HP Compaq TC4400 12.1" Tablet PC

HP Compaq TC4400 12.1' Tablet PCI first started to look at various machines and laptops on an online auction site (I won't use a name, but, I'm sure you can guess which one it is) during the time that I was set to go on my most recent vacation to the South. I had already purchased a new laptop around two years ago (a Sony VAIO, to be exact) and wasn't thinking of really replacing it or getting another laptop to supplement it. That is: until I ran across this laptop listed online on an auction for a really cheap "But It Now" price of just under one hundred dollars. I took a look at the specifications, thought it over for a little bit, and after around one hour of sitting on it I decided to go ahead and purchase it. My thoughts for this machine at the time were to use it as a "spare laptop" which I could use for travel, as it is far more portable than my VAIO, and as a machine which I do quick sketches and note-jotting on seeing as it had the screen that folded into "slate mode." And, so, a week had passed by after I had purchased the machine and it was already at my doorstep: direct from California (the shipping was much faster than I expected). Upon unboxing it, my first impressions about this machine quickly changed. Here's why:

The build quality is excellent. I dare say that it is right up there with the ThinkPad's of its time (and today's standards), if not better than some of them.

It runs cool and quiet.

There are plenty of ports and expandability options, especially for a 12.5" laptop.

There's an ambient light sensor on this machine, which is absolutely awesome.

Mind you, I have been using ThinkPad's since I was in High School (I am now in College) and have had nothing but good luck with them. Their build quality is rock-solid, the machines are reasonably priced (depending on what model-line you choose), and they will essentially last forever if you don't go out of your way to try and kill them. After using the TC4400 for a few days, I can safely say that I can carry the same confidence in this laptop as I did in my others. However, there are some giant downsides to this machine as well as with anything technological. These include:

1) Slow out-of-the-box performance. After all, it was designed and manufactured around the year 2006 where "performance" in those days would be mocked today. My configuration came with 1GB of RAM; a 60GB Hard Drive; Windows Vista Business (32-Bit); and a dual-core Intel Centrino Duo processor (though, it is actually pretty good).

2) The power slider, the wireless button, and the "Info" button are ALL located on the left-hand side of the laptop. There are times when I go to use this machine in slate mode and I have either kicked myself off of my wireless network; opened up an array of quick-launch menus; or have just sent the machine into hibernation. Frustrating.

3) Lastly; I also have this really strange problem where, every time I connect or disconnect the charger that came with this machine, Windows gives me this message that says: "Safe To Disconnect Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet." I have no idea why connecting/disconnecting my laptop's charger would do that.

Though, aside from these small downsides, the TC4400 is a really capable machine. Especially if you take the time to upgrade it, which I decided to do some time ago. I bumped the machine from the old specifications up to 4GB of RAM; 120GB Solid State Drive; and Windows 7 Professional (32-Bit (this processor doesn't support 64-Bit)). It now flies thorough tasks and startup and shutdown (it literally takes only three seconds to shutdown) sequences!

Overall, if you're looking for a machine that can be plenty capable especially if you are willing to spend a few extra dollars and hours to upgrade it from its factory settings and specifications you'll want to take a serious look at the TC4400. I did, and I am very pleased with the results.

0 comments:

Post a Comment