HP ENVY 17-2090NR Notebook - Silver

HP ENVY 17-2090NR Notebook - SilverI have owned this unit since 6/2/11, even though I bought it somewhere else. This system is a true desktop replacement with the latest 2nd generation Sandy Bridge i7 quad-core cpu. 8GB RAM & dual 750GB hard drives (configured as one 1.5TB drive).

I'm not much of a gamer but do play occasionally. Driving games look especially good using the TriDef 3D software to launch the game. The system ships with one pair of active shutter 3D glasses. The 3D effects in games and movies is fun but I find it tiring to wear the 3D glasses for prolonged periods of time.

Applications perform blazingly fast. I use CorelDraw X3 a lot and performance on the Envy is perfect. I use Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD for video editing and Handbrake to convert video files to portable format for my DroidX. The Envy processes everything much faster than my old Thinkpad.

I did update the drivers and BIOS the day I got the system. I had read about issues regarding cpu throttling and knew the BIOS update would fix the issue.

I have no real complaints with this system. Sure it is heavy and the battery life is not that great (it comes with two batteries though) but then again, I didn't buy this to haul around with me everywhere I go. I have a netbook which fills that role.

If you are looking for a very fast system in a semi-portable form factor then it is hard to beat the HP Envy. You definitely get your money's worth.

Within the first few days of purchasing this product, I began to experience issues. These issues included random shutdowns, random freezing (completely unresponsive) and periodic slowdowns. As a customer with standard warranty, I spoke with HP technical service. After my personal experience, it would be a compliment to call their service incompetent. On the first call with HP, I discussed the issues I was having to a technician. She asked me to do various tasks as my computer could not be remotely accessed by HP. The call was concluded with her telling me to call back should the problem arise after I had taken specific actions. The problems still persisted and I called again. The phone was answered by a man who spoke broken English. I asked to be transferred to a different technician and my request was granted. After 5 minutes of being put on hold, I was transferred to another technician. Unfortunately, 10 minutes later the technician transferred me to another department because he informed me that his department was not responsible for HP Envy laptops. After another 5 minutes, the same process repeated until I was finally connected to the HP Envy department. Sadly, the technician decided to hang up on me. On the third call I spoke finally spoke to the right technician. After giving him my ticket number, describing my issues and telling him the previous actions that were taken, he concluded our conversation saying that I should call him when my computer froze...

If you plan on buying HP, beware. Should any issues arise, you will not find any real help at HP.

Buy HP ENVY 17-2090NR Notebook - Silver Now

I must admit that this is the worst laptop I have ever bought in my life and that too for such a huge price.

The bluray player does not read properly. I keep getting the error, "insert disc". The system shuts down so often due to heat.

This occurs especially if you are watching Youtube videos or any other flash content or playing movie. This is very true if you travel around the world where it is hot and humid.

With in a year or two, the laptop has completely crashed with a motherboard failure and now I have to spend money from my pocket again to fix this.

Read Best Reviews of HP ENVY 17-2090NR Notebook - Silver Here

3D is useless !!! On left eye I can see some % of right eye and the same on right eye. So that is very very annoying. Software to veiew 3D is very very slow. To measure time from click button to finaly see picture on screen you not need stoper/watch rather calendar.

I have used many laptops but never seen so bad tuchpad even in 300$ laptops. This itself make the laptop complately usless as a laptop (if you have to carry mouse everywhere).

The speed of this laptop match others in this category but for much lower price without 3D. Speed very good indeed but ...

If you want just a speed get many laptops which are as fast but cheper without 3D

If you want 3D this is not one for 3D look at any high contrast 3D scene and you will see on both eyes nearly same like you will be watching without glasses.

Good points

its very quiet !! Even when really very very hot air coming out the fun are not crazzy like w hair dryier in other laptops.

not bad sound

i like the DVD/BR drive tray-less

Want HP ENVY 17-2090NR Notebook - Silver Discount?

I bought this laptop a few months back ...

I have had nothing but problems with it !!!

With in the first month the heat sink stopped working, had to send it back to Hp to get it fixed.

That took almost 8-10 days..

Then the laptop started crashing every time i would run movies or videos.

I thought it was a problem with the operating system, but technicians at Microsoft told me

that the error number suggested that it was a hardware problem(mostly with the processor or motherboard)

So I had to send it back again to Hp.

I took them 2 weeks to figure out what the problem was even after i specifically told them what was

happening, because the call center person who i spoke to entered the data wrong(even after i repeated it twice)

Now since last week i m again having problems with the laptop.

Its heating up like crazy & shutting down.

I plan to send it back & ask Hp for my money back,

I have learnt my lesson, NEVER to buy Hp again.. Bad products & worse support you will ever find.

0 comments:

Post a Comment