SAMSUNG RV-511-A01 Notebook

SAMSUNG RV-511-A01 NotebookThe previous reviews covered most (if not all) of the positives about this computers. As for one reviewer's dislike of the keyboard, that's clearly a matter of taste as I find the keyboard OK, position-wise and the feel of the keys.

Anyhow, to take up the issue stated in this review title. The first thing I did after acquiring the RV-511 was to junk Windows 7 and install GNU-Linux Ubuntu 10.04. This is the most recent Long Term Support Ubuntu distro. It installed without ANY problems at all. And needed only the Broadcom driver to get wifi working faultlessly. I disabled the touchpad (it is very sensitive) and use a mouse instead. The screen is bright with good color rendition. The sound, well, mediocre comes to mind.

The RV-511 runs very quietly and cool. I've monitored the temperatures fairly frequently and they are well below the point where the fan needs to cut in.

For the few Windows apps that don't have any near (or as good as) Linux equivalents available from the repositories, I installed VirtualBox with Windows XP SP3 as the guest OS. I've had this on a desktop for over a year now and it is ultra stable, no problems at all.

I'm very pleased with this machine. It has been running now for 3 months It performs very well and, so far, no hassles. As far as looks are concerned, it's an attractive package, silver and black lid, silver case and a nice glossy black keyboard panel.

I bought this laptop about 8 months ago and I absolutely love it. I am a teacher and move from school to school during the day so it travels everywhere with me. I have not had a single problem with it so far, despite the abuse it takes on a daily basis. I absolutely love the "quick restart" after closing the lid because when I am teaching it is nice that my computer is back on in 5 seconds. My old computer took a minute before I could get back on and access programs. The keyboard types very easily and it doesn't feel like a "laptop" keyboard to me. Having a side number keypad was absolutely essential for me as well, which this computer does. My only complaint is that the silver finish near the keyboard is a little scratched up, but again, I am not easy on it. As long as it is still working okay, it doesn't bother me. Despite the wear, I still have students saying how fancy the laptop looks even though this was relatively cheap compared to comparable laptops of equal build. I love the screen it is very bright and I usually keep the brightness near the lowest setting to help with battery life and I find the brightest settings are just too bright for my eyes. The computer is great at multitasking I am often running MS Word, PowerPoint, and internet at the same time, and sometimes have Adobe Photoshop going too, which is a huge program. I was hesitant when I bought it to break away from the more popular brands of computers (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.) but I am so glad I did. I am so much happier with this computer than I was with my last few and would buy another one in a heartbeat! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a durable, quality computer.

Buy SAMSUNG RV-511-A01 Notebook Now

I just bought this computer 2 days ago,

I had a much more expensive HP before hand, it broke within a year & never operated correctly...

I couldn't install windows 7 on it because something messed up the first time and I had to do a complete system reboot to even be able to watch videos or listen to music on it.... essentially it wasn't worth what I paid...and I/computer techs couldn't figure out this problem for 6 months! so essentially I didn't watch videos or listen to music for 6 months on a comp... HP finally fixed it with a system reboot.

So I began researching Samsung considering we have a tv and a phone in my house by them (we got the tv to replace a sony tv that blew out within a year, don't buy a sony tv ppl!) and it seemed like they have about the same standards as most hp's...if not better.

but I find the design better, I don't feel like i'm going to break it if I drop it. I dropped my HP and it broke, the costs were almost as much as my new samsung to fix it... it just wasn't worth it.

the whole bezel as they called it was connected to the other side of the computer, all the way across the 16' laptop, on my samsung, it has 2 hinges connected to the bottom verses all the way across, it seems like a cheaper fix if it did break.

I love everything about this laptop, the keyboard gives me the feeling that i'm using a mac, it doesn't have the deep crevices that you can't clean like regular laptops, it's buttons are almost flush with the actual computer which I like...

the ONLY 2 things I dislike about it is the mouse, it scrolls, but you can scroll on any part of the mouse pad, you can also go left or right...but that becomes a burden because you can barely move yours fingers left or right not meaning to & you'll be on a whole other page. It also claims to have 5hrs worth of battery the most i've gotten even on power saver is 4... other than that, great design, light weight, beautiful display, and great for the price!

Read Best Reviews of SAMSUNG RV-511-A01 Notebook Here

I bought this computer from BestBuy it has the Wimax imbedded in it for the internet that was why I bought it but Clear 4g internet is slow and drops connection also has limited connection .It took 3 days to hookup at the Geeksquad, I've had to take it in 3 times to be rebooted, lousing all my pictures and data programs. Finally it just quit working altogether.

Want SAMSUNG RV-511-A01 Notebook Discount?

This machine got rave Top 10 reviews when it was released, had a low price point, and seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. Keypad, chicklet keyboard, good RAM and CPU, great look, etc.

It just doesn't have what it takes to run as a basic, day-to-day home laptop. Degrading speed, poor battery life, the CD is cheap-I mean CHEAP, the keyboard layout is bizarre and unintuitive, the energy controls do weird shut downs and reboots are required, etc.

I swapped it out at BestBuy twice, just to be sure, and nothing changed. In the meantime, my 15YO son has been torquing the heck out of an HP laptop, gaming, Skyping, and doing homework simultaneously, with no degradation or hiccups whatsoever...

0 comments:

Post a Comment