Lenovo ThinkPad X201i 3249MDU 12.1-Inch Laptop

Lenovo ThinkPad X201i 3249MDU 12.1-Inch LaptopI feel compelled to write a review about the best laptop I've ever owned. I opted to get the low-end X201i (as opposed to more expensive X201 models). For around $850 my machine came with Windows 7 Pro and a camera.

I'm a trial lawyer and depend upon laptops for spreadsheets, videos and document data bases. For the past ten years I've relied upon various Lenovo products, but lately been unable to find one small enough, cheap enough and fast enough. Until now.

The X201i is far superior than the netbooks I've been using, and helpfully smaller than Lenovo's other laptops I've been using.

The X201i, although perhaps not having the same sturdy feel as more expensive Lenovo laptops, is quite durable. It isn't all that stylish, and is a throwback to Lenovo laptops I used 8 years ago, but it does it all.

Mine came with the 9 cell battery, which is way more than enough for long cross-country flights. In fact, it replaces my netbook which I would carry around for hours for light reading and notes. It replaces my more robust and larger Lenovos used for database work.

Another reason why I vastly prefer this small notebook over the netbooks is the pointer stick which to me is the most efficient way of mousing around a laptop

As a programmer and a notebook buff, for me the X201 is pretty close to perfect as a primary portable machine. I've always had a thing for the Thinkpads of yore, and this iteration does not disappoint. The locking lid, no-nonsense industrial look, and matte finish make for classic perfection. In terms of build quality it seems lighter and more plastic than say the T40 but no less sturdy. There's hardly any flex in the chassis and I can lift the lid with just one hand. There's no denying it is *significantly* bigger than the 4:3 aspect X60, and the LCD bevel is a lot thicker, but on the upside the keyboard is fantastic! I would say it is more enjoyable than the MS ergo 4000 I use for work, though the left-hand palm rest is a bit limited, and I would recommend binding capslock to control as with any other laptop keyboard.

Even the X201i configuration with i3-370M and 2GB RAM manages anything I throw at it without flinching, including HD videos. What really impresses me is how cool and quiet it stays, even with the lid closed for hours while compiling something. In contrast my Lenovo S10 netbook gets extremely hot with the lid closed. I might up the RAM for something heavier though like the Android emu, and perhaps add an SSD later.

Software-wise, most people might be pleasantly surprised that it comes with Win 7 Pro. I am delighted that Ubuntu 10.10 works great on it, though it takes some tweaking to get the middle button scrolling with the trackpoint working.

Most might consider the display a downside -the viewing angle is narrow (which might not be a disadvantage for business users), and the contrast and color gamut are severely limited. Photo editing would be awkward on this display, and watching videos is only tolerable. Sound is meager but that's not such a disappointment.

As for ordering/shipping, NY to NY (from J&R) delivery done in a day via UPS and item came in excellent condition. It should be mentioned that the photos of the product both on the Amazon listing and on J&R are not of the actual product (clearly shown is an older X200) or the same configuration (this X201 config has a trackpad), which may bother some people. Also, to be clear, this configuration does not include a webcam, nor Bluetooth and 3G modules.

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad X201i 3249MDU 12.1-Inch Laptop Now

Great product received from J&R on 9/27; arrived safely in good factory packaging,

set up in minutes, and has run fine ever since.

Keyboard is excellent, with full-dimension keys and great tactile feedback.

Screen is very good also ; 12.1" seems perfectly acceptable (and I was using a

22" flat panel with my desktop.)

PROS Great keyboard, very good screen, good performance, compact, light (3 lbs.),

very portable, useful on-board trackpoint and general mouse behavior,

good-looking product

CONS Could have better integrated audio (not bad, though).

Read Best Reviews of Lenovo ThinkPad X201i 3249MDU 12.1-Inch Laptop Here

I needed a lightweight laptop for business and after a lot of research I ended up with this x201i. I couldn't be happier. The build is extremely solid, the weight is light, and the screen is great. The highlight is the keyboard, it is really so smooth and a pleasure to type on.

Pros:

i3 processor meets business needs (excel, access, powerpoint, etc...) with ease.

Great look, especially for those who want to avoid anything flashy (makes the Apple offering look like toys)

Keyboard is top quality

Love the option of touchpoint and tracking pad

No bloat software!

Cons:

2 GB ram

No webcam

$60 price drop a week after purchase (guess this only applies to me)

-

Don't hesitate.

Want Lenovo ThinkPad X201i 3249MDU 12.1-Inch Laptop Discount?

generally a nice little toy, light in weight, good for carrying around, cool look. like everything but a couple of issues:

the most bothersome problem is the display sometimes turns brighter by itself and pictures and everything look a bit weird. This will only go away after restarting the machine.

sometimes, it waits for seconds before responding to my key entries.

thought I am getting a 6-cell battery, but it's a 4-cell one I believe as it lasts only 4.5 hours. This is a parameter should be clearly specified for customers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment