ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black)

ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming LaptopAs others have mentioned this laptop has a few "issues" as follows:

1. First one arrived DOA. Ordered from Tigerdirect, which has a local outlet, where I brought it for exchange. They only had the floor model left--and discounted it an additional $150 for me! At approx. $750, such a deal!

2. However, with that in mind, buying extended warranty might be advisable.

3. I've tested this laptop on the following games: Modern Warfare 3, Batman Arkham City, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Portal 1 & 2, and Minecraft. All games tested ran flawlessly, although I did have to lower the resolution from "ultra" to "high" for MW3 and Skyrim.

3. This laptop is heavier than even my 18.4" laptop, and is also larger than most 15" laptops, will not fit into a 15" laptop case. The styling of this laptop was inspired by stealth jet fighters and looks pretty sharp, so I guess its just the price you pay for beauty.

4. As another reviewer mentioned, when compared to the 3GB Nvidia GTX 360M with 3GB RAM, the video card in this laptop has only 2GB RAM, and is slightly "crippled", meaning it runs at a 128 bit bus width, and not the full 192. It's still a high-end, Class 1 video card, contains all the most desired features, and runs all the most "graphic intensive" modern games wonderfully, but why?

Oh well, I actually bought this laptop as an Xmas present for my 8 year old nephew. He didn't really ask for or expect a gaming laptop, but the netbook I orginally bought couldn't even run Minecraft, much less any of his school applications, and he's not exactly allowed to "surf the net." The specs and performance of this laptop are truely impressive, even with a slightly "crippled" video card.

Aside from supporting DirectX 11, and OpenGL 4.0, even though the monitor renders in 2D, the Nvidia video card supports 3D, meaning that you can hook the laptop up to an external 3D monitor via HDMI, for 3D video gaming, and streaming 3D internet content, including 3D movie viewing!

At least at this time, Nvidia only provides support though for certain 3D monitors that employ ACTIVE 3D technology, and also requires a 120HZ monitor (ie., refresh rate of 120 fpm "frames per second), however, I understand that drivers are now being developed to support passive 3D technology as well. I have a passive 3D TV, and connected the laptop via HDMI to see whether it would support 3D gaming. It kind of worked, but not very well.

5. Although games run smooth as silk, we've experienced some buffering issues when playing youtube videos. To resolve, I went to the Asus ROG forum, and took the advice of others, flashed the bios, installed the latest drivers and ran CCleaner, to clear out temp. files. Seems to have resolved that issue, for the most part anyway.

As I notice other reviewers have had similar issues, I wouldn't doubt that might be the very reason Asus discounted this particular model so deeply. Laptops with comparable specs cost almost twice as much, and for the savings, the issues experienced are fairly minor. So far anyway.

Great performance, construction and pricetag! It's ASUS! I love it!

BUT...

I have 2 things to complain about:

I dont know why ASUS's choice was the 128bits gtx 560 and not the 192bits...

I saw in many forums zillions of problem about the magnet sensor that tell when the lid is closed or not, well, my asus came with this and i dont know how to permanently fix this problem, im in brazil and I cant sendo to RMA (global guarantee?? maybe not).

Buy ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) Now

Bought it, had it shipped, received it in perfect working order. It's a great laptop with a super-bright screen. Everything's as it should be, except for one thing: there is no way the published dimensions are right.

I bought a Targus Revolution XL specifically because it was designed for 15-16 inch laptops, and this beautiful monster of a laptop wouldn't fit. Had to get a more boring backpack instead. The only reason this review isn't 5 stars is because there's less choices for bags and protection.

EDIT:

The USB 3.0 driver on the machine was buggy -it wouldn't play nice with my Western Digital 1TB portable drive. Windows said the driver was up to date, but I was able to update it from an external site and that fixed the problem. (The drive would be detected, but transferring anything over 1MB would cause it to be "disconnected" and would prompt Windows to reformat the drive.)

Read Best Reviews of ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) Here

The last year Circuit City was selling this laptop on black Friday for $910 dollars with 2 years warranty + 1 year of accidental warranty included.

When I saw that I did not think it twice, I bought it right away! the next day out of stock!

If you are looking to buy a cheap gaming laptop with awesome features and quality, only Asus meets the requirements!

My fist laptop I owned was a Dell (before buying this Asus G53SX) and Dell customer service lied to me saying that the XPS editions can handle everything, any game, + they are REALLY USELESS when you are having any issue!!! Months later when Battle-field 3 came out......... I was lucky if I was able to enjoy the game for 30 minutes without lagging!

When I was buying the laptop online the specs said 15.6 inches.... when I opened the box, the screen was pretty big for being a 15.6 inches.....

I measured it and is 17 inches... No idea why!

Asus Republic of gamers G53SX does a AWESOME job running games!

I run Battle field 3, Call of Duty MW3 in low or medium performance without any issue or lagging at all (only when the server is bad).

Battery life is AWESOME!!!!!

After 3 hours of doing research, listening music, I have to run to get my battery charger.

Asus offers a battery saving software which is kinda cool because when you unplug your laptop, this software does everything to save energy!

Sound quality is pretty good, not awesome, but let's say 8 of 10!!

Do not spend $1600 dollars to buy an Alien-ware!

The Asus G53SX does the same job than any Alien-ware laptop for less money.

Want ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) Discount?

As this series of laptop ages, it is coming to light that the DC jack (where the power cord enters the computer) has a serious design flaw. The DC jack pin (the part of the jack that transfers power from the power cord to the computer) is much too thin and often breaks off within a year. This results in a computer that cannot be charged.

To make matters worse, apparently Asus has received so many repair requests for this part that it is on indefinite backorder. In other words, they no longer have the part to repair this problem.

Here is a thread on the Asus forums that catalogs hundreds of customers complaining about this exact problem:Do not buy this laptop! It will break, Asus will not repair it. I now have a useless $1500 hunk of plastic I am trying to extract data from.

0 comments:

Post a Comment