HP Pavilion DV7-1240US 17.0-Inch Laptop

HP Pavilion DV7-1240US 17.0-Inch LaptopI first saw this computer at Sam's Club (eventually where I bought it too) and was completely infatuated. This laptop delivers amazing value for the price. HP has definately brought their 'A' game on this model. There are a couple things you *need* to know before you buy this laptop.

First, the model I bought advertised a 500 GB hard drive. This is true, however it is 2 x 250 GB hard drives. Not that big of a deal, but I cannot believe it is not listed as such.

Second, the laptop comes preloaded with a ton of junk and is heavily integrated with Windows Live stuff. Messenger, Live toolbar, etc. It comes with a trial of Norton Internet Security and a trial of Office 2007. My advice: Get Norton off the computer ASAP and install another anti-virus product.

Third, no operating system CD's come with the package. There is a "Recovery" partition that contains about 12 GB of stuff (not 100% sure what exactly is on there). I do know that when setting up the computer it tells you you should create recovery CD's. I went through the setup to create the discs and here's the kicker they want 21 CD's or 3 DVD's to create the recovery discs. Talk about stupid.

As of now, I have wiped the OS partition and loaded Windows 7 Beta. The driver recognition is fantastic on Windows 7 both my wired and wireless ethernet drivers were install out-of-the-box.

The look and feel of this model is gorgeous. The 17" HD screen is amazing and the whole laptop has this slick look and feel to it. The bronze color scheme really stands out.

All in all, you cannot beat the price of this laptop. For what it comes with, a comparable model from another vendor would cost $600-700 more than what I bought mine for ($898 + tax).

Last, this is just my opinion and should be taken as such. Please do yourself a favor and do not install XP on this. This laptop is too great to go back to XP. AERO does look nice and this laptop should be able to run anything you throw at it. Even a clean install of Vista should not give you any problems. While XP works great for most people, do not fight change and try to give Vista/7 a fair chance. Hell, even try the newest Ubuntu (I think 8.10) because that should look great on this too.

I just received my very cool HP Pavilion DV7-1240US, but I can't see the letters & numbers on the keyboard. The whole laptop is bronze, including the keyboard, and the keyboard letters & numbers appear to be gray. I tried moving my reading lamp as close as possible to the laptop & I still can't make out the letters & numbers properly. I have to keep moving my head around from different angles just to see. I can't believe HP would release a product with this obvious problem...

If only the letters & numbers were white against the bronze this notebook would have gotten 5 stars!

Anyone out there with this issue, and if so is there any solution besides returning it?

Everything else seems to be very good.

EDIT!!! February 28th, 2009

I returned this & purchased the DV7-1150US, very similar features in silver-gray. The keyboard is legible, black letters & numbers on silver-gray. Very nice.

Buy HP Pavilion DV7-1240US 17.0-Inch Laptop Now

I got this at Best Buy for $700 and this is an excellent machine for its price. You are getting an HD monitor, built in webcam and microphone, silent keyboard which is perfectly sized for an adult, a beautiful interface, a lovely touchpad to turn up your volume, mute, play, fast forward and rewind... a 64 bit system with 4 GB of RAM capable of holding 8 GB of RAM... amazing. the mouse touchpad has a scroll function on its side. this computer has state of the art audio, (the speakers of this brand are very costly), a dedicated video graphics card, and a very powerful processor. coupled with its sleek design you cannot go wrong. its versatile, and it is very easy to set up networking. I have it set up in my home network. bought it 2 days ago and its fully functional. all laptops are more delicate than desktops and not a replacement. i got a service plan through BB in the case of hardware damage such as the monitor. this is always wise. anyway, take care of it and you have a great machine with great graphics capability and i already have an HP desktop and i'd say its comparable if not better.

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion DV7-1240US 17.0-Inch Laptop Here

I have several HP laptops with 17" screens (dv9910us as well as this dv7-1270us). The screen size is great, but I could see that trying to carry these in a backpack for school use could be a load. The displays are fantastic and the NVidia graphics card is super. The speed for boot-up, network connectivity and multi-tasking of applications is also fabulous.

This has fantastic sound for music with the Altec Lansing dual speakers on top and subwoofer on the bottom. Of course it can be hooked to a media center via the built-in HDMI or USB ports for impressive sound and Blue-ray DVD play.

Battery life is about 3 4 hours with the power management default settings out of the box.

All round this is a great package, with the few cons noted below.

