HP Pavilion Chromebook 14-c010us 14-Inch Laptop (Black)

HP Pavilion Chromebook 14-c010us 14-Inch Laptopfirst, to give some background I am basing my rating on the computer itself not Chrome OS. I think that I would give the operating system three stars. It is still lacking some significant things. For example, there is no screensaver, and there is no way to sync your ipod/phone. But, it is great for doing all the web-based things you want to do without the clutter and weight of other operating systems.

As for the computer itself...

In relation to a Unibody mac, there is no comparison. The HP Chromebook feels cheaper. The keyboard isn't as comfortable, nor is it backlit. The trackpad can be a little jittery, and the buttons just don't have the same solid feel. But, and here is a huge but, at $330, there just isn't any way it could compare to a $1500 computer. Looking at it for what it is, it feels pretty OK. The screen is bright and clear, and the 14" size is just a whole lot better than 11". For what it is, everything seems to be made pretty well. It feels solid for plastic (no squishy feeling where you rest your hands while typing). And, even though it is heavy for a Chromebook, it is still really light. Most importantly it is fast. Really fast. It boots almost instantly. I think it takes longer for me to type my password than it does for the operating system to go from off to ready to go.

As I try more things, I will update this review. As a first impression, I would call myself impressed.

*edit 1:

So, my first computer was a lemon. As it turned out, it would not charge when the power was off. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem, so I don't think it is a general issue...and I can see why QC would not have caught it. The only reason I am adding anything here is because I had a terrible experience with HP's technical support. The main problem is that they are just not set up to handle Chrome OS. Eventually I got to a point where I realized they were trying to use windows troubleshooting steps on my chrome machine (figured that out when they kept asking me to go to "control panel" or use "run")...so I took it back to the store where I bought it and exchanged the defective computer for a new one, which works great.

But, moving on from that, I have to say that the trauma of this whole situation was not really that traumatic at all. If it had been a windows machine or even a mac, I would be cursing the day's worth of work that was left for me to get back up and running. Instead, I powerwashed my computer (chrome's way of saying erased all the user data) before returning it, and when I got the new one, I put in my email info and it was back right where I left off. No reinstalling this and that or recovering via time-machine. It only took me about twenty seconds longer than a standard startup. Needless to say, that made me very happy.

On another note, I have done the optional ram upgrade that caused me to choose this machine over the samsung, and here is a warning. Even if you are a computer DIYer, don't try this one. I consider myself pretty handy, having built a few desktop computers and even a laptop, but I was not able to do the ram upgrade. You need the proper tools to get the HP case apart and the ram is located all the way at the bottom so you literally have to take the whole computer apart to get to the extra ram slot. Leave it to the pros. or let the 2 gigs suffice, it probably wasn't really necessary to do the upgrade anyway. I really wish they would offer a 4 gig pre-installed option...

*edit 2

So this edit is more about chrome OS than it is about the computer itself, which has been working flawlessly. I have run into a few more issues that have yet to be resolved for chrome OS. Apparently Java is not supported. This hasn't been the biggest issue, but it is frustrating to not be able to use some websites...and if you think 'I am not a super user, I wouldn't have that problem'...that isn't really the case. Some pretty basic websites like the webcam feed for our puppy's daycare uses Java...I wouldn't call this a deal breaker, but it is something to be aware of...

I received my HP Chromebook today. I have been disgusted with Windows 7 operating system now for sometime. When my desktop was new it took about a minute to boot up, after constant Windows updates it now takes 8 to 10 minutes to boot up (plus the web locks up if it decides to update while I am in the middle of something even after turning off updates). I read reviews of Google Chrome OS and decided to try a Chromebook computer. I looked at Samsung and Acer laptops and with old eyes I wanted a larger screen so I chose the HP with a 14 inch screen. Set up could not have been simpler. I went thru the installation and set up in about a minute. I was using Google Chrome on my desktop so all the bookmarks and all else was transferred to the HP Chromebook without a hitch. It boots up in seconds and I am online in a matter of seconds. It also has Google Docs and Google Sheets (word processing and spreadsheet basic) that is very user much like Windows Office. If the performance continues,(I expect it will) I could not be more pleased. Windows needs to figure out a better OS or Google OS will take over completely as far as computer systems go. I am 100% pleased with this system as I did not want a tablet. If in the near future some one comes out with a desktop Chromebook I will buy one. For web surfing and emails, basic word processing and spreadsheet this can not be beat. I would recommend a Chromebook to anyone who wants the above mentioned usage in a computer system.

Buy HP Pavilion Chromebook 14-c010us 14-Inch Laptop (Black) Now

I received this HP product Friday and have only used it for a few hours. This is my first laptop so I can't compare it to other similar products. First impression: solid construction, nice screen, good keyboard, good sounding speakers (at least to my ears). The speakers are upward-facing as opposed to speakers on the bottom on many similar products. Surfing without a mouse is a new experience for me, but the more I use this product, the easier it gets. A negative for many is two hours less battery reserve than the Samsung, but I wanted the larger screen and decided I could live with this shortcoming.

Gamers who need JAVA and others who need JAVA for certain programs should not buy this product. I don't miss it as I removed it from my desktop recently due to security concerns. The main negative for me is that I don't like using web mail; I much prefer Thunderbird.

This product excels at surfing the Web and watching videos including HD videos and if you have been using the Chrome browser on another computer, all of your settings are carried over for a smooth transition.

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion Chromebook 14-c010us 14-Inch Laptop (Black) Here

HP CHROMEBOOK DIES UPON INITIAL UPDATE! Ordered "new" HP Pavilion Chromebook as gift for wife. Even paid extra charge for "Overnight Delivery"!

Received Unit (packaging showed no damage), unit itself looked OK and seemed to be in good working order upon unpacking. Installed battery and unit auto started upon opening lid. Wife proceeded to sign in to Google Account as directed, then setup Chrome Browser and watched a couple of YouTubes (total time approximately one hour). Primarily to just checkout the unit, which seemed to be a nice laptop, up to that point! Powered unit off as directed (to run initial update) and restarted. Upon which it ran the first initial update and then proceeded to die!!!

Turned unit off (holding down button for over twenty seconds, to clear any settings). Then removed and replaced battery also disconnected/reconnected power cord each several times and tried to restart. All attempts failed, unit is DEAD/NO POWER!!!

Intended as a gift, but won't bring much happiness or productivity this weekend! Hope Amazon, doesn't attempt to send refurbished replacement, as that will be unacceptable!!!

PS. Did a search in Google Groups-Chromebook and seems this has happened repeatedly to other new HP Chromebook purchasers! CHROMEBOOK, great concept, now if it just worked it'd be an Awesome little laptop!!! (Will update review later, based on final outcome)

Want HP Pavilion Chromebook 14-c010us 14-Inch Laptop (Black) Discount?

The Chromebook is not a laptop computer, and comparing them will be unfair to Chromebook. It will not download programs or software. Therefore, it is NOT for hardcore gamers, even for the moderate ones. This is not for heavy office use or for wild creative activities like Photoshop and the like. It cannot even let you print because you wouldn't be able to download the driver software to run your printer. The Chromebook does one thing very well open up the internet at high speed for your enjoyment without having to download software, updates, and the like.

If you want something like a tablet, but with a keyboard, full size, instant on, and blazing speed on the Net, then Chromebook is your machine. If your objective is to surf the net, send and receive e-mails, and watch streaming movies, then this is your toy to enjoy! (HP's video quality is significantly better than what is offered by Samsung or Acer.) If you do your homework ahead of purchase, you likely will not regret your investment. Enjoy!

Save 2% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment