, and development environment, I decided to upgrade the memory to 8GB and go to an Ocz 240GB SSD for the primary drive.

The current Experience numbers are:

Processor: 7.0

Memory: 7.0

Graphics: 5.1

Gaming Graphics: 6.3

Primary Hard Disk: 7.7

I don't know why the desktop aero graphics scores are so low, but maybe because I've disabled most areo features. It might also be using the built-in Intel graphics instead of the ATI graphics. In any case, the desktop graphics on this machine SCREAM.

For grins I added a 48GB ExpressCard drive for the windows paging file, windows temp files, and logs to save wear on the expensive SSD. Grins-a-plenty.

Out of the box, this is an exceptional machine for doing development work. My upgrades push the capabilities to the extreme, making it pretty much future-proof.

My only gripe whatsoever is an occasionally touchy "w" key. Every so often the "w" doesn't register on the first press. If I can't fix it using compressed air, I may have to look into using the Asus support.

I purchased this B43J notebook to replace a Workstation grade notebook that had, after 4.5 years, bit the dust. I had high hopes when I ordered it with Windows 7 Pro-64, lots of RAM and large fast hard drive. Everything to make it a great business workstation. I also ordered Microsoft Office 2010 in order to provide an office suite to replace the Office 2003 I had been using. This notebook has an 'Asus build' Linux partition that even boots from an "On button" on the opposite side from the Windows partition power button. Very cool, I thought. Now for the down side.

I loaded my Virus and Malware protection. Updates from Microsoft continuously... other various programs that were upgraded and 'built to run on Windows 7 Pro' and everything was rosey. Then I activated the Microsoft Office product. Everything came to a halt. It was like I had poured molasses into the computer. It took 20-25 minutes just to shutdown! Boot-up was a joke. Running anything on the computer was slow-motion.

I ran Anti-Virus scans no love. I checked for Spy-ware and Malware... I ran Registry scans still no love. I backed out of Microsoft Office 2010 and restored system restore points No LOVE. and tried a mess of other obvious 'fixes... all documented, that did not 'change the configuration' of the notebook or hurt the base install and still was infuriatingly slow. Then I called Asus 'tech support'...

Almost the first thing out of the persons mouth was you got to re-image your PC. Never mind the data I had on the computer... (note that backing up my files was almost immpossible because of how utterly slow it was running.)

So instead I uninstalled all the programs that had been loaded, took forever. Copied the files I could recover from my data locations, and even did a system restore to previous system restore points, but alas, no luck still sloooooow. So slow that it is usless to me as a computer. I can't take it on the road because I have zero productivity from it. I would like to blame it on Microsoft, because it started with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) and Microsoft Office 2010, but I could not substantiate that. I would even be willing to take the blame myself gee, I just don't know what I'm doing, but I did the same thing on my replacement notebook and everything works great. So I do know that the hardware and software mix on this Asus B43J notebook are useless.

Also, in my experience, Asus tech support is useless, and I have a $1,200.00 piece of junk that I have had to replace, just to get my work done.

If you buy an Asus product, beware of terrible tech support and ill-fitting hardware/software combinations.

You are welcome to contact me to get details.

Buy ASUS B43J-B1B 14-Inch Business Laptop - Black Now

Hasta ahora es un buen computador, lo llevo usando 1 semana, así que no puedo decir mucho más.

Cabe decir que trae demasiadas cosas inútiles de fábrica, por lo que tuve que formatearlo para partir de cero.

Read Best Reviews of ASUS B43J-B1B 14-Inch Business Laptop - Black Here

very slow for i7 very heavy for 14.0. Fingerprint reader works one out of 10 times and u have to restart the computer the other 9 times. Face recognition for log in never worked. Has a million pre installed things. So if u have a CD for windows 7 and can install a fresh copy after formating might be worth a try but not otherwise. Video conferencing is pathetic. Skype often stopped showing video.

Want ASUS B43J-B1B 14-Inch Business Laptop - Black Discount?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice and very helpful information i have got from your post. Even your whole blog is full of interesting information which is the great sign of a great blogger.

Asus - K-Series 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Black

Asus - ZENBOOK Prime 13.3" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver

Post a Comment