Cons:

1. Bluetooth headsets / headphones don't work for listening to music. I've written to HP and visited forums, and it seems that there is some issue with MS Vista that Microsoft hasn't fixed. This is a bit disappointing, however, if you are planning to run with XP (which I'm not sure will work with this 64 bit microprocessor) it may be ok. I, as are many, awaiting a fix for this issue. Many have reported issues with Bluetooth Stack Service not working. I found that there is a Microsoft patch (something to do with ActiveX killbits), that causes this problem. After the Bluetooth stopped working correctly, and rebuilding my system I found that by not installing this "fix" the Bluetooth works for everything (phone, mp3 player, etc.), but not with the headphones for listening to music. Headphones do work for skype and with the phone.

2. The built-in Intel 5100 AGN WiFi Network adapter always indicates that its running at 54.0Mbps, even though I have a Netgear 854T Wireless-N router that can run at 300.0Mbps. If I connect a Netgear WPN121T USB adapter the HP Networking status indicates 300.0Mbps for that adapter. However, both adapters seem equally as fast for loading of webpages and downloads, so I'm not sure if the build-in Intel 5100 adapter is really running at 300.0Mbps even though it indicates on 54.0Mbps. I've been working with HP on this issue and they have not been able to fix yet.

3. The touch pad (as on all of these HPs) can act bizarrely, in that the mouse will jump to some other place when you touch the pad. It doesn't happen all of the time, but can be rather annoying. I'm not sure if it has to do with the way the notebook is leveled, but I do notice that if the keyboard is not on a stable table top or work space, the mouse jumping seems to happen more frequently. The synaptic touch pad driver sw provides some settings which seem to help.

4. Finally, the built-in cooling fan is noticably louder in the dv7-1270us than in the dv9910us models I have. Fortunately, in the BIOS it can be set to turn-on/off as needed, and not run continuously, so it's not too bad, but it pitch is at a frequency that causes my ears to ring if it runs very long.

Want HP Pavilion DV7-1240US 17.0-Inch Laptop Discount?

I will start this review by saying that my old laptop was beyond slow and well past its prime, so just about anything would have been a huge improvement. I did a fair amount of research and this laptop was by far the most feature-packed for the price. The same specs with a different brand name would have cost me $700-$900 more, easily.

The laptop is loaded with entertainment features like webcam, bluray, HDMI port, 4 USB ports, TWO headphone jacks and lightscribe! I will admit, the lightscribe was a huge plus. If you don't know, it's a way to laser etch artwork/words onto burned CDs/DVDs instead of using sticker labels or writing on them with permanent markers. I have no complaints with any of this stuff because these are all features I've not had until now and I'm just excited to have them at all. The laptop is blazingly fast compared to my old one (but that's not saying much). It has a neat touch bar above the keyboard that lets you quickly: mute/unmute, control volume, play, pause, forward, rewind, stop, and even turn off the wifi. It's a huge laptop, you may have a hard time finding a bag it will fit in (seriously), but it's not an issue for me. I love having such a large screen and I don't move the laptop around much (I would not have purchased a laptop this large for heavy travel). I also love that it has a full sized keyboard (YAY!) and a separate number keypad off to the right for super speedy number crunching! It has a cute little remote control so you can hook the laptop up to your TV and use it as a sometimes bluray/DVD player, it even stores in the side of the laptop when not in use. I also like that this machine doesn't seem to get hot at all...my old laptop you could fry eggs on that thing for how hot it ran!

The not so great stuff:

It comes with Vista and I don't like it, but it's not the laptop's fault, they all come with Vista now, don't they.

It has a lot of bloatware (a lot of preinstalled software that you probably don't need and just having it there takes up space and hogs memory/resources) and no easy way to remove it without doing a wipe/reinstall

...and it does not come with Vista CDs to do that which complicates things a bit.

I read a lot of reviews talking about the keys being almost unreadable, for everything else that came with this machine for this price...I was willing to paint them on myself if it was really that bad! I'm not sure if HP fixed the problem or if I'm not using the laptop in the same conditions as those with the complaints, but I can see/read them fine (I use the laptop indoors with ambient/indirect sun lighting for the most part). The keys and laptop are a metallic bronze color, so it has a bit of a mirror like finish that I could certainly do without...but it is not nearly as obnoxious/annoying/blinding as the laptops with that chrome/silver mirror finish. That's all with the aesthetics; not the important stuff (not to me anyway).

For the price and being chock full of features, I can't justify taking off a star for any of the very minor flaws. I've had this for almost a month now and I love it. I will update this review once I've had it longer should anything change or need mentioning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment