HP Pavilion DV5-1003NR 15.4" Laptop (2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard D

HP Pavilion DV5-1003NR 15.4' LaptopPRODUCT STATUS: Although HP still makes some Pavilion DV-5-series notebooks, the DV5-1003nr is discontinued in late 2008/early 2009. (If you are interested in this notebook, you should find excellent pricing on this particular model, because it is no longer being manufactured, but is a recent product and updates for drivers, firmware, and software are still available from Hewlett-Packard's Web site.

In August 2008, I received a new HP Pavilion DV5-1003NR notebook as an unexpected gift. I had been looking for a factory-refurbished IBM ThinkPad, two to four years old, with not operating system installed, because I planned to run Linux on the notebook. ThinkPads have become a favorite of Linux users because of their compatibility, durability, and reliability -and I personal find that widescreen displays (which seem to be the norm for standalone and notebook/laptop displays) adversely hinder my productivity, because the work that I do makes vertical screen space more valuable than extra width.

My DV5-1003nr notebook (officially an "HP Pavilion DV5 Entertainment Notebook PC") came with 4-GB of RAM, 1-GB more than the default, although the unit preshipped with a 32-bit, OEM version of Vista Home Premium SP1 (which cannot take advantage of 4-GB of RAM); a retail, boxed 32-bit Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade (which was over $200 at the time, but was purchased because the Best Buy salesperson told "my benefactor" that Vista Ultimate make full use of the 4-GB of RAM (which, of course, is not true of the 32-bit version -but was the reason for the purchased of a 2-GB SoDIMM to replace the 1-GB soDIMM occupying one of the two memory slots) and stated that HP "should have no problem with the upgrade" and that, if the notebook was purchased with Best Buy's 2-year extended protection plan (which it was) that the upgrade from HP's OEM version of Vista Home Premium (without installation or recovery discs) to a Vista Ultimate was compatible with the extended service plan.

NOTE: My particular unit was assembled in Chine in May 2008 with a defective AMD processor. The notebook could not load Windows Vista the first time that I turned it on (which should have been a red flag to return the unit immediately for an exchange or, ideally, a refund). Because the computer was new, I had to keep refusing the Startup Repair option to select a recent restore point (and I was not offered the recovery option, presumably because Vista had not yet loaded and had not yet added the recovery partition as a boot option): After an hour, Vista loaded, but a growing barrage of errors and lockups started. I created two recovery DVDs on Maxell's best DVR-R data discs as soon I as was prompted to do so during the setup process. (This process took several hours.) I tried using the recovery partition and the recovery DVDs that I used to restore the computer to factory condition, but was trapped in an endless cycle -and HP support totally ignored my support requests for three months. Because I have built all of my computers myself (except for the Macs), I kept trying to resolve the cascading problems myself, out of habit, but realized that I should used Best Buy's 2-year extended protection plan.

A technician from the Geek Squad at the store where the notebook was purchased called me two days after I dropped off the computer, stating that the HP had built the notebook with a defective CPU, and that he'd seen symptoms of "motherboard issues" before the diagnostic software and computer crashed. I approved shipping the computer to a service center for repair, and the technician told me that he expected the motherboard with the CPU would be replaced. When the notebook arrived back at the store in three weeks, I was upset to learn that the hardware was not mentioned in the report (except in the condition comments, which stated that the unit showed no signs of wear or abuse) and that no repairs were performed: Vista was reinstalled because of "one missing and one corrupt system file, but all is well now." The extended coverage has a "no lemons" clause, but Best Buy will replace a computer only after "four valid repairs," and installations are not considered repairs. I have not yet found a way to escape this trap.

I contacted HP CEO Mark Hurd about my lack of support and was assigned a case manager who was was less than helpful and subjected me to verbal abuse and insults every time that I called him (and he never called me). My notebook came with a single-fan cooling mat, which I recommend for all notebook and laptop computer users, and I had always used it. My first unit had a tilt feature and I put the notebook in my lap for two seconds to adjust the tilt. During that time I jumped in as a reflex to an intense burning sensation, although I managed to catch the notebook before it hit the floor. The redness and pain (through thick denim jeans) last for three days. During a conversation with my HP case manager, I had mentioned my concerns about the heat and that the CPU typically runs at 70-72 degrees Celsius (roughly 160 degrees Fahrenheit or more) and he laughed and said, "they do run hot, don't they!?" -and he evaded my query of how he could help me resolve the problem. I then described my injury and my HP case manager told me that the burn was MY responsibility, because "HP actually makes a distinction between a laptop and a notebook computer; you put a notebook in your lap, and a notebook is NOT a laptop." My case manager became irate when I stated that his job was to resolve my problems, per Mark Hurd's wishes, not entangle me in semantics -and he started to rant and was unintelligible, so I quietly hung up the phone.

I have contacted Geek Squad's CI, Robert Stephens, whom I hope can intervene, but -after two more messages to Mark Hurd's office -I missed a phone call from someone in the HP executive department, but -based upon HP's ever-dropping service ratings (and the fact that I returned a new scanner that died after three months and received a filthy refurbished unit with felt pen marks scrawled around the control buttons) -I am hoping that Robert Stephens can end this message, but I also have 30 days before my HP warranty expires (which I have honored, not installing the Vista Ultimate upgrade because I was told it would instantly void my warranty), and if Robert Stephens does not contact me soon, I must contact HP, although I have been deceived, ignored, and fully expect HP to allow the warranty to expire.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW: Hewlett-Packard's series of wide-screen, shiny metallic and black, entertainment series of notebook computers is not intended for business use (for which its design is not intended or suited). I would describe the HP Pavillion DV5 series as "a portable DVD player for people who do casual computing for short periods of time."

The plastic (silver or bronze, depending on one's model) keys are so reflective that I struggle to see the characters. If I start typing "gibberish" and need to reposition my hands in the correct touch-typing position, the process strains my eyes and wastes time. The Synaptics TouchPad (which is actually metal) is difficult to customize and the two buttons require undue pressure and are very loud. (I recall thinking that I broke the switches several times.) The screen may be popular with people who view DVDs on the computer, but the reflective, glass-like surface generates glare that literally gives me doubleand triple-vision and causes my eyes to burn. Focusing has become a problem even when I am not using the notebook's display, and I actually visited my ophthalmologist four months after getting this notebook, convinced that I needed a new eyeglass prescription. (I also use an external keyboard and mouse, although I cannot afford an external monitor.)

If you decide to purchase a Pavilion DV5-1003NR, make certain that you purchase a new unit with a full warranty. Based upon my Web searches, and the growing number of Web sites such as HPLies.com, I suggest that you purchase a third-party, extended service plan from a trusted provider at the same time that you purchase any HP computer -although my experience with HP, sadly, is not unique, and I suggest that you do not purchase any HP desktop, laptop, or notebook computers -or any product that might require support.

Consumer Reports and other independent organizations have published comparisons of OEM computer manufacturers, based upon quality of product and quality of service and support. I "shot myself in the proverbial foot," because I was so used to building and troubleshooting my own computers. I suspect that bare-bones laptop and notebook computers and/or kits will be available in the future, but most computer users prefer to purchase a computer that works and for which they can get friendly and prompt, responsive service.

Finally, even if my particular unit were not built with a defective CPU, overheating is a problem that is plaguing HP notebooks -Intel and AMD -beyond the models that have had recalled batteries, which were the causes of the overheating. Heat and dust will always be enemies of computers, but small, powerful computers -and many people use laptop computers as their only computer -lack the space for air to flow or additional fans that help cold desktop computers. (Of course, additional fans are not a viable cooling option for notebook computers, because of their adverse effect on battery life.)

I am sure that my serious hardware defect is an exception, although it is my first (and last) experience with AMD processors, but Hewlett-Packard has a verifiable record of poor quality, poor or nonexistent support, and the deception and abusive treatment of customers that I have experienced.

'Caveat emptor'!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -Like many reviewers, I would like to give this product and HP a rating of zero stars, but one star is the minimum rating that I can give! :-)

I purchased this computer in September, 2008. Though it is vista, I have not had any problems. The 3 gigabytes of ram are plenty for vista. I have enjoyed the perks that slow down vista because this computer has enough ram that it doesn't slow it down. I still find it faster than my 1 gigabyte ram XP netbook. I do not play video games with this computer (only simple games like the ones from addictinggames.com), so I don't know how good it is for that (it is not meant to be a gaming computer), but it is good for watching TV and movies online. The best part is if you upgrade windows to a 64 bit, you can add 5 more gigabytes of ram! As I mentioned in my title, my computer has been running great for over 3 years.

Buy HP Pavilion DV5-1003NR 15.4" Laptop (2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard D Now

First off, Im not from the US, so dont blame me if there are any language mistakes ;)

I have been owning this laptop for about two and a half years now and it has been quite reliable over the past years!

The specs back then were pretty decent 3 gigabyte of ram and a blu ray disc drive, a 2ghz processor, plus the small price made me buy this laptop.

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros

+ It's handy

+ It has a good screen and the build quality is good

+ The keyboard has good pressure point

+ It has a blu ray drive

+ Its just fast enough for my needs

+ It almost never crashes

Cons

It gets quite hot

the graphic card is just good enough for writing emails and surfing on the internet. Games dont work fluently

The buttons in front of the display act weird from time to time when the laptop gets too hot which is pretty annoying.

I cant share the experience that it s a horribly bad laptop. Maybe I got lucky with mine, but It has for sure been a good buy for me.

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion DV5-1003NR 15.4" Laptop (2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard D Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment