HP HP Pavilion g6-1b50us 15.6-inch Notebook PC - Black

HP HP Pavilion g6-1b50us 15.6-inch Notebook PC - BlackFirst of all, if you're a "hunt and peck" typer, this review is not for you. The hardware and everything for this computer is worth more than the price, and for that I would give it 5 stars. I did a lot of shopping and couldn't find anything that compared to this model in this price range. Other than the keyboard I really do love this laptop.

The keyboard, however, is practically useless. I bought this computer to display images while I'm on-location for photo shoots and for when I travel, and when I bought it, I was at home and didn't have any need to do much typing on it. But the first time I tried to log into my Facebook, email, bank acct, etc I kept getting "wrong password" errors over and over. It left me scratching my head. I wanted to blame the computer, but I couldn't think of any logical reason my computer would be denying me access LOL. Eventually, I did the very deliberate "hunt and peck" method to reassure myself that I WAS indeed typing my passwords correctly, and that worked. It wasn't until I actually had to TYPE out an email to someone using the laptop that I noticed immediately what the problem was... the keyboard will not type double characters (like cookie becomes cokie, jello becomes jelo, etc). After that realization I figured out my password problem was the fact that most of my passwords have double letters or digits in them, and because when you type in passwords you only get little dots or stars, I didn't see what was happening. I took the laptop back to the store (I didn't buy it from Amazon) and they switched it with a new one, insisting that it must be broken. They wouldn't let me exchange it for a different model because I didn't keep the box. But the new one did the same thing. Ultimately, I tried 3 of this exact model, and the problem existed in all 3 computers.

I called HP and they said they'd never had any complaints about this computer not typing (which can't be true because I noticed the other reviews on here mention how sticky the keyboard is) and that they could do nothing to help me. They had the nerve to suggest I buy a regular USB keyboard for it, and I was like, "that defeats the point of having a NEW LAPTOP!" I spent a great deal of time online researching this issue, and no matter how many keyboard settings I changed, the problem still persists. It's like the sticky key function is stuck in the ON position, even though it's off.

I learned two important lessons that I would like to pass on: spend plenty of time playing around on a computer in the store before you buy it. Spend time actually typing on it and see how it feels and responds to your typing style. The mouse, too. Also, NEVER, EVER, NEVER throw the box away to anything until after the warranty has expired (or at the very least, the store exchange policy period has expired).

I bought this with a rebate 3 weeks ago and unfortunatley came away very underwhelmed. The mousepad is not very touch friendly. and the keys are sticky.

The most frustrating thing was that one day after only having the laptop for 3 weeks, the screen faded to black and couldnt be fixed. I called HP customer support and they said they're aware of this hardware issue (really?!) and I owuld have to send the laptop for repair. They couldnt assure me this issue wouldnt crop back up. Avoid this laptop at all costs. HP won' be able to help you at all if it breaks.

Buy HP HP Pavilion g6-1b50us 15.6-inch Notebook PC - Black Now

OK. I'm going to give the Windows Experience specs first:

Processor: 6.2

Memory: 5.9

Graphics (Windows Aero): 3.8

Gaming graphics: 5.2

Primary hardisk: 5.8

Not too shabby. Right now, the only thing I've done on this machine is surf, but compared to my OLDER 32-bit, 1 GIG RAM laptop, it smokes. However, I'm really frustrated on the stupid mouse and a little frustrated with the keyboard. I USED to do a lot of scrolling with one finger on the right side of the mouse pad. NOW I can't even use the "old" click-and-drag feature of the mouse and scroll bar very well. You think you're dragging the scroll bar and it either starts and scrolls nicely, doesn't scroll at all, or scrolls then stops. Using the mouse pad gestures, it's even more inconsistent. I've tried playing with the settings and there may be a slight bit of improvement, but none that really makes a consistent difference. I've tried turning off the gestures, but then I can't scroll AT ALL.

The keyboard: I'll be typing along and I'll notice that SOMETIMES the letters don't show up. I find that I have to hit the backspace key because I'll think, "I know I hit that key, why the heck didn't it show up?" (backspace, backspace, backspace, grrrr) Basically I have to press the keys a bit harder every now and then. Definitely something a bit cludgy about the keyboard. Some people have really complained about the keyboard; I find that there is something amiss, but not as much as others have reported.

Read Best Reviews of HP HP Pavilion g6-1b50us 15.6-inch Notebook PC - Black Here

Search 'HP g6 overheat' and you'll know what I mean. Mine was bought 12/2011 and is now worthless. Started overheating 6 mo. ago. Smells like an iron. Screen goes black when hot (every 10 minutes.) I'm shopping for new one now. I trusted hp brand so did not buy warranty thinking, foolishly, it would last more than a year and a half. No more HP for me. Any laptop with vents on the bottom is a design problem. Gotta go, damn thing is going to burn down the house.

Want HP HP Pavilion g6-1b50us 15.6-inch Notebook PC - Black Discount?

except for the not so long battery life on here. only about 3 or 4 hours depending on what you are doing so not so good for school like i was hoping to use it for. other than that in great condition with speedy delivery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment