Lenovo G770 10375WU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown)

Lenovo G770 10375WU 17.3-Inch LaptopDid quite a bit of research to settle on this one. I'm somewhat impartial to Toshiba/Lenovo products. I was looking at the 15" version but ended up getting this one. Found out that this laptop is an inch too big to fit in the laptop sleeve of my backpack. Good hardware for the price and well built. The back of the screen flexes a little when pushed on, so does the center of the plastic on the bottom just slightly. I miss the pointer stick that usually came on lenovo notebooks.

I work full time on my laptop, so I love the full-size keyboard. That said, they made the right shift key very small, compared to the left shift key and compared to other keyboards I have, so it's hard to get used to that. I keep hitting up-arrow (the adjacent key) while I'm typing and it screws everything up, so I have to slow down my work-flow.

Over all, the PC works fine for office and internet apps. It overheats playing video games, but an external cooling fan helps.

{

The absolutely crappiest thing about this PC is the touch pad. It's got some kind of crappy interpretive software associated with it which auto-zooms the screen and does a bunch of other crazy shit, instead of just doing what it's supposed to move the freaking mouse cursor. If I want to zoom the screen, I can hit ctrl+ I don't need the damn touchpad for that! Someone suggested that it has double-touch sensitivity, so I may be accidentally triggering the zoom with my left hand, since the touchpad is so large my hand hovers over the upper left corner. But I have tested that theory and I can say with certainty that the zoom frequently happens when my left hand is nowhere near the touchpad. The software is somehow interpreting one touch from my right index finger into three different types of screen motion cursor motion, screen zoom, and screen motion. If there is some kind of rhyme or reason to this crap, then Lenovo should provide an explanation with their machines.

}

Update:

I figured out the touchpad is a wanna-be i-pad. Somebody at Lenovo actually thought that a person who wants a huge laptop like this one would be susceptible to trendy-stupid ideas like i-pad style touchpads. The REASON that i-pad has to have a funky touch interface is because it is NOT a PC. It doesn't have a keyboard, so they had to get "creative" to make it usable. A laptop does not need an i-pad style touchpad in it. At least now that I figured out what the touchpad was trying to DO, I can work with it. Also, I found that this laptop has a very hefty and extensive mouse customization section, it's just a bit buried. Go to Control Panel / Mouse. Select the far right tab: Device Settings. It looks barren, but click on the Settings button and you have finally found where you can customize every aspect of the touchpad.

What a pain in the butt.

Another thing about the touchpad: it only works if your hands are dirty. I know it sounds strange, but if you wash your hands the touchpad becomes useless for about a half-hour.

Pros: it works for office apps

Pros: has an almost full-sized keyboard

Pros: solidly built

Pros: has USB on both left and right sides

Cons: it comes with Windows, and you CAN'T buy one with any kind of Linux system (or even without an OS)

Cons: dinky right shift key (non-standard, so if you have learned to touch-type on standard keyboards, it will screw you up)

Cons: no manual mute button

Cons: poorly conceived touchpad (thank goodness you can customize it)

Buy Lenovo G770 10375WU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown) Now

This unit has been a solid 6/10 at a 3/10 price. Especially after stripping out all the bloatware immediately upon receipt, it is performing at least half as well as my high-end $3k Dell work machine at 1/4 the cost. The construction leaves a bit on the table. The one set of mouse buttons makes an almost comical sproinging noise, and the lack of buttons above the touchpad seems a bit spartan. Overall, I wouldn't expect to do any better for the money and it's perfectly fine for low-impact internet surfing and writing Amazon product reviews.

Read Best Reviews of Lenovo G770 10375WU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown) Here

I bought this computer over a year ago, and it has been used by me and my wife.

We have had no (0) complaints only good things about the speed, durability, and ease of use.

We use it at our shop, and it sits on the front counter where people will use it for an arm rest,or sit things on.

We have had nothing but good things to say about this computor, and would recomend it to anybody......

Want Lenovo G770 10375WU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown) Discount?

Over the years I have owned Dell, HP, Compaq and other brands and never had as much breakdown as with my new G770. I bought it at Costco because it was listed for $850 with $150 off, and it had all the power I needed in a processor. The computer sat on my desk and was well cared for. Within the first 2 weeks of using it the fan broke, and Costco replaced the entire computer. Three weeks ago (2 weeks out of Lenovo warranty) the hard drive crashed. I spent weeks on the phone with the Lenovo techs and they have sent me 3 sets of repair disks, then finally admitted the hard drive needed to be replaced, but alas, it was out of warranty. Then they asked, "Is there anything else we can help you with?" Fortunately Costco has a second year warranty and will replace the hard drive, although I'm going to request that they replace this computer with ANY OTHER product than Lenovo. I'll never purchase a Lenovo product again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment