HP Pavilion dv6-3010us 15.6-Inch Laptop

HP Pavilion dv6-3010us 15.6-Inch LaptopI bought this unit two weeks ago from the office store named after the stadium where the Lakers play. The tech manager recommended it based on the specs, price and the fact that it had the lightscribe laser that could firmware upgrade to the new color lightscribe and a DVD burner that could easily be replaced by a Blu for about $99 via HP direct, if I wanted. It also can be upgraded to 8GB of RAM, something not all of the newer notebooks can do...many still max at 4GB. They had it on sale for $200 off list, then I had a $50 off any computer coupon, $50 for trading in an 8 yr old desktop, and there is a $50 rebate out there, for those willing to find it. At this price, I figured, "what the heck, I really didn't need that Core i5 that much, did I?"

Wow, now that I've owned it for a while, I am impressed. This unit is light for a 15.6" lappie and runs cool, I get almost 4 hours on the std battery (6+ hrs on a recently purchased 9 cell!) and it is fast and easy to use. It took a while to get used to the keyboard (HP trying to emulate Apple here...island style with no num pad) and the touchpad is challenging, at least to start (again, the Apple emulation thing....): however, I love how easy it is to turn off the touchpad and, with the built-in bluetooth...something you don't find all of the time in these lappies...it is easy to just add a bluetooth mouse, and away you go. Internet connection is great, with the unit smacking my Dell netbook upside down from any spot in our home....

Typically, HP has their bloatware installed, but that can be easily fixed. As others have reported, the USB ports are a little tight; however, I've had no issues with them at all. I love the new 'champagne' color as it shows no fingerprints at all compared to their previous units. I would have preferred the AC connection to be on the back instead of the right side; however, I can work around this. The speakers sound great for a low-end lappie...might've liked a little more volume on the top end but: what the heck....

The screen is bright and resolution/picture quality is excellent for a low-end lappie. Built-in webcam is OK, however, I would have preferred a higher resolution; however, the built-in bluetooth more than makes up for this as I use the bluetooth more. The AMD dual core proc with premium ATI graphics is a workhorse and does it's job well. A high-end gamer machine? Nope...what do you expect for this price?

Not sure about those who rate this poorly. They must've gotten a bad unit 'cause I'm quite pleased, especially for the price.

Recommended, especially if you can get the price down like I did.

Let me start by saying that I have had this computer for about 8 months and that I only paid 450 for it new. That was the reason I bought it, other than I have an old HP laptop that is still kicking (longer than my moms, wifes, and brothers Dell). So I suppose I am partial to HP's. The reason I am writing this review is because in hindsight I wish I would have spent more and got either a better overall computer or at least one without this AMD processor.

The Good:

-Screen is nice bright and crisp

-Lots of ram and features for the money

-Keyboard is pretty good but does feel a little flimsy(has not broke yet so it must be ok)

-Solid hinges: have not loosened over time

-Windows7 Is a huge upgrade from my old HP that still had xp

The bad:

-Battery only lasts about 2 hours unplugged(sometimes less)..on the good side, the charge still holds the same as new

-Cooling fan: Gets ridiculously loud(always has)...it sounds like its going to get up and fly off the desk. I know its to cool the processor but should it really get that hot? ...maybe that is why the battery life is pretty short

-Start up time: I know it is not an Apple but why can you start them in literally 2 seconds and be on the internet and this takes 2 minutes(come on Microsoft).

The Really Bad:

-Touch Pad: Absolute garbage. It does things if you are typing and your fingers are merely close to it...It is so obnoxious when typing because it will all of a sudden move your cursor to some random spot in your paper so now you are typing into the middle of your paper, and have to erase and then go back. IT DOES THIS ALL THE TIME. If I had known about this, I would have not bought this PC.

On a good note, you can disable the touchpad. I bought a wireless mouse to overcome this and it is now fine. (Microsoft 4000:first battery lasted 5 months and I never even turned it off!)

Buy HP Pavilion dv6-3010us 15.6-Inch Laptop Now

So I looked at the negative reviews and I must disagree. I work on several computers every day and you must adjust to each keyboard so to blame the "extra keys on the left" for mistakes are user error. My system has been flawless so far, had it since October 10. I have done 2 bios updates and as long as you don't screw with it when updating they work just fine. Now to the track pad yes it is a little sanative but with use you can master it. I almost always use an usb mouse with this system and that solves it all.

All in all a nice system for a decent price have recommended it to several people who are satisfied with theirs too!

Read Best Reviews of HP Pavilion dv6-3010us 15.6-Inch Laptop Here

i have had it for a month with no issues. i it has no problems. who knows what it may devlop in the future, but as far as laptops go it works great and is fast.No hardware issues no software issues. I read some of the bad reviews, if they are true well i thinks theirs a case of bad luck. But my machine works the way it should, fast and has not let me down with any issues

Want HP Pavilion dv6-3010us 15.6-Inch Laptop Discount?

I have had this computer for a few years now and I am about ready to throw it at a wall!!!!

It has overheating problems like crazy because the "brilliant" engineers at HP put the heatsync for the cpu right in front of the fan so it collects dust there and causes the laptop to get very hot and overheat! By hot I mean singing to the skin! It is so hot that an dual-fan cooling mat won't even keep it from overheating!

The overheating has also greatly affected the battery life limiting it to 5 minutes! It is practically a desktop!

The trackpad is also very annoying and I greatly prefer to use a wireless mouse.

Another downside is that if you do a fresh install of say Windows Ultimate, nothing works! NOTHING! You have to somehow get all of the drivers from HP's website and install them on your laptop!

Then we come to the processor itself! An AMD Turion II processor... I do not have a clue what I was thinking buying this! It can't do half of what I'd like it to! I have now grown to distrust and hate most of all HP products!

0 comments:

Post a Comment