Hp - Envy 14" Laptop - 8gb Memory - 1tb Hard Drive - Silver

Hp - Envy 14' Laptop - 8gb Memory - 1tb Hard Drive - SilverOverall I would rate this computer a 5, the speed is one of the best out there, RAM is more than enough, and I haven't had any issues related to the computer yet. I got mine at Best Buy, it was significantly cheaper, 630 around black Friday, it is now about 800, and 1000 on Amazon last I checked, its now $700. I would recommend this computer as it is a good computer can do whatever you would throw at it! Read on for the full review!

This is my first time comprehensively reviewing something, so bear with me (I noticed the lack of well written reviews for this on Amazon, and Best Buy for the product) Hopefully this will be of some use to you if you're in the high end computer market, if you're not, I have tips and tricks for Windows 8 at the end, and you might learn the difference between different processors. I'll start with speed/power, then I'll move onto hardware, I'll talk about Windows 8, finally I'll finish with tricks for this specific computer and Windows 8.

A big draw to this computer is the i7 processor, I know that's a big reason I chose this computer. It is difficult to find a reasonably priced i7, as it requires everything else to be top notch as well, so be aware of that. The main difference between the 3rd generation i5 and i7 is 4-way vs. 8-way processing, respectively. I'll try to explain it in a way that hopefully the average reader can understand. My little disclaimer, I'm no expert and all I know about this is from a friend, this friend plans to attend MIT majoring in computer science/math, so I'm confident he knows what he is talking about. IF you don't know what the difference odds are you don't need it. Having said that, programs keep demanding more and more to run well, and this should last a long time in that regards. Computers run things called threads, these are what makes the program work sort of like thinking about a fully developed task. When one gets multiple threads running it would be like being able to focus on multiple things at once at perform them to peak capacity, akin to Sherlock Holms in the TV show Elementary. An i3 computer is probably one way processing, and that means that it can only focus on one thread at once and has to cycle through them, this taking longer. While running one thread on a one-way processing that is just as fast as one thread on an 8-way. Now that you hopefully understand that: Why does it matter? For most people, not at all, 8 threads is a lot to run at once. Most programs aren't capable of using more than one, though some are, the high-end and demanding ones can. So basically for normal to high computer use this computer will work very well, as would a cheaper i5 option. But restate what I said earlier, this computer won't become obsolete anytime soon. 8 GB of RAM is plenty for the above qualifiers, 4 would be good for a home computer, 6 for a moderate computer, and 8 for a high end, and more can be achieved, but if you need it you know it.

The processor and RAM aren't lacking anything, but what about the hardware? I haven't had the opportunity to utilize much of the hardware; so I will try to describe what I can. I'll start with most used and work my down that way. The screen, the stock resolution is 1366 X 768 with a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is the same resolution and aspect ratio of a 760p TV, and given this is much smaller than a TV very good. The picture I have as my background a Hubble NASA shop, 17.4 mega pixels, and it looks amazing! It has many different colors and depth to it, it looks like what I think it's supposed to look like, though the real thing would be much more spectacular. The touch pad the simple stuff is easy to do, and I'll say later how to optimize it. When I first started using it, I couldn't make the scroll work, and now I have no problem. The touchpad itself did feel a little "sticky" but I think that's because I normally haven't used a laptop in the past.

The internet, not something you probably care a particular amount about, as long as it works. It does have the newest type of card. I am just coming out of having the internet not turn on, and after restarting several times I finally "refreshed" the computer, updating the driver probably would have done it. I suspect it was an isolated case and had more to do with the OS or driver than the actual hardware. The wireless connects very fast, you turn it on and it's connected, unlike my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. The feature that I use the most of after that is the fingerprint reader. This is very helpful, it can stow website logins and passwords for you, but still require a finger swipe to stay secure, it can log you into the computer as well; I'll explain how later. Next, the speakers. These are amazing, they can get very loud, very high quality, to a recreational listener. It also has a "HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer" which does a good job at making basses not sound at all cheesy. I have plugged the computer into a TV, via VGA, and left the sound on the computer, and I couldn't tell it was the computer and not the built in TV speaker. The webcam, I haven't tried any video calling service yet, so I don't know how well that works, I'll try to upload a picture of me from the web cam for you to see in normal fluorescent public lighting. The microphone, I haven't used at all, I assume it works well. The hardware in the computer is good, the boot up time is about 30 seconds, from off to usable, with fingerprint reader used as login.

EDIT:

I have now used SKYPE on the computer, and it works great, no issues at all. The microphone works well enough for general purposes. The one tricky thing with the audio on this computer is when one plugs in headphones. With, or without a built in microphone. If you don't go into the Beats sound panel, you'll hear the other sounds around you, really quite amazingly well with the headphone mic or the built in mic. The bass is okay on it, nothing air shattering, but not tinny or cheesy either.

I was hesitant to get a Windows 8 computer, all the commercials are for a mobile platform version, and a laptop is much different than a tablet. The main difference is the start menu, which takes little time to get used to how to use it. Once you get used to that it is much easier than at least Vista, and 7, I have very little experience with 7. Compatibility, I haven't had any issues with any program at all, some downloads will tell there is a Windows 8 version available, and I use those, as they are optimized for 8. The two main non-windows programs I run are PTC software, Mathcad and Creo, which are a math sheets programming software, and a 3D CAD software, they both run fine, and as fast as they would on any computer. 8 is also very easy to customize, I'll explain that later as well. I now like the Windows 8 operating system, it is easy to use, search, and customize.

List of features:

* Fingerprint reader

* Webcam and mic

* Wireless internet

* Beats audio

* Backlit keyboard

* 1 TB hard drive disk

* 8GB RAM (DDDR3)

* Quad core 3rd gen i7 2.4 GHz with 3.2 turbo boost, 8-way processing

* 720p screen

* Qwerty keyboard, no number pad

* No Bluetooth

* Intel 4000 graphics (~1.6 GB dedicated graphics RAM) again, if you need more you know it.

* Comes with Norton Anti-Virus

* Windows 8

* 2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 (3.0 is back compatible to USB 2.0 and 1.0, and the 2.0 also works with 1.0)

* Full size HDMI port

Tips and Tricks (HP Envy m4):

* Keep the black thing in-between screen ad keyboard, will keep screen from getting g key residue on it, my brothers computer has done this.

* The touchpad can be turned off by the little rectangle in the top left corner of the pad.

* The setting for the touchpad, 3-4 finger press and swipe, scrolling, and more, can be found by typing "touch" into the start menu and selecting settings. FYI: the scrolling is automatically inverted but isn't hard to change.

* The keyboard is backlit, press f5 to turn it on and off, it can really only be seen the dark, and then very well, good job to HP for making that easy!

* Volume and internet controls can be found on the bar on the bottom of the screen, orange light is off/muted white or no light means on/unmuted.

* Screen brightness can be controlled with the f2 &f3 keys.

* Playback controls work with music, and YouTube.

* There's a nifty key right to the right of the space bar and alt key, it right clicks for you.

* Display change is f4, click it to select how to display, computer monitor only, extended screen, duplicate, second screen only.

* I cannot figure out what the fn key does, there don't appear to be any fn keys to hit, yes unfortunately no fn number pad. EDIT: The fn key does allow for the normal f1-f12 buttons to be used.

* To change the Dr. Dre Beats audio settings, type that into the start menu than settings. Volume can be controlled through Windows as well. (Mic settings are here)

* There is no Bluetooth, a cheap dongle works and is small enough to leave in the one USB 2.0, leaving 2 3.0 ports (combatable with 2.0 and 1.0 devices) for use.

* The Bluetooth dongle I ended up getting works very well and has a lot of neat tricks to it this is what I gotKinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter For Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista. its the newest bluetooth, 4.0, as well.

Tips and Tricks (Windows 8):

Since this is a new Operating system I'll share what I've learned so far.

* To go to the start menu hit the windows key, to go to what is on the

desktop windows key +D

* To search for things in this OS just go to the start menu and type typing, and select whether you want apps(programs)/settings/files

* To search a Windows app, swipe left on the keypad select search and start typing, and you can search jus within the app.

* To close a program/app, not all of them have the beloved x we have all come to love, hit alt + f4.

* To make a window smaller use alt + f5.

* I would recommend making it so that it when the power button is pressed that it goes into "hibernation" which moves the RAM to the hard drive and turns off, so that you can turn it on and have the same things running and in the same state when it turns back on, and that's so fast anyway I do that to save between school and home, 15 min drive.

* To change power plans, for high performance, energy saving, and more, or a custom plan, type "chose a power plan "into start menu > settings. First option, you can customize max cpu usage, screen brightness, power button, what happens when the lid closes, wireless quality, graphics, a ton of options.

* I would look for a app in the store before downloading one online, they take up less room, and don't go away if a refresh is needed.

* On any computer it is a good idea to make restore points, points that the computer will restore to if it is needed, it saves programs, but not files. The refresh system option keeps files. To make type "create restore point" into start menu > settings > first option then create in the bottom of the window, a date is a good name for it.

That sums up the written part of this review, I will try to upload some picture for you to see. If you have any questions about capabilities, or anything I missed, comment and I will try to answer! I tried to write this un-biasly, beyond when I gave my opinion. I would recommend this; laptop, it will not become obsolete anytime soon. Good laptop for a college application, screen isn't too small nor too big, powerful enough to run programs they would give you, unless you'd be majoring in computer science, and then I'm still confident it would work, but you wouldn't need to read most of the review if you are going into that. sorry for the bad formatting, Amazon must not support formatted copying.

I bought this laptop on Black Friday at Best Buy. Right off the bat, I can say I LOVE this laptop.

Here's what I was looking for in a laptop:

Something very portable: I am in college and wanted to be able to carry it around everywhere so I wanted something thin and light. I debated between 15.6 and 14 inch laptops and decided on a 14 inch. I am very happy I did so. It is still way bigger than those silly 11 inch net books that make my hands cramp up when I'm typing a paper! This laptop is perfectly sized for portability while still having many features that are usually lost with very small/thin laptops (like a CD/DVD drive!)

Something powerful: If I am going to be putting several hundred dollars up to buy a laptop, I don't want it to be slow and out of date the next year. This laptop comes with a a top of the line i7 processor! (In case you didn't know, it goes i3, i5, i7; with i7 being the best.) This laptop can run high quality games (like Diablo 3 which I play sometimes) with ease. With the i7 processor, I can run AutoCad and other memory intensive programs with ease and simultaneously with other programs running too. Anyway, this computer has a very powerful processor that will do anything you need.

Something sturdy: I hate picking up a laptop and having it just feel cheap. Previous laptops I've owned were just bulky plastic. I didn't want that and the HP Envy m4 is the opposite of that. It is very sleek and and feels great and solid.

Something that could hold everything I wanted: Even though Solid State hard drives are faster with data transfer and just faster in general, you cannot get a lot of storage space with them. Many of the solid state laptops I looked at for the same price only offered like 128 GB of storage. That can't even hold all of my iTunes without all my favorite programs, movies, and documents. This laptop has a 1 Terabyte hard drive! Thats 1000 GB! I love having the option to have everything with me wherever I go with much more space for down the road. I did consider an external portable hard drive with a solid state laptop but ultimately decided that would just be a hassle and I would hate not having my music (or anything that didn't fit on the tiny hard drive) with me whenever I wanted without plugging in an external hard drive.

That's what I wanted in a laptop and the HP Envy m4 perfectly fits that description at a great price (even at full price). I think this laptop is still cheaper on Best Buy's website even after Black Friday than Amazon right now which is weird.

On top of the main components I wanted in a laptop, this laptop has a lot of bells and whistles that I really like.

The back lit keyboard is very nice for typing in low light situations.

The finger print scanner is awesome! I thought I would just use it to get into my computer (instead of typing a password every time) but I use it on every website I need to log into! Once you log into a website once, the HP program asks if you want to save that username, password, and website to your fingerprint. I love how fast it makes logging into anything while still maintaining security!

Don't forget the Beats Audio by Dre! I always thought it was just another gimmick in the commercials that some rapper would put his name on and endorse a laptop. But I am extremely impressed. This laptop plays music VERY loud and extremely clear. A very nice little bonus to this already amazing laptop.

I have not had any problems with this laptop at all. This is my first time using Windows 8 but I'm figuring it out and enjoy the little improvements and shortcuts they have made.

I will update this as I play with my laptop more and use it more but I have had it a week now and still absolutely love it! Hope this will help you in your search for a new laptop!

God Bless,

Michael

Buy Hp - Envy 14" Laptop - 8gb Memory - 1tb Hard Drive - Silver Now

I got this for Christmas after choosing it at Best Buy. I got it for around $630, which at the time, was the best deal in the store. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love this laptop. It does absolutely anything I want it to, plus being portable.

It Has...

1TB of hard drive storage (A lot, plenty for lots of games)

8GBs of RAM (You can do or play anything with no problem or lag)

Intel i7 processor (top of the line)

2 USB 3.0 (super fast data transfer)

HDMI (hook up high-def devices)

Metal case (very strong and aesthetically pleasing)

Backlit keyboard (type in the dark)

Webcam (video chat with others)

Fingerprint scanner (great security)

Beats Audio (These are great speakers; best computer speakers I've ever heard. There is even a little sub-woofer at the bottom)

Windows 8 (whether you like this or not is up to you, I like it)

As mentioned, great portability (This thing is sleek and light, so you won't have to worry about weight)

Not too sure on the battery... I keep it plugged most of the time.

14" screen (Big enough, yet portable)

OK screen. 720p.(Nothing spectacular. I have mine hooked up to a 1080p monitor so I don't worry about that. It's good enough)

And what the hell is the deal with everyone rating computers down because of the trackpad? Who uses that? Get a mouse if the trackpad is really bad. This one's OK, I guess. I don't really care, though. I use a mouse.

That might not even be all, but I don't remember. But anyway, if you are looking for a good, (depending on where you get it from) affordable, and fast computer, look no further.

If you have any questions, ask in the comments and I'll answer.

Read Best Reviews of Hp - Envy 14" Laptop - 8gb Memory - 1tb Hard Drive - Silver Here

I love this laptop, the i7 chip, 8gb memory and 1tb hard disk provide enough computing power for professional usage. The even better thing is this is a 14 inch laptop, not like other 17inch laptop with similar technical, 14inch makes it easy to be carried. I can put into my back-case and take it to anywhere easily. Thanks HP, powerful laptop not equal to heavy one. If you are looking for some laptop for professional usage, not a desktop, this is definitely a good choice.

Want Hp - Envy 14" Laptop - 8gb Memory - 1tb Hard Drive - Silver Discount?

Los recomiendo ampliamente, el producto llego a tiempo, con sus especificaciones tal cual la publicacion, excelente producto, volveria a comprar otro con los ojos cerrados.

Save 32% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment