Acer Aspire 5742-6838 15.6' Notebook - Intel Core i5-460M

Acer Aspire 5742-6838 15.6' Notebook - Intel Core i5-460MI got this notebook because I totally torn the last netbook (also an Acer). I bought this mainly because I'm on budget. I need a computer that functions and does everyday task. This computer comes with i5 processor and its fast enough for everything I have to do. The screen size is 15.6,which is good and actually feels lighter than my brother's Toshiba Satellite 14''. There are things I would want Acer to improve, one of them is the speakers. Those speakers are totally horrible, worse than my Acer Aspire One netbook, i think one side is not even working. Of course, the built-in microphone is just as bad as those speakers. Of course, if i have to record anything, I'll use external earphone and microphone. Another thing is the power input, it is located right next to the fan, which is not the ideal place to plug. Acer Aspire One netbook also have the power plug/input at the same spot, which I relate to why I have to replace power adapter so often because power adapter's cord bends easily and plus the heat produce from the fan will eventually cause damage to the adapter's cord. I hope to find no more problems, after all, It's still my first day on it. Overall, I still give it a five for everything because it is a decent computer.

This is my current ticket to Acer Support:

My Acer Aspire3 5742-6838 has a fan (next to the power cord) that runs every 30 seconds or so. I bought this laptop to do hard drive recording, but when the fan comes on it temporarily accesses the registry and uses such a large percentage of the CPU that it constantly interrupts other programs and makes it nearly useless, except for maybe word processing and mail and even hesitates on that. This model has an Intel i5 CPU and 4 gb of RAM. I've scoured the net for a real solution, upgraded the Acer Epower Management, etc. I even tried taking the laptop back to factory defaults to no avail. Next, I stopped unnecessary Windows 7 services, hid Microsoft startups, unchecked the other startups in MSConfig, changed Visual Affects to Adjust for Best Performance, eliminated unnecessary programs, ran Auslogics Defragmenter, CCleaner, removed the Search Index, turned unnecessary Window features off (such as Remote Differential Compression). I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic, Scandisk, System File Scan, but no matter what I do this laptop has been an absolute nightmare. I have been doing desktop support for a living for over a decade and I constantly fix friends computers (12 or 13 since May). I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this piece of crap. (I just wanted something to tide me over until I could purchase a high-end Mac.) Anyway, unless you can come up with a genuine solution to this problem, I'll just have to sell it on eBay and badmouth Acer to the hilt on Amazon.

Mark Powell / MCP, MCSE, A+ PC Tech

Buy Acer Aspire 5742-6838 15.6' Notebook - Intel Core i5-460M Now

I love acer computersI had just bought a timelinex that died on me after 3 days, so I purchased this one.

For an i5, this computer is unfortunately a bit sluggishenough so that I went to upgrade the ram right away(it's only 4 out of box). I got the ram and found that (from checking out a few videos) that it is NOT an easy task to install more ram into the computer. The sluggishness was distinct enough for me to return the computer and get something a bit nicer for only a little bit more money.

That being saidI do run a lot of heavy duty programsVB Ultimate, MS Office Suite, Adobe Suite and various developer tools. The average user (games, netflix, and MS Office home) shouldn't have much to complain about with this computer: it's very lightweight for its size, the screen is perfect for basic to intermediate gaming and movie watching, and of coursethe price.

The only big issue most would find with the computer is the speakerit is outright rotten. I'm not the type to listen to music on a computer without headpohnes or external speakers, but almost all audio sounds pretty bad.

Read Best Reviews of Acer Aspire 5742-6838 15.6' Notebook - Intel Core i5-460M Here

I have purchased my 5th Acer Aspire. All of my kids have one and I bought one for my self and wife. They take a lot of abuse and work very well. My kids are in college and use them every day. Get used to it before you rate them.

Want Acer Aspire 5742-6838 15.6' Notebook - Intel Core i5-460M Discount?

I had this computer for almost 3 years now. I dont have this model i got the cheaper one that was pentium core and just 320gb of memory with 4gb of ram. On the second day of use it gave me blue screen and i got scare but thankfully was not done it again. The problems I facing know is the constant overheating by even the simple of tasks for example im right now i just have typing in my browser and i can feel heat emitted by the computer on my hands and sometimes it gets so hot that using the touch pad and using the keys in the left corner can be painful while having multiple application open. I tried solving this problem by opening it cleaning the fan but that did nothing and also when it starts getting hot it will start lagging and programs will start crashing what can be really annoying. The speakers sucks so you will need headphones. I can complain since it only cost me $349 at Sam's Club and I quest you what you pay for. Right now I am on the process of looking for a new laptop computer for College since this one is not that portable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment