Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 17.0-Inch Laptop

Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 17.0-Inch LaptopThe brief assessment

The Satellite L355 is a large, heavy portable I can't make myself call it a LAP-top machine that provides sufficient computing power to run Vista in full Aero mode, decent hard disk storage, good 17-inch display, adequate IO, a somewhat subpar near-full-size keyboard and a few bells and whistles such as 801.11g Wi-fi and integrated Webcam and microphone. The bundled free software includes Microsoft Works, Skype, some games and some annoying '60-day-trial' bloatware such Norton 360.

Overall, this is a good machine if travel is not its main purpose and if the relatively low price is factored in. It will replace a basic desktop once a mouse is added.

______________________________________________________

Detailed review

Delivery and physical setup

---------------------------

The 'laptop' comes securely packaged in a relatively small box. The package is easy to open and there isn't a lot of assembly required. Besides the laptop's body, there is the power supply, a couple of CDs and not much else.

Specs

-----

Dual-core Intel T3400 processor at 2.16 GHz

3GB SDRAM expandable to 4GB

250GB hard drive

17" display

802.11b/g Wi-fi

DVD drive

Webcam + microphone

3 USB 2.0 ports

Modem

Ethernet port

RGB monitor port

5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter slot that supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital, MMC and xD media

Near full-size keyboard with numeric keypad

Touchpad

On the Vista performance benchmark, the Satellite scores a 3.3 with 'graphics' accounting for its lowest scores 3.3 for Aero and 3.4 for 3D business and gaming and the CPU (5.1) and the hard drive (5.3) being the highest.

Setup

-----

Vista Setup begins as soon as the power button is pressed and it completes quickly. Once an account is created and after given permission, the Satellite was able to quickly find and join my Wi-fi network and download and install the latest mostly Vista updates over 40 of them.

To my surprise, there wasn't a lot of bloatware, Norton 360 60-day trial being the most annoying of them all its window pops up and it can't be closed, the only apparent option being to run the setup. I was able to get rid of it by immediately removing it and other unwanted 'free' or 'free trial' offers such as NetZero before touching their setup processes. The Google Toolbar installed itself before asking but a 'thank you' pops up when it's finished.

Explorer and Windows Media Player are present but it was easy to install my favorite browser (Chrome) and relegate the Explorer to the second-tier, 'backup browsers' status.

Once the Norton 360 is removed, Vista begins to complain about its lacking virus protection. One reasonable truly free offer, and this is what I installed, was Avira. Once Avira was installed, I was able to register it with Defender and Vista stopped complaining.

Other pre-installed but not '60-day trial' packages included are Picassa and Google Desktop. They can be easily downloaded off the Net but I don't mind them being there since they do not interact intrusively with the user.

Operation and Ergonomics

------------------------

As I mentioned already, the keyboard is a little unusual. While large, some of the keys are not where I would expect them the Fn and Ctrl keys, for example are switched as compared with my familiar Thinkpad layout, the shapes of the 'Backspace' and 'Tab' are a little odd and so is the layout of the top row function keys. I would not type my next novel on this keyboard. Being a spoiled Thinkpad user, I missed the little knob that controls the mouse pointer movements. The touch pad works but it doesn't work for me. I wasn't comfortable until I attached a Logitech Nano cordless mouse by inserting its little dongle into one of the 3 available USB ports.

In my opinion, the display is the best part in the Satellite. It's large and it's bright. Wide-screen DVD movies play great on it but, sadly, this being a Toshiba (not a Sony) the optical drive does not support Blu-ray.

The integrated Webcam works well with apps such as Google Chat or Skype and it's well integrated and easy to use.

The Satellite weight really, really heavy does not make it suited for frequent travel. Its lacking a docking station add-on does not make it a good telecommuting choice.

______________________________________________________

Rating and evaluation

The Satellite 355's size and weight do not make it a good choice for anyone looking for a traditional 'laptop'. However, anyone looking for a 'sometimes portable desktop' that integrates just about everything other than the mouse, this can be a good compromise. This is exactly what I wanted for one of my sons and I am therefore happy with my purchase.

______________________________________________________

CUSTOMER SUPPORT (6 months later)

I am trying to find a not-so-harsh word to describe's Toshiba's attitude toward their customers but I must give up so I'd rather present the facts.

When this laptop's screen broke (apparently my son broke it so warranty didn't apply) Toshiba demanded that I paid almost what it took to buy the laptop NEW six months or so ago subtract 50 from the sale price and you'd get an idea. The alternative was to go directly to one of Toshiba's authorized repair centers but, after calling a couple, it was clear that they were going to bill me for even more than Toshiba demanded.

I will now have to decide between taking a gamble and buying the display myself (it's not too expensive and about 1/4 of what Toshiba asked to fix my laptop) or learn to live with a broken display attach a keyboard and a monitor to the laptop and use it as a desktop. By the way, Toshiba makes it VERY hard for 'regular people' to replace parts themselves. One must run a setup utility whenever parts are replaced and enter some codes to register the part. Both the setup utility and the codes are given to Toshiba's authorized centers only so that they can overcharge customers.

I find this to be completely unacceptable and this is probably the last Toshiba product I will ever buy. Consumers should be viewed as 'valuable customers' not helpless cash cows with big wallets to be milked over and over again because they don't have alternatives.

By contrast, other vendors are way better. Electronics don't break too often but here are my few experiences. I had a Philips monitor that broke in what turned out to be the last week of 'warranty'. Philips fixed it and, amazingly, all they asked from me was the monitor's serial number. I bought a Samsung DLP TV that had a VERY SMALL display defect. After several attempts at repair failed, Samsung replaced it with a new TV and they reset the warranty to the date the NEW TV was delivered. A Sony digital camera got drenched at Niagara Falls and the LCD display in the back stopped working. Sony fixed it for a VERY REASONABLE fee, even though it was no longer under warranty. These are companies I will continue to patronize. Toshiba is not one of them.

And, one more thing. The usual wait time on hold is over 15 minutes, and this is AFTER the offshore call-taker picks up the phone and makes some time-wasting, unneeded and annoying scripted chit-chat ("is it okay if I call you by the first name?" and "[first name inserted here], what are you using your computer for?").

I bought my laptop from another online vendor w/ 5 easy payments, so mine was a little more expensive than Amazon.com.

I love the color, It's not lightning fast, but quick enough, the keyboard is great for typing assignments, the number keys to the right are great, that is the main reason I chose a 17 inch laptop, plenty of hard drive space, and 3 GB is fine, but can be upgraded to 4. This is a very quiet laptop, the best I've ever owned.

Buy Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 17.0-Inch Laptop Now

The computer works great

But the warranty is worthless.

Not covering the broken LCD screen and/or visable outside covers/plastic or powersupply is common. But Toshiba has wording (they donot share with you beyoned the small print) that allowes them to not cover internal brakage. Our $249 extanded on site 3 year warranty purchase proved worthless when the internal power connector got loose. At the Toshiba dealer site they wanted $425 to fix it. A power connector.

If you feel this is 'fair and customery" buy Toshiba. Otherwise go with Dell or Panasonic.

Read Best Reviews of Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 17.0-Inch Laptop Here

I have had this laptop about three weeks now. First the good:

1. Amazon did a great job getting it to me fast and at a great price

2. Toshiba does a great job at the way they package this laptop. There customization and user manual is top rate

3. Toshiba service has been great to work with

4. Great ten key keyboard

5. I like have a manual switch to turn off the wireless card..cool feature

6. Nothing is in the back of the laptop making all connections very easy to get to

7. The performance and picture quality are wonderful

The bad:

1. The laptop is physically very big. I haven't traveled with it yet...but I am concerned with using it in coach on a plane

2. The finish is shinny black and it shows finger prints. I wish it had silver trim like in the Amazon picture. Mine didn't.

The ugly:

1. The DVD drive was broke on delivery. It worked but made loud noises

2. The NIC card broke after only one week

3. A local authorized Toshiba dealer repaired in about one week. It was like waiting for Christmas

4. I had the option of sending back to Amazon but elected not to because I had invested so much time in customizing it

5. I have had the laptop back one week now and it rocks. I am glad I had it repaired. The repair dealer highly recommended buying an extended warantee because of the expense of just having it looked at. I believe this to be sound advise. Also note that you need to do this right away because Toshiba only gives you a very short time to do it.

The moral of this story. Good things come in time.

Enjoy...it's still a great laptop.

Want Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 17.0-Inch Laptop Discount?

Good: Price bought it from Office Depot for $499. Fast enough, not for gamers, though. Very, very quiet. Easy to use, good memory and HD size, CPU for the price. Full size keypad. Outstanding quality of the screen. Excellent replacement for desktop.

Cons: Weight, battery life, portable enough to move it @ home, however, not for frequent fliers.

Overall, strongly recommended for quality vs the price.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post! Can’t wait for the next one. Keep stuff like this coming.

Asus - 17.3" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Black

Asus - 15.6" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive

Post a Comment