ASUS G750JW-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black)

ASUS G750JW-DB71 17.3-Inch LaptopI've had this laptop for about a week now and have generally been happy with it, though with a couple of caveats. First impression on unboxing: this thing is HUGE! It's both large and heavy, neither of which particularly bothers me (and of course, I saw the 9.9lb weight going in). Next, ergonomics: with the weird games that other manufacturers are playing with laptop keyboards right now, it's refreshing to see one that touches smoothly and ergonomically. It's still not as comfortable as my desktop keyboard, but I can at least see myself coding away for days at a time (as is my wont) without developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

The keyboard includes a separate set of arrow keys in the standard shape used on desktops, which makes me very happy, as I use these keys very often.

The external finish is kind of blocky, but when you open it up, it's gorgeous, with a very nice brushed aluminum look that unfortunately smudges very easily. As the other poster said, you're going to get fingerprints on it; it's inevitable. Heck, it even smudges on its own when it gets a little bit humid out. This laptop has a matte display, which I find does a much better job of reducing glare than my previous glossy laptop display, at the expense of gamut width (nevertheless, I was able to get a ~90% overlap with sRGB on mine, so it's not bad). There does seem to be a minor issue with the refresh rate of the display: it seems just a tad off of 60Hz, as refreshes are very slightly visible against solid colors (dark gray in particular). This seems to be accentuated when the backlight is dim and is much less noticeable when the laptop is plugged in and the backlight is at full brightness. This is something that I can live with; you might consider it more serious if you're particularly prone to eyestrain. Make sure to uninstall the bundled Splendid software if you have color issues, as it had a detrimental effect on color for me which was resolved by removing it.

Performance-wise, this thing is a beast, limited primarily by its 5400 RPM hard drive. Which brings me to one of the reasons why I purchased this particular laptop (incurring the weight and bulk): it has two 2.5" hard drive bays. I loaded an SSD (Crucial m500) into the 2nd bay and it found it without a problem. I haven't tried it yet, but copying the OS over to the SSD and using the old HD as a backup drive should result in a *substantial* performance improvement, as the hard drive was the primary bottleneck.

The graphics card isn't quite up to desktop levels either (but then, laptops seldom are), but it's quite capable of running most of today's games. It's also CUDA-enabled, so I can run Fast Fourier Transforms on it to my heart's content.

Power consumption is quite good considering the specs, an area where the Haswell processor clearly makes a difference. I can get about 4-5 hours of use from a full charge. I haven't noticed a substantial boost in raw computing power over Ivy Bridge just yet, but I haven't yet challenged the limits of this machine.

The DVD-ROM drive is nothing special, and I may simply replace it with the Blu-ray recorder from my previous laptop. This seems a larger trend right now the last 5 years have seen a regression in optical drives, as USB flash memory is becoming more and more popular. Speaking of that, this laptop has a built in SD card reader.

If you want to get on the cutting edge of Wifi, this also has an 802.11ac network adapter, so you're all ready.

Overall, I'm rather pleased with the laptop the slow drive speed and minor display refresh problems being the primary drawbacks. I would recommend it.

He guys, thought I'd write a review on my pc!

So I get this laptop about a week ago, and I'm loving it's performance!

It is very well built, very appealing to the eye. The lit keyboard is a really cool extra feature, and it even helps in the dark sometimes!

The GTX 765m in this thing is no 780m, but is still quite the beast, plays Minecraft (V-Sync turned off) between 100 to 300+ fps. With VSync on, it runs a constant, solid 60 frames a second.

One thing that bugs me (but the pros defintley overweigh the cons) is the pick up of fingerprints and just the oil from the skin. The armrest (where my hand/forearm is) is covered with skin oil on the aluminum finish (If anyone knows how to clean it please tell me!). But, it overall is an amazing pc! Once I can afford Skyrim Legendary Edition, I'll test it on this pc, but I'm sure it will to good! The PC is thick, but after all I heard about the previous model (G75vx) being so heavy, I expected it to be a monster, but it's quite easy if you carry it like a normal person! Overall performance (+amazing look) 10/5!

Buy ASUS G750JW-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) Now

This laptop is amazing. The build quality is so sturdy and nice. I'm a huge fan of apple products because of their build quality. This laptop, in my opinion, is equally as nice. I purchased this mostly for a business machine but it does not hurt that it can run games like a champ. Even with such high specs the machine runs quietly even when heavily tasked with business applications or games. The matte screen is wonderful. The screen is so nice to use and is so easy on my eyes. Eye strain is an issue for me with all the glossy screens out there these days. In my opinion this laptop display is one of the nicest I've ever used. I really can't think of anything that would make this machine better. If you don't mind having a HUGE laptop then get this. You'll need a nice laptop bag to carry/fit it. I recommend the Mobile Edge 17.3" Alienware ScanFast Checkpoint Friendly Backpack. I purchased both from Amazon and could not be more happy. Seriously in nerd heaven!

Read Best Reviews of ASUS G750JW-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) Here

I'm a designer and also a gamer. I bought this laptop last week and those are some feeling. This is the first time I write a review for laptop.

Pros

First of all, Asus is a strong branch in laptop industry and the most advantage of Asus laptop model is power in process graphic and stronger than the specification. The screen is too large up to 17.2 inches, the laptop can display full resolution 1920*1080 pixels. This is the advantage for designer or gamer because they must use the large screen for display right pixel.

Secondly, With CPU core i7 3.4Ghz and RAM 12 Gb DDR III Graphic 2.5Gb Geforce. This is actually powerful machine, with this system you can run any applications and games. My work use 3dMax, Photoshop for designer and Eclipse for build Android application and never seen any problem.

Cons

Beside, with those features this laptop is to heavy and quite big when you moving. And with the storage only 1Tb, you need to extra more with the external storage.

Any great products have many pros and cons, But I recommend this laptop, because I am using it and feel comfortable in work and relax. I also buy more things to make the best bundle:

Protect Plan (3 years):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I05W2Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002I05W2Q&linkCode=as2&tag=best-refer-20

Extra more 1Tb storage external drive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y5UV4A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006Y5UV4A&linkCode=as2&tag=best-refer-20

Want ASUS G750JW-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) Discount?

Hey Guys just bought one today. Hoping to get it by tomorrow but we will see if the order is placed in time. The last laptop I had was the G73jh and it was a faithful companion for about 4 years :P. I never had any major issues with it till the last year and now the cpu runs at like 90C when idle and spikes immediately when running anything. Once I get this bad boy I will return with full review!

Save 13% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